U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:43 AM

465 posts, read 211,707 times

Advertisements

[quote=Compression;49179148]
Just use history as your guide, you'll see that I'm correct. In more ways than one, apparently.

How long may I go back in history?.
We are in what is known as an inter-glacial period, which occur after every ice age dating back 500,000 years. Florida was once completely submerged, and will be again long after we are dust.
Meanwhile, warming water expands.

• Average sea surface temperature was the highest on record. According to four independent datasets analyzed, the record-breaking globally averaged sea surface temperature for 2016 was 0.650.74 degrees F (0.360.41 degrees C) higher than the 19812010 average and surpassed the previous mark set in 2015 by 0.020.05 degrees F (0.010.03 degrees C).
  • Global upper-ocean heat content neared record high. Heat in the uppermost layer of the ocean, the top 2,300 feet (700 meters), saw a slight drop compared to the record high set in 2015. The findings are consistent with a continuing trend of warming oceans.
International report confirms 2016 was warmest year on record for the globe | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM

4,898 posts, read 5,445,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

How long may I go back in history?.
We are in what is known as an inter-glacial period, which occur after every ice age dating back 500,000 years. Florida was once completely submerged, and will be again long after we are dust.
Meanwhile, warming water expands.

Go as far forward, or back as you please. That is the whole point after all.......

It takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time for those changes to make an impact. Why do I need to worry about 600,000 years ago, or 1,000 years (likely more) from now?

We have people saying that they believe "scientists" making claims that in 30 years these changes will occur with devastating effects. And they run around with their hair on fire and demand that the government "do something" about it. Let nature take it's course, it will correct itself in it's own way, at it's own pace.

Pffft! 30 years.......It simply isn't so. History is on my side with this.

CN

Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM

7,319 posts, read 8,477,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Lake Tahoe is completely full and they are STILL skiing all the way in July.

This is why the global warming crowd changed it to simply "climate change" - that way they can blame every single piece of weather on climate change and demand more money to research it.

"Everything is frozen" "It must be GLOBAL WARMING!!!!" "Wait, that doesn't work. Climate change!!!" "Please send your check to...."
Take the research funding away and the concern about global warning will also go away. This is the same "sky is falling crowd" (in Greeley, Colorado!) that has predicted at least a dozen annual hurricanes in Florida .... and been wrong for the past 15+years. But, they still keep collecting their research funding.

For once, it would be nice if these alarmists had a plan (beyond more exorbitant spending and absurd regulations) to keep the sea level from rising, the glaciers from calving and distant asteroids from coming near Earth. These are the folks that Thomas Jefferson warned us about, "May God protect us from politicians who take our money under the pretense of taking care of us."

They get wealthy, the rest of us pay for it ... and the ocean and sky continue to rise and fall, just as they always have. This same crowd built the Tower of Babel many years ago, only to discover they could never reach the heavens and look down on God.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:12 AM

465 posts, read 211,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Go as far forward, or back as you please. That is the whole point after all.......

It takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time for those changes to make an impact. Why do I need to worry about 600,000 years ago, or 1,000 years (likely more) from now?

We have people saying that they believe "scientists" making claims that in 30 years these changes will occur with devastating effects. And they run around with their hair on fire and demand that the government "do something" about it. Let nature take it's course, it will correct itself in it's own way, at it's own pace.

CN
Some of this I agree with, much of the hype is being used to fuel an economy based upon holding back the sea. However unlike New Orleans after Katrina, dams cannot be built upon the southern FL peninsula for the same reason there are no basements.
It is rock/water, and an engineering nightmare.
Beaches cannot be extended, erosion will immediately wash them away.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM

2,473 posts, read 4,302,385 times
Quote:
Some of this I agree with, much of the hype is being used to fuel an economy based upon holding back the sea. However unlike New Orleans after Katrina, dams cannot be built upon the southern FL peninsula for the same reason there are no basements.
Actually beaches were extended or built up in the 1980's. Sand was pumped up from offshore and added to beaches which suffered from erosion.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Simple answer is; do not live near the beach or for that matter if unduly worried, do not live in FL at all.

Oh, if you do live near the beach and are worried, move.

You have 30 to 2000 years (Depending on which scientific report you read) to do it.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:40 PM

8,097 posts, read 6,132,483 times
Quote:

CN
You won't be around for me to tell ya you was wrong. It will be under 30 years, trust me.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM

8,097 posts, read 6,132,483 times
Quote:
Ditto^

SE Florida, SW Florida, Tampa Bay, what have you, 30 years from now, will all be right in the same place it is now. I'd bet on the beaches being made larger, with artificial means, as a way to increase tourist revenue. The coastline isn't going anywhere.

Just use history as your guide, you'll see that I'm correct. In more ways than one, apparently.

CN
It's already going freddie.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Can't disagree at all here.

But I would add....... The beaches routinely get eroded, every couple of years the prior couple of years erosions, mostly by storms and the occasional tropical weather system passing by. And just as routinely, the dredges show up and another "beach renourishment plan" is done. The coastline stays right where it's been.

Humans are pretty industrious critters. Just like ants....... Knock over their mound tonight, when you go out and look in the morning, it will be right back there, bigger and better than it was.

The coastline isn't going far, for very long. The economic impact of allowing that to happen is to great to TPTB.

CN

Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You won't be around for me to tell ya you was wrong. It will be under 30 years, trust me.
I'm telling you your wrong, about the coastline right now. There's a pretty good chance you're correct that I'll "be under" by then. But one never knows, right?

So, why do I need to worry about something that is going to happen, even at a snails pace enough of 30 years, where everyone, has plenty of time to react, and remove themselves, by whatever means, from danger, be it real or imagined?

Should I be happy about throwing my hard earned cash out the window, to feed another government boondoggle program, where most of the money is used for everything but the purpose it was meant for?

The folks that believe this sea level bunk should be volunteering their money, and estates when they leave the planet to such causes if they believe in them so wholeheartedly. In other words, they should pay the freight, nate!

I need to save my money, as you have reminded me, when all this sea level rise comes to pass in an instant, that last little plot of real estate I'll be needing to purchase, on high ground in Michigan, will come with a higher premium....... not to mention I'll be needing a bigger stone also, as I have to add another line stating that....... LKJ1988 was WRONG!

CN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida