Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,220,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Florida is in good fiscal shape, and it would be stellar if we could impose a special annual poll tax on whiners and complainers.
Yup and then use that revenue to fund mandatory one-way tickets back to wherever they came from (back where they got XYZ benefits)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Florida's roads are great, I do not see what there is to complain about.

After living in a few states, and moving from the DC area to Miami a few years ago, I am not really seeing the significant differences in these gov services between the places I lived, but I do see me keeping more of my paycheck in Florida.

I lived in Arlington, VA, a place that loves sucking the money from you, yet to this day, I do not see what more value I was getting in return versus living in Miami.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:55 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,255,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Absolutely correct. You think we need more libraries? My county alone has a few. Maybe too many. Locations: Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative

Frivilous is paying Pit Bull $1 mil from taxpayer funds.....
Pitbull releases terms of $1 million contract with Visit Florida tourism | Miami Herald

Frivilous is hiring people into gov't with no experience
Florida governer put political operative on state payroll | Miami Herald
We have the internet now which makes libraries not needed as much. Why go to the library to find a book on a certain subject when I can just go online and get it?

When I was in college I only checked out a couple books from the library which one was a textbook so I wouldn't have to buy the book new.

Otherwise, I used the internet for research and information.

Kids are too glued to their phones or computer monitors to be bothered to read a book.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
I am quite satisfied in my county and local communities with roads (some brand spanking new), libraries, and the police department, even with elementary public schools; true, middle and high schools are iffy, but there are several public magnet schools that stand out.

New private vehicle marketing, engine technologies and driver technologies will obviate any perceived need for local public rail transportation, so all these years of stagnation may prove to be a blessing: why invest billions in 1950s infrastructure technology, when we are on the verge of once-in-a-century technological breakthrough? Sounds like regressive thinking.

Florida is in good fiscal shape, and it would be stellar if we could impose a special annual poll tax on whiners and complainers.

I second that emotion!

And I too, am more than satisfied in my area with the quality of roads, libraries, amenities etc. and even some the fire stations here are beautiful architecural works of art! Not to mention my husband is retiring in a few years and will have a pension from Florida Retirement System with no real worries of it "running dry" like some other states have done.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:27 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,255,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I second that emotion!

And I too, am more than satisfied in my area with the quality of roads, libraries, amenities etc. and even some the fire stations here are beautiful architecural works of art! Not to mention my husband is retiring in a few years and will have a pension from Florida Retirement System with no real worries of it "running dry" like some other states have done.

Does being incorporated and unincorporated areas matter too? Like here in Charlotte County 41 in Punta Gorda is really nice. The road is smooth, clean and the median is well kept. When you go just across the bridge into unincorporated Charlotte County the road is crap. Pot holes, lane paint fading, uneven pavement, median looks like crap etc. They're slowly repaving it but it's going at a snails pace.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,244,026 times
Quote:
I am quite satisfied in my county and local communities with roads (some brand spanking new), libraries, and the police department, even with elementary public schools; true, middle and high schools are iffy, but there are several public magnet schools that stand out.

New private vehicle marketing, engine technologies and driver technologies will obviate any perceived need for local public rail transportation, so all these years of stagnation may prove to be a blessing: why invest billions in 1950s infrastructure technology, when we are on the verge of once-in-a-century technological breakthrough? Sounds like regressive thinking.

This

Maybe a special tax on those who want higher taxes to pay for things that are not really needed, just feel good ideas. They can show us how well it works out.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,003,801 times
Sarasota County has money to burn and can't spend it fast enough. $12 million to pave over 12 miles of rail road track for joggers, $25 million to create a rowing lake/park. Two miles of Bee Ridge Rd widened. Dozens of functioning intersections being converted to non functioning something they call a roundabout.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,119,459 times
Quote:
Surprised. Thought Alaska was the state giving back dividends to state residents every year.
Alaska was using oil revenue for that. The oil revenue has dropped and those days are gone Alaska's honeymoon with drill, baby drill is over. Towns in Texas are having their well water polluted with fracking chemicals, snuggling up to the oil industry has a long term price.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,220,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Alaska was using oil revenue for that. The oil revenue has dropped and those days are gone Alaska's honeymoon with drill, baby drill is over. Towns in Texas are having their well water polluted with fracking chemicals, snuggling up to the oil industry has a long term price.
And the worst part is that the world is awash in oil. Hardly a good reason to pollute ones state. Glad fl has avoided that so far

Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times
Quote:
Surprised. Thought Alaska was the state giving back dividends to state residents every year.
I was born and raised in Alaska, still have family there.

PFDs are still given to all residents whether you are a child or an adult. The amount changes each year. It's based on the number of eligible people for that year and half of the net income averaged over the 5 recent years. Last year it was a little above $1,000 per person. However, because of budget problems they capped it at $1,000, it should have been more like $2,000... there is an ongoing fight right now regarding the PFD. The amount is usually announced sometime in September.

Alaska is a huge state with a lot of villages and natives who have to be flown into Anchorage when they need real medical attention, it's very costly, plus just managing a state that huge with such a small population is costly as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida