Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 02:06 PM

20,712 posts, read 9,306,205 times

Advertisements

Latest Euro run.

^
EDIT: Note that that's a 24-hour traverse. That is, it'll take a whole day to make it across its path through the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:12 PM

274 posts, read 322,755 times
Thanks James for posting these. The Euro model, which seems to be the best, is pointing to a BIG hit on Miami.
This could turn into something like we've never seen.
If I was in Miami right now I'd probably be going nuts too.
I feel really bad for everyone there.

But I too will keep hoping for a miracle "out to sea" push to the east.
It's just looking less likely right now.

Good luck to everyone and I hope you all find safe places to hunker down!

RunsOncoffee - that's what I would be doing too! Cooking and baking until the very last minute, good for you!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:22 PM

419 posts, read 384,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsOnCoffee View Post
The stores in central FL are getting wiped out. We stocked up on Monday, but I needed a few things for dinner so I went to Publix this morning. The only bread to be found were baguettes, rye & some sort of seeded bread in the bakery or you could pick up some jalapeno hawaiian rolls or s'mores english muffins in the bread aisle. Plenty of eggs, milk and canned goods though.

I'm preparing for worst and hoping for the best. We are canning spaghetti sauce, meatballs & taco meat tonight. I boiled a dozen eggs and if it looks like we are going to get hit hard and lose power I'll boil another dozen. My plan for Friday is to bake muffins, bread, rolls, cookies, brownies & make some rice krispie treats. I'll probably make a pot of soup and boil extra pasta to have on hand so we don't have to waste water if we lose power. All we have is a coleman camping stove so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to heat stuff up. If all this prepping is for nothing at least I won't have to cook dinner for awhile!!!
Hello, fellow central FL person! We also have a small Coleman camping stove, and it served us well several years ago in a couple of hurricanes. As long as I have something to heat water for coffee, I'm good to go. I have a percolator but will probably just do a pour-over to save time.

Amazing, but we're doing the same stuff as you. Any leftover eggs will be hard-boiled before the storm hits. I plan to boil up some pasta too because it will be so easy to reheat. Any meat in the freezer will be cooked and frozen the day before which will give us an extra couple of days to eat if the power goes out. We've been working on the stuff in the freezer this week and are making a dent. When I take something out, I add another tray of ice cubes.

Like you, I'm also planning on making a few things beforehand such as brownies and biscuits. We didn't need a whole bunch of stuff, but I did buy a bag of apples, a bag of oranges, and a couple of boxes of cereal. The dogs are well-stocked on food, and that's the most important thing.

We have several containers for drinking water that will be filled. We usually keep bottled water well stocked during hurricane season and just happened to stock up again last week. We didn't really need it, but it was on sale and being the frugal person I am, I jumped on it. Being cheap sometimes has its advantages.

Here's hoping the storm makes a sharp turn northeast and goes back out in the ocean.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,302,990 times
Oh god! I didn't think about coffee and how to make it if we lose power!!!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:27 PM

20,712 posts, read 9,306,205 times
LOL, there goes the hurricane party!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:28 PM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
Thanks James for posting these. The Euro model, which seems to be the best, is pointing to a BIG hit on Miami.
This could turn into something like we've never seen.
If I was in Miami right now I'd probably be going nuts too.
I feel really bad for everyone there.

But I too will keep hoping for a miracle "out to sea" push to the east.
It's just looking less likely right now.

Good luck to everyone and I hope you all find safe places to hunker down!

RunsOncoffee - that's what I would be doing too! Cooking and baking until the very last minute, good for you!
The so-called Euro model shows the eye of the storm off the coast of Miami-Dade County, close but still off the coast; it comes closer to Palm Beach County.

Of course that could change in three hours or in three days, and we'd like to see it a bit further off the coast.

Hurricanes are comparable to living beings: they seek warmth and water like everybody else, they naturally want to live as long as they possibly can, and so they avoid landfall until they absolutely have to.

People in Miami-Dade County flood zone A have already received evacuation orders. Some will go to shelters, some will stay with relatives in other areas of the County, some will leave altogether.

As long as winds stay under 150 mph, most of us should be fine. And those wind reports you hear refer to top winds and gusts around the inner band. Actual winds that most people experience will be much less.

Thank you for your well wishes!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,115,585 times
That's it! I'm going to Disney tomorrow!! Before I have to come back on Friday and get ready to work during the storm.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 PM

419 posts, read 384,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Oh god! I didn't think about coffee and how to make it if we lose power!!!
Hey Robino1, I can help. We coffee drinkers must stick together! If you have a strainer that will hold a coffee filter and have a way to heat water, you can make coffee. I measure out the water for the number of cups I normally make and heat it to about 190 degrees. If you don't have something like a candy thermometer to measure exactly, just look for when the water is starting to bubble but not yet boiling. Take it off the heat and add your normal amount of coffee. Stir a couple of times, and let it brew in the pot for 90 seconds, less if you like it weak. Hold the strainer with filter over another pot, and pour the coffee through it. Pour yourself a cup of Joe, then cover the rest with a lid to keep as warm as possible. Works for me.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Wine might be more fun.

If the winds are likely to be over 100mph get out. Under that not a problem. Lived i=on the Outer Banks in NC, Kitty Hawk and that was a realistic standard there and for FL.
I agree. I think people forget the strength of the winds we get during our routine summer storms.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,302,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Hey Robino1, I can help. We coffee drinkers must stick together! If you have a strainer that will hold a coffee filter and have a way to heat water, you can make coffee. I measure out the water for the number of cups I normally make and heat it to about 190 degrees. If you don't have something like a candy thermometer to measure exactly, just look for when the water is starting to bubble but not yet boiling. Take it off the heat and add your normal amount of coffee. Stir a couple of times, and let it brew in the pot for 90 seconds, less if you like it weak. Hold the strainer with filter over another pot, and pour the coffee through it. Pour yourself a cup of Joe, then cover the rest with a lid to keep as warm as possible. Works for me.
Thank you!!!! Whew! I'll figure out how to heat water. Right now we are counting on using our charcoal grill for any heating/cooking we might do.

Now to get filters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida