U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 PM

1,909 posts, read 627,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Fortunately, there are many shelters to keep safe those who can't or won't leave. Many are pet friendly now making them accessible for those who used to refuse to leave because of their pets. Shelters are free, so those without the means to flee will be safe and don't have to worry about paying.

While we can afford to leave, we're in a solid block home away from the coast and, as always, will ride it out. We figure leave the evacuations to those in the most vulnerable areas such as along the coast where they have to deal with storm surge and take the first hit. We're in the middle of the state, so hurricanes will always hit land to slow it some before it gets to us.
What I was seeing on the news, and this might have been resolved, is that the shelters are at capacity and over, and turning evacuees away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 12:54 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,735,262 times
I am up here in Michigan with loved ones who are down there. Most evacuated early but a few decided to ride it out. I am especially scared for my cousin and his wife in Fort Myers, literally one mile away from the Gulf. He is on the third story of his condo with neighbors, their place is on the first floor. We offered them a place to stay but they refused to leave. I believe he also couldn't get to a gas station from what I am hearing on the news, if they had gotten to the point where they did change their minds about it. When I call the phone goes straight to voicemail so I have no idea what to think.

Also very scared for the elderly, disabled, and mentally ill without good support networks. All I can do is watch the t.v. and pray to God it goes further west so the storm surge isn't so bad. I have never prayed this hard. With God's grace maybe it will not be as bad as we think. All I know is I can't sleep, haven't slept this whole weekend. And I am praying to Him like I never have before.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-10-2017 at 01:07 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 08:55 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,814,923 times
A lot of people don't realise not everyone CAN leave even if they have the capacity. My dad went back to work yesterday and my mom went back to work today. I know there was no real danger for them though. They are not in flood prone areas and their houses aren't made of sticks.

People have jobs. Bills gotta be paid.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 PM

5,238 posts, read 6,444,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So with Irma, the question comes up, why didn't you leave? I realize some people believe they are safe, they live in a safe house, are on high ground, etc., or they don't want to leave for other personal reasons.

What percentage of people in Irma's projected path actually don't have any way to escape? (I'm not talking about nursing home inhabitants or people who are in prison or hospitals).

How many people who say "they have no way to leave" literally don't have a car, and $100 to buy gas? Nor do they know anyone who has a car, and can help pool together $100 in gas money.

It's just heartbreaking. In Katrina, there were thousands who literally had no way to get out. I saw on CNN today some guy BICYCLING out - that's not going to end well if you just left this afternoon.
Tough question to answer, honestly. But, it goes farther than just not having a way to leave or a place to stay or even not wanting to leave. Hurricane prediction is a guessing game. Yes, it's gotten better over the years, but even with Irma everyone thought it was going to come up the east coast and slam into the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. It was extremely late in the cycle when that changed. Hurricane season is a guessing game, most of the time. Not many people can afford to randomly take a week long vacation because there is a possibility that there is a bad storm heading in their direction. You have to weigh the options of leaving on a possibility and being wrong, or sticking it out until the last minute - and not being able to leave due to gas stations being closed or out of fuel.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 PM

4,763 posts, read 5,276,581 times
Quote:
So again. What percentage of the population doesn't have that ability to pack the car and drive out if they think their lives depend on it.
If you want me to just take a wild guess I'd say about 10% of the population in FL didnt have the means. And maybe another 20% did have the means but it was a stretch.

Those numbers go up much higher looking at the islands in the Caribbean that suffered the worst devastation.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM

5,238 posts, read 6,444,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
A lot of people don't realise not everyone CAN leave even if they have the capacity. My dad went back to work yesterday and my mom went back to work today. I know there was no real danger for them though. They are not in flood prone areas and their houses aren't made of sticks.

People have jobs. Bills gotta be paid.
This too. I work from home, or from a hotel, or from the beach, for that matter. Wherever I have a laptop and internet access I can work. My wife, on the other hand, works in durable medical supplying oxygen and other medical needs to hospice patients. She has to be at work when they are open. Kind of hard to up and leave in that situation.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:08 AM

3,016 posts, read 1,382,313 times
Quote:
Well, if you have a little bit of money, you can do that. Drive out, early, to Alabama and rent a hotel for $50 a night.

I'm just asking, in empathy, how many are stuck without the means to leave although they dearly want to?

You have to buy food wherever you are, so that's a net zero expense.

I think I'm not being clear. How many literally don't have $500 to their name, to flee for their lives, even if they have to put it on a credit card and pay it off in a couple months?

So anyway, my question continues to be (and it hasn't been answered yet) what percentage are unable to leave because of poverty?
This might be a answer to your question:

44 percent of Americans couldn't cover an unexpected $400 expense

Why do you exclude food costs though? It is a vital expense and the state of Florida just gave people on food stamps their monthly allotment upfront to replace all food that will become ruined because of Irma.
The problem is you can't buy McDonald's or a rotissiere chicken at Publix with food stamps so lower income people have to use cash to eat out unless they can find somewhere to cook or heat up canned foods.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 AM

18,280 posts, read 24,651,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
If you want me to just take a wild guess I'd say about 10% of the population in FL didnt have the means. And maybe another 20% did have the means but it was a stretch.
I would venture those numbers are extremely low if one considers the rent inequity to salary levels in cities like Miami, Orlando, Tampa, St Petersburg, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. People struggling to pay housing costs in the 50% of income level aren't going to have disposable income to uproot and leave town indefinitely, minus the income to replace it.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:16 AM

4,763 posts, read 5,276,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would venture those numbers are extremely low if one considers the rent inequity to salary levels in cities like Miami, Orlando, Tampa, St Petersburg, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. People struggling to pay housing costs in the 50% of income level aren't going to have disposable income to uproot and leave town indefinitely, minus the income to replace it.
That's true. I was thinking about it in a different vein. I was thinking in the context of if you are trying to save your life can you do it?? And imo some just couldn't, period. And some could but just barely. This isnt speaking towards can they return to some semblance of normalcy, can they afford to live next month, etc. It was just can you survive for the next week.

Yeah when you take into totality the entire effect, then Bobdreamz' link answers that question.

Very unfortunate.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:09 PM

85 posts, read 18,679 times
Too many. Key West alone has a lot of homeless people living there. Most don't have a DL let alone a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida