Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree, but have also found salaries for many fields to be much higher in S. FL.

They pay incredibly low wages even for professionals further north. They will claim you are 'getting paid with sunshine and water'. Right.
Not from what I've seen in healthcare.... nurses, doctors etc. seem to make about the same, maybe a little less, but not enough to counteract how much cheaper everything is outside of SFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Not in Miami. Only the Fed can do that. In order for a hurricane to crash the real estate bubble it has to cause enough damage to crash the insurance industry.
I think this was one of the big issues during the 04-05 hurricanes. Insurance companies were folding left and right and leaving Florida. Those that remained were charging 5-10x more. Nothing like paying 1500 a year for insurance and then getting your renewal for 7000 if not more if you lived beachside. Heck, that was even if your insurance company renewed you. A good chunk of the central Florida population had to go with the state run insurance program because it was the only place for people to get insurance.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think this was one of the big issues during the 04-05 hurricanes. Insurance companies were folding left and right and leaving Florida. Those that remained were charging 5-10x more. Nothing like paying 1500 a year for insurance and then getting your renewal for 7000 if not more if you lived beachside. Heck, that was even if your insurance company renewed you. A good chunk of the central Florida population had to go with the state run insurance program because it was the only place for people to get insurance.
It's not just FL doing this, post-Sandy had a lot of insurance companies decline renewals if anyone was within 100-200 feet of the water, even if you were not at risk (i.e. elevated and not in a flood zone).

Old 09-18-2017, 06:00 PM

490 posts, read 583,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Hmm, Seattle is next to one of the largest volcanoes in the world and San Fran is on top of the San Andreas fault(earthquake central). People move there due to jobs but lately also due to legalization of pot(Seattle has a huge issue with homeless camping throughout DT and SF has a reputation of homeless defecating everywhere in the city). Definitely "move to" locations.. same goes for Portland and Austin(lately).
It is my understanding that you are not required to carry earthquake insurance in California to secure a mortgage. This isn't the case in the southeast costal plain as to wind mitigation coverage.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:42 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
It is my understanding that you are not required to carry earthquake insurance in California to secure a mortgage. This isn't the case in the southeast costal plain as to wind mitigation coverage.
Where did you hear you need flood ins to secure a mortgage? Plenty of places to buy in non evac/flood zones(even close to the beach).

Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
They do. South FL is a different beast. IMO, central FL is the "goldilocks" part of the state... more progressive than the "red" pandhandle" but still relatively affordable compared to south FL
I agree. In a way it's a shame that it's being "discovered" ( I see signs just outside of Mt Dora saying 'save our rural lifestyle' which means people are selling off).

I wonder if I've waited too long to make my escape, even though there are things I like about South Florida.

On some days the bad outweighs the good.

I think this winter season might put me over the edge!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I agree. In a way it's a shame that it's being "discovered" ( I see signs just outside of Mt Dora saying 'save our rural lifestyle' which means people are selling off).

I wonder if I've waited too long to make my escape, even though there are things I like about South Florida.

On some days the bad outweighs the good.

I think this winter season might put me over the edge!
It's never too late! You can do this.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Not from what I've seen in healthcare.... nurses, doctors etc. seem to make about the same, maybe a little less, but not enough to counteract how much cheaper everything is outside of SFL
Legal, private equity and fiance industries pay a lot more in S. FL. than Tampa. Not sure of Orlando. Also--more opportunities in various industries. Aviation and aerospace offers a lot more opportunity in S. FL. as well.

"...Believe it — higher paychecks are finally happening in South Florida — larger increases than even in Seattle, San Francisco and New York.

South Florida’s wages and salaries are up 3.9 percent, the highest of any metropolitan region, according to the latest annual compensation data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The tri-county region of Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties also is outpacing national wage growth, which had a moderate 2.4 percent increase over the year..."

South Florida wages up nearly 4 percent

Old 09-20-2017, 06:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Legal, private equity and fiance industries pay a lot more in S. FL. than Tampa. Not sure of Orlando. Also--more opportunities in various industries. Aviation and aerospace offers a lot more opportunity in S. FL. as well.
I agree. Generally, the S FL region of Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Palm Beach (and surrounding towns) has the highest wages in the state. Of course this is a generality and not true for every single individual. But as a whole, the wages are better in S FL than other parts of FL. Although the cost of living is a tad higher as well. S FL really means Southeast FL. The sw gulf side is a totally different region in many different ways.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:27 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
I hope so. House prices are getting too high. Not affordable for first time buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida