U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 PM

247 posts, read 88,269 times

Advertisements

The Hemmingway house was untouched, all the kitties are accounted for and fine. Big Pine and Llittle Torch keys supposedly hit very hard, along with flooding all over Marathon. Cell service sketchy, internet and power mostly down. Key West was on tje good side and lucked out on this one. Freshwater is a potentially an issue, water supply has low pressure I many areas. .
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:31 PM

2,827 posts, read 2,459,860 times
Default Florida Keys TA forum

Whenever there is something going on in the world, I often go to the Tripadvisor forum of that particular location. I usually find good information from many of the locals and frequent travelers, so hope this is useful.

Here's a general thread going on at the moment...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...s_Florida.html

and... https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...s_Florida.html

There's also a thread asking about animals and someone posted this about the deer.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SuttaCBSM...167465&fref=gc

Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,595,091 times
Sick to my stomach right now. A friend just found out that a tree fell on her house in the Upper Keys. She has been away when the hurricane hit on vacation, and asked a local person to care for her parrot. She has no children, she is elderly and parrots live a long time, the parrot is her child. This person is a first responder so when the hurricane hit, they got called in and I guess in the panic totally forgot the bird. So it was left alone in the house for days with no care, and then the tree hit, and no one can get there to check out the situation now or help. My friend is just beside herself. And now at her age, after working her whole life to have a place, she has no home. I started to offer her to stay indefinitely at my place... and then I stopped mid-sentence, because I realized I don't know if I have a home, and even if I do it is blocked off and I cant get to it, maybe even for weeks. I know a lot of elderly and infirmed people who were evacuated, and there is genuinely no guarantee they can survive all the stress of this. I wish I could do something too help, but I can't. I have to just sit here on the internet, writing like an idiot, because I cant reach anyone or do anything. I have to sleep, but it's hard to fall asleep with all this going on. And drifting homeless and not knowing how long that will be for, or if it's permanent.

It's weird to be fine, to have shelter, to be alive, and yet also if you remember for a moment what is going on, remember how totally not fine you are. Like, what happened in just the last 2 weeks? Last month I hadn't even heard of Irma. Now my life is totally overtaken by it, and the lives of everyone I have spend my life with in the last 4 years. Like yes, I know this is a possibility when you live on the islands. But not being able to help other people is WAY worse than not being able to do much about your own losses. I have volunteered and been an activist my whole life. But for now, I can't do anything. Just sit and watch people I know suffer. And wonder where my other friends are, who so stupidly refused to leave. And I want them to be fine, but if they are I'll be so mad at them I'm not sure I can ever speak to them again, because this was a hell of a stupid stunt to stay in a mandatory evacuation zone in the middle of such an isolated area. Even in the best of circumstances, we are remote. And it is frigging hot there. And in a few days, the mosquitoes will be unbearable.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:29 AM

5,559 posts, read 9,243,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Key West was on the "better" west side of the eye, simple as that.
While being on the upper right quadrant of the storm does make a significant difference, it is not as simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
The best I can gather is that building damage is very hit and miss. Some properties are totaled, some with no damage at all. So far, there is not even a clear pattern. Some were below flood and seem fine, some above and yet wrecked. Bayside and Oceanside, doesn't seem to be clear that it matters, which is odd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just saw Duval St with some water...what? And Ernest's house untouched...what?
This was a huge storm ... I don't get it....the roof of Sloppy Joe's should have been in the ocean!
This shows that each gust of wind, each surge of water, and each structure and each living being that they touch, is unique, all like human and other living personalities - which is what a hurricane also is and why we give them names -, one by one, one at a time, moment to moment. Yes, it was a huge storm, but each each point of it was unique, it touched each individual being and structure differently, which is the stuff that truth is made of.

Quote:
I am wondering what this did to the scorpion population...?
In my neighborhood in mid Dade County, I saw some dead catfish and iguanas, but the ducks seemed to be quite enjoying themselves by around 6PM on Sunday. I wonder where they hid. Perhaps under a canal bridge or in a hole in the grass on a canal bank?

Best wishes for good health and speedy recovery for everyone.

Last edited by bale002; 09-12-2017 at 05:38 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM

15 posts, read 5,735 times
I am not sure who posted the amazement that the Hemingway house was not flooded. He built it on the highest point of Key West. Forethought...

Old 09-12-2017, 03:24 PM

1,103 posts, read 302,253 times
In Irma-Bashed Florida Keys, Recovery Will Be Tested by More Than Getting Power Back
Quote:
CUDJOE KEY, Fla. Weary residents in the Florida Keys, eager to assess their hurricane-ravaged homes, may not see electricity return for at least another week and those are the lucky ones.

About 25 percent of homes in the fragile chain of islands were completely destroyed and another 65 percent sustained major damage, federal officials estimated Tuesday. Roughly 7,000 residents who decided not to evacuate before the Category 4 storm bore down over the weekend must now contend with knocked-out water, sewer and cellphone service, possibly for weeks.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:04 PM

5,934 posts, read 7,422,443 times
Keys in recovery? If you've been watching the news, there's nothing to recover. It is total rebuild.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM

1,103 posts, read 302,253 times
Which will undoubtedly be finished just in time for the next hurricane to obliterate the whole place once again.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 AM

6,991 posts, read 8,581,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Which will undoubtedly be finished just in time for the next hurricane to obliterate the whole place once again.
Can't recall the last time the keys took a hit like this. Prob been decades

Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 AM

8,055 posts, read 5,079,750 times
Quote:
Sick to my stomach right now. A friend just found out that a tree fell on her house in the Upper Keys. She has been away when the hurricane hit on vacation, and asked a local person to care for her parrot. She has no children, she is elderly and parrots live a long time, the parrot is her child. This person is a first responder so when the hurricane hit, they got called in and I guess in the panic totally forgot the bird. So it was left alone in the house for days with no care, and then the tree hit, and no one can get there to check out the situation now or help. My friend is just beside herself. And now at her age, after working her whole life to have a place, she has no home. I started to offer her to stay indefinitely at my place... and then I stopped mid-sentence, because I realized I don't know if I have a home, and even if I do it is blocked off and I cant get to it, maybe even for weeks. I know a lot of elderly and infirmed people who were evacuated, and there is genuinely no guarantee they can survive all the stress of this. I wish I could do something too help, but I can't. I have to just sit here on the internet, writing like an idiot, because I cant reach anyone or do anything. I have to sleep, but it's hard to fall asleep with all this going on. And drifting homeless and not knowing how long that will be for, or if it's permanent.

It's weird to be fine, to have shelter, to be alive, and yet also if you remember for a moment what is going on, remember how totally not fine you are. Like, what happened in just the last 2 weeks? Last month I hadn't even heard of Irma. Now my life is totally overtaken by it, and the lives of everyone I have spend my life with in the last 4 years. Like yes, I know this is a possibility when you live on the islands. But not being able to help other people is WAY worse than not being able to do much about your own losses. I have volunteered and been an activist my whole life. But for now, I can't do anything. Just sit and watch people I know suffer. And wonder where my other friends are, who so stupidly refused to leave. And I want them to be fine, but if they are I'll be so mad at them I'm not sure I can ever speak to them again, because this was a hell of a stupid stunt to stay in a mandatory evacuation zone in the middle of such an isolated area. Even in the best of circumstances, we are remote. And it is frigging hot there. And in a few days, the mosquitoes will be unbearable.
Starfish, it's not much but let me extend my hands and heart to you, and to your friends for your losses and your current situation which at this point has to look nothing short of hopeless to you. I understand all too well that sense of desolation, helplessness and grief you have to be feeling at this point- I recall feeling that way for a long time in the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew, the struggles we all went through to crawl out of the destruction left by the storm and in the rebuilding of our home and community. I can only imagine your friend's heartbreak as she considers the predicament and potential loss of her beloved parrot, comfort her as you can, perhaps that parrot is hanging in there somehow, and someone, aware of your friend's situation, can find a way to get in there to get the bird to safety.

It's much too soon for you to consider this now, but as a major hurricane survivor myself I promise you it WILL get better. You will get through this, yours and your friends'lives will be rebuilt and this horror you're experiencing now ( as well as the anger, frustration and other vicissitudes that are a part of what you will experience in the days to come, I'm sorry to say) will gain the perspectives in your heart and mind as one hell of an experience, yet one in which you learn many things and you become stronger as you move on with your life. I honestly felt (and still feel), that, having faced the wrath of hurricane Andrew and its aftermath, I can face anything that comes my way, and handle it without fear.

For now, if you can, be kind to yourself, indulge yourself in whatever ways are available to you and will comfort you even in a small way. If writing helps, write on! I kept a diary of our experiences after Andrew, and I found that venting in that diary during many a sleepless night helped me immensely, but it also provided a means of documentation that we found handy later on. And when you can( and it may be too soon now, but the day will come), see and take some joy in the little things you will see, ie, heroic or selfless acts by others around you, the help you and your community will get to make things a little better, the stories you hear that may tickle your funny bone, the absolutely amazing way that nature heals herself, the new life all around after the injuries inflicted on her by the hurricane. It does help, I promise you.

And don't forget to keep yourself hydrated in this whole mess! I recall thinking that we were probably somewhat dehydrated
as we tried to make our way through the mess that was left of our home and prepared to leave for our temporary living quarters after Andrew.

Just know, also, that there are a lot of souls pulling for you and who will help you as you rebuild your homes and your lives. And you will be in my thoughts, and prayers as you go through this awful time. Peace and courage to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida