Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 800 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am a YOUNG ( late 20's ) yikes, single black ( African American ) female from the North looking to relocate in Central Florida Metro area. I'd like some references on safe and affordable neighboorhoods I should keep an eye on. Also diverse ! I am aware of racism down south and especially during this Donald Trump error. Yes I said error not era lol. I'd like to live in a multicultural neighborhood ��. Please share with me your experiences and what neighboorhoods I should stay away from and what neighboorhoods would suite me. I don't want a retired neighboorhood with the elderly and I don't want to live in a family neighboorhood because I don't have children. I need some kind of middle ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
define affordable

Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I suggest NYC for you given your assumptions about Florida. Stay north.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:09 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I suggest NYC for you given your assumptions about Florida. Stay north.
I agree ^^^.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:08 PM

490 posts, read 583,965 times
You'll have no problem in any central Florida metro area. All of your fears are nonsense. Not everyone here likes tRump. Best stay out of the retirement farms though (sun city, villages)

Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanoir View Post
Hello

I am a YOUNG ( late 20's ) yikes, single black ( African American ) female from the North looking to relocate in Central Florida Metro area. I'd like some references on safe and affordable neighboorhoods I should keep an eye on. Also diverse ! I am aware of racism down south and especially during this Donald Trump error. Yes I said error not era lol. I'd like to live in a multicultural neighborhood ��. Please share with me your experiences and what neighboorhoods I should stay away from and what neighboorhoods would suite me. I don't want a retired neighboorhood with the elderly and I don't want to live in a family neighboorhood because I don't have children. I need some kind of middle ground
Central Florida isn't as affordable as you might guess, especially versus salaries. As of August 2017
one bedroom apartments in Orlando rent for $1164 a month on average and unless in a high demand job, might expect to be anywhere in the 40%-50% bracket of income-to-rent ratio if planning to live alone. Multicultural neighborhoods aren't really present like they are in larger cities outside the South either and if anything tend toward more segregated.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
For the diversity you are looking for look to the larger metro areas. Tampa-St Pete might be your best bet. Melbourne has a lot of space and govt related jobs and may be more educated and more diverse than other similar sized areas. I live in Ormond-by-the-sea zip 32176. Our zip is boringly white and pretty old. You would be welcome anywhere beachside as long as you are into the beach or ocean activities.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:11 AM

617 posts, read 832,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanoir View Post
Hello

Downtown or Thornton Park is your best bet for "diversity and progressiveness." However they can be pretty expensive. Mills 50 or Milk District might have some more affordable options and these are very trendy and desirable areas still, while also being close to downtown.

Or, as others have mentioned, you're more than welcome to keep your close-minded and ignorant thoughts about "the south" as you call it in whichever current city you reside. I can only imagine how much you would hate to run into one of us country bumpkins here in Orlando that don't share the same exact views as you. I'm not sure where you get this misguided view of Orlando from, but it's not some podunk redneck town with confederate flags everywhere. It's a major metropolitan city with people of all backgrounds and races. You'll be fine.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Central Florida is 50/50 pretty much when it comes to politics, to me this is a good thing as I like moderation. However, if you can't stand 50% of the population will be Republicans, then you should stay where you are... we are more tolerant to others than Liberal strongholds who say you either believe us or you're a racist bigot KKK Nazi member.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
I would suggest the Orlando, Tampa, and St Pete downtown's. They are very liberal and diverse near by. Also I think the downtowns are more geared to single professionals and they are pricey. A studio in Downtown Tampa starts at $1,500 for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida