U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2017, 05:46 PM
 
281 posts, read 650,588 times
Reputation: 229

Advertisements

Quote:
Your price is a bit off...for a 20kw Koehler I was looking at $14K+ including 500 gallon buried propane tank.
The Generac Guardian series are highly reviewed and are all in the $2K-$5k range. You can buy a 22kw guardian with a transfer switch online for $5k. The 9kw and 11kw models that should run everything in the home except AC are in the $2k-$3k range with a transfer switch.

The installation and propane tank/propane can be expensive. It helps if you are handy or know an electrician who can do the work reasonably. The dealers will all quote you outrageous prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Winter Garden, FL
299 posts, read 97,918 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
The Generac Guardian series are highly reviewed and are all in the $2K-$5k range. You can buy a 22kw guardian with a transfer switch online for $5k. The 9kw and 11kw models that should run everything in the home except AC are in the $2k-$3k range with a transfer switch.

The installation and propane tank/propane can be expensive. It helps if you are handy or know an electrician who can do the work reasonably. The dealers will all quote you outrageous prices.
Looks like the Generac and Kohler are similar in pricing ($4500), so would assume the remainder that was quoted was for installation, transfer switches, fuel tank & burial).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 09:05 AM
 
2,706 posts, read 1,540,700 times
Reputation: 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Looks like the Generac and Kohler are similar in pricing ($4500), so would assume the remainder that was quoted was for installation, transfer switches, fuel tank & burial).
Correct. And also permitting, and the first propane fill. The generator itself is only a portion of the cost. If someone has a natural gas line to the home it would be a lot cheaper, but I have to wonder if and how long the gas flows following a major hurricane that will take out a lot of infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 09:18 AM
 
7,061 posts, read 8,702,187 times
Reputation: 3439
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Correct. And also permitting, and the first propane fill. The generator itself is only a portion of the cost. If someone has a natural gas line to the home it would be a lot cheaper, but I have to wonder if and how long the gas flows following a major hurricane that will take out a lot of infrastructure.
gas was fine for most of us, even though my power was out, somehow still got warm-ish showers. I've heard that's an excellent way to do in home generator if you can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 02:10 PM
 
281 posts, read 650,588 times
Reputation: 229
From my research, the biggest question was do you want to run central AC or not? It's the difference between needing a 9kw generator with a 250 gallon propane tank or a 22kw generator with a 500 gallon propane tank.

Not only is the 22kw model twice as expensive, it also uses 3x as much propane as the 9kw model. The 9kw model uses 1 gallon of propane an hour vs. 3 or 4 gallons per hour for the 22kw model.

9kw will run fridge, satellite, tv, lights, well pump, ceiling fans, microwave, all the emergency essentials. You can probably get that installed with a 250 gallon tank for $5k total if you shop around electricians/propane dealers. Burying the tank adds 3x the cost too and adds additional maintenance to make sure it does not leak and corrode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Winter Garden, FL
299 posts, read 97,918 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
From my research, the biggest question was do you want to run central AC or not? It's the difference between needing a 9kw generator with a 250 gallon propane tank or a 22kw generator with a 500 gallon propane tank.

Not only is the 22kw model twice as expensive, it also uses 3x as much propane as the 9kw model. The 9kw model uses 1 gallon of propane an hour vs. 3 or 4 gallons per hour for the 22kw model.

9kw will run fridge, satellite, tv, lights, well pump, ceiling fans, microwave, all the emergency essentials. You can probably get that installed with a 250 gallon tank for $5k total if you shop around electricians/propane dealers. Burying the tank adds 3x the cost too and adds additional maintenance to make sure it does not leak and corrode.
If you're going to buy a whole home generator, then you should have it sized appropriately (Wattage and Amps) as the amount of load you put on a unit is a big contributor to how much fuel you use.

I.E. just the items you listed would place a 50% load on that 9KW generator, so while the A/C is a big contributor, its not the only thing. The things I can think of offhand are electric water heaters, electric dryers, electric stoves, well pumps, pool/spa pumps, refrigerators, freezers, power tools and etc.

Personally, I'd rather spend the difference of ~$2K on a higher power generator (Install costs would likely be the same), and the extra ~$20 a day in fuel during an emergency for a system that gives me 2-3x the power in order to maintain all the comforts of home rather than trying to skimp by not running A/C, Hot Water Heaters or etc...but to each their own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 05:58 PM
 
7,061 posts, read 8,702,187 times
Reputation: 3439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
If you're going to buy a whole home generator, then you should have it sized appropriately (Wattage and Amps) as the amount of load you put on a unit is a big contributor to how much fuel you use.

I.E. just the items you listed would place a 50% load on that 9KW generator, so while the A/C is a big contributor, its not the only thing. The things I can think of offhand are electric water heaters, electric dryers, electric stoves, well pumps, pool/spa pumps, refrigerators, freezers, power tools and etc.

Personally, I'd rather spend the difference of ~$2K on a higher power generator (Install costs would likely be the same), and the extra ~$20 a day in fuel during an emergency for a system that gives me 2-3x the power in order to maintain all the comforts of home rather than trying to skimp by not running A/C, Hot Water Heaters or etc...but to each their own
I'm really hoping for one these in the future....

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/29/...s-puerto-rico/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Winter Garden, FL
299 posts, read 97,918 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I'm really hoping for one these in the future....

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/29/...s-puerto-rico/
Why wait for the future when you can get them today? Only issue is they will only last a day (If sized appropriately), otherwise you need to find a way to recharge them via Solar (May be damaged by a storm) or generator.

I'd really like to see production ramp up on their solar tiles (videos show high resistance to damage) as I was told there was a 3-5 year wait list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 07:00 PM
 
2,706 posts, read 1,540,700 times
Reputation: 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
From my research, the biggest question was do you want to run central AC or not? It's the difference between needing a 9kw generator with a 250 gallon propane tank or a 22kw generator with a 500 gallon propane tank.

Not only is the 22kw model twice as expensive, it also uses 3x as much propane as the 9kw model. The 9kw model uses 1 gallon of propane an hour vs. 3 or 4 gallons per hour for the 22kw model.

9kw will run fridge, satellite, tv, lights, well pump, ceiling fans, microwave, all the emergency essentials. You can probably get that installed with a 250 gallon tank for $5k total if you shop around electricians/propane dealers. Burying the tank adds 3x the cost too and adds additional maintenance to make sure it does not leak and corrode.
Depends on the AC as well. I ran my 3 ton and 4 ton at the same time, 2 fridges, plus most other circuits, on a 11,800 portable. Oh, and once the AC cooled the house down, the pool pump as well. Shutting off a couple of items allowed me to run the hot water heater.

The one advantage of a portable with a panel interlock kit is that I get to choose what to run. If you get a whole house setup with an automatic transfer switch, code states it must be rated to run the ENTIRE house, or enough load shed modules installed to ensure you don’t overload the generator, or that the AC units and hot water heater isn’t wired in.

If you live in a HOA good luck getting approval for an above ground tank above 100 gallons.

Lastly, most generators show consumption at 100% or 50% load. For an air cooled generator you also don’t want to exceed 80% of rated capacity. So a 20kw running at 50% vs a 10kw running at 100% will probably burn a fairly similar amount of fuel, and the 10kw will be stressed. In Florida I would never consider a small whole house unit because even if you didn’t run the AC units you’d probably run a window unit or two, even just to cut the humidity down.

BTW, this isn’t a dig against whole house generators. Just that if you’re going through the trouble size it correctly. And maintain it correctly otherwise it’s wasted $$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 07:17 PM
 
7,061 posts, read 8,702,187 times
Reputation: 3439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Why wait for the future when you can get them today? Only issue is they will only last a day (If sized appropriately), otherwise you need to find a way to recharge them via Solar (May be damaged by a storm) or generator.

I'd really like to see production ramp up on their solar tiles (videos show high resistance to damage) as I was told there was a 3-5 year wait list
Cost prohibitive, but yes, if paired with solar, it's a great solution. Supposedly the solar roof will be ok for hurricane and hail. There are some cool videos online about the projectile tests against the tiles already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top