U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 PM

269 posts, read 80,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The one advantage of a portable with a panel interlock kit is that I get to choose what to run. If you get a whole house setup with an automatic transfer switch, code states it must be rated to run the ENTIRE house, or enough load shed modules installed to ensure you donít overload the generator, or that the AC units and hot water heater isnít wired in.

BTW, this isnít a dig against whole house generators. Just that if youíre going through the trouble size it correctly. And maintain it correctly otherwise itís wasted $$.
Wasn't aware of that requirement, but makes sense as not everyone knows to manage the watts/amps they are pulling (Or if they are, a potential buyer may not if the house is resold), and definitely agree, if you're going to spend the money you might as well do it right

Out of curiosity, how many amps and what type of plug does your generator use for that interconnect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 1,422,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Wasn't aware of that requirement, but makes sense as not everyone knows to manage the watts/amps they are pulling (Or if they are, a potential buyer may not if the house is resold), and definitely agree, if you're going to spend the money you might as well do it right

Out of curiosity, how many amps and what type of plug does your generator use for that interconnect?
50A plug (and 50A breaker on generator), but at 11,800w continuous itís limited realistically to 49a at 240v.

NEMA 14-50r socket.

If buying a whole house generator and the owner plans to stay in the home for years, itís an investment that provides comfort. But the return on resale isnít that great, and any prospective buyer will want to ensure itís functioning properly. In my case I have a socket and meters wired to the panel, and the generator would come with me, or be sold with the home as an add-on with no guarantee. 75% of my outlay is portable.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

269 posts, read 80,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
50A plug (and 50A breaker on generator), but at 11,800w continuous itís limited realistically to 49a at 240v.

NEMA 14-50r socket.

If buying a whole house generator and the owner plans to stay in the home for years, itís an investment that provides comfort. But the return on resale isnít that great, and any prospective buyer will want to ensure itís functioning properly. In my case I have a socket and meters wired to the panel, and the generator would come with me, or be sold with the home as an add-on with no guarantee. 75% of my outlay is portable.
Thanks! Might be time for me to look into an upgrade for my 30A/8500 Watt

Old Today, 08:19 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,422,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Thanks! Might be time for me to look into an upgrade for my 30A/8500 Watt
Before you do, and if youíre looking to power a central AC, make sure you look at the LRA or starting amps rating on the condenser. Most AC units need a ton of surge capacity to start, or a hard start kit installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida