U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2006, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 37,674 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the pacific northwest. we are looking for a warm change. we have visited several cities in florida. we were just wondering if any one knows the most gay friendly afordable city to relocate to. My partner is a hospital administrator and i am a real estate broker. We have a 14 year old son who most likely will relocate with us. Also the southern califoria is an option. please help with any information. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 AM

8,506 posts, read 16,502,710 times
Check out Broward county. There's a lot of gays there and plenty of real estate to sell. I am sure you guys have plenty of money to live there and will find similar work.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 AM

2,750 posts, read 5,793,400 times
Gay friendly cities abound, but affordable??? Not anymore. Key West is a possibility if you have literally at least one million to buy a dump...that is as low as the prices start in Key West.

Miami Beach is an obvious choice too...but also pricey. The only sort of affordablity would be in a run down part of the city near the 79th St. Causway coming in from Miami...maybe you could find a one bedroom near 900but I warn you it is not a gay vibe rather a ghetto vibe. I think Naples too might have a lot of gay areas...but once again is very expensive. Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach as well...but also prohibitively expensive. OH! I just remembered, Wilton Manors...I think it is now pricey but it is a gay suburb of Ft Lauderdale. Your best bet it to look to another state if you want affordability...or to settle for a less desireable community that is adjacent to a gay friendly city...depending on how much you can spend. If you post what you expect to make and spend and what kind of housing you are considering, I could give you more pointed advice.

PS If you jsut want a gay area in a warm climate that is affordable check out Austin Tx...much cheaper than Socal and South Florida.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 AM

2,313 posts, read 340,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida tom View Post
We currently live in the pacific northwest. we are looking for a warm change. we have visited several cities in florida. we were just wondering if any one knows the most gay friendly afordable city to relocate to. My partner is a hospital administrator and i am a real estate broker. We have a 14 year old son who most likely will relocate with us. Also the southern califoria is an option. please help with any information. Thank you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilton_Manors,_Florida
Wilton Manors, You will even find stores there like "Gay Mart" And a complete gay shopping center.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:53 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times
I think you'll have to look at the subburbs of some of the bigger cities down South... like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, even West Palm Beach. Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlado further North should also be good. (Orlando has famous "gay days" event in May I think).

As for "affordable".... what does "affordable" mean to you?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 51,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida tom View Post
Key west!! You pretty much don't even see a straight couple in bars downtown on the weekends!!

CA is another option. If you can afford, San Francisco is the gay hub of America.

I am not gay, in fact, I don't like to frequent gay hus, so that is how I know these are there.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:13 PM

11 posts, read 62,043 times
Default austin is the place

Key West is not overrun by gays, but there is a sizable gay population. KW is pretty much live and let live. I think KW gays have a sort of freedom that you don't always find in other cities other than San Francisco. I do agree that it is not affordable unless you are wealthy or are a professional. Wilton Manors and downtown Ft. Lauderdale have a sizable gay pop, but are also pricey. South Beach is overrun, overdone and crazy. Visit it, have fun and get out.

I'd go with the other poster's suggestion of Austin. Much more affordable; more of a community; tolerant and educated people; etc. And it actually has seasons without being too cold or too humid. g---

Old 12-14-2006, 07:46 PM

488 posts, read 1,455,250 times
Default Swfl

I understand that there is a gay real estate network here and possibly started in Sarasota. If I am incorrect on that, I do know for sure that Sarasota is gay friendly. If you search The News Press newspaper here for that network or articles, I am sure you will find it.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 PM

8,506 posts, read 16,502,710 times
I asked a few gay buddies and it seems like the low priced Wilton Manors of the early 90's ***MOD CUT*** In the 70's it was Coconut Grove, the 80's south beach and the 90's Wilton Manors and morningside. Today it's all gentrified and unaffordable. As far as I care key West could sink into the ocean. As a kid I remember going over the old 7 mile bridge and vising friends who lived in an old (and very cheap) wooden home where termites flew freely. It's incredible how affordible Florida was, and that when it was a lot better than now!

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-05-2011 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 02-03-2007, 09:26 AM

54 posts, read 127,954 times
Default Key Largo?

Tallrick, where would be a good place to look in Key Largo for a small house? The wife and I have considered moving there from our current, on the water home, here in Wilton Manors. We know that buying on the water again would be cost prohibitive, mostly due to taxes. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida