U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2017, 04:24 AM
 
11,103 posts, read 7,926,288 times
Reputation: 3683

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
ALL insurance companies weigh credit heavily. Insurance companies look at a person with bad credit as one who might commit insurance fraud. They also see someone with bad credit as not responsible and therefore a risk.
As long as the driving record is good and they pay on time is should not matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2017, 10:33 AM
 
15,869 posts, read 9,028,530 times
Reputation: 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
As long as the driving record is good and they pay on time is should not matter.
Bad credit raises the question of paying on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
2,970 posts, read 4,384,110 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
ALL insurance companies weigh credit heavily. Insurance companies look at a person with bad credit as one who might commit insurance fraud. They also see someone with bad credit as not responsible and therefore a risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Bad credit raises the question of paying on time.
Both responses are spot-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,656 posts, read 11,803,427 times
Reputation: 7782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
I live in Pasco County Florida, on the Gulf Coast. In the past year I saw my Auto Insurance premiums rise considerably. From $610 to $716 for a six month policy. So I decided to look for cheaper insurance. I have been dumbfouded by the quotes I am getting. Anywhere from $4000 which was the cheapest with Direct Insurance to almost Eight Thousand with Farmers. This is getting ridiculous.

I am a 69 year old man. Have not had an accident in over twenty years. ( Only one when I was in my late twenties ) I cannot understand why I am getting such high quotes. I am driving a 2015 Toyota Tacoma, which is partly financed. I don't know if that could be the reason. When I asked these companies why it was so expensive, they simply said. " Florida is a high risk state."

I'm curious, has anyone else had their insurance premiums suddenly skyrocket? [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
I got a quote from Liberty Mutual in Aug. I nearly fell on the floor. $346 a Month for a 2016 Versa full coverage but just above. State minimum coveage. I told them forget it as I pay $123 a month with Farm Bureau for more coverage. I'm 67. We may be paying higher rates I don't know.

Also check with your ins company and see if your new car discount has expired. On a 2015 model it may have. That discount is substantial.

Between the high car ins rates in Fla, that keep skyrocketing, and those not being able to get homeowners insurance. These and a few other serious reasons. I'm finding this state is impractical, for a certain segment of retirees to live at this stage of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2017, 10:51 AM
 
62 posts, read 33,584 times
Reputation: 203
No Fault Insurance with Personal Injury Protection required, pushed by hospitals to help cover the injuries of those without health insurance who were injured in auto accidents. Paying almost 200 a month on a 10 year old toyota, good credit and good driving history. Paid half that on the same vehicle in AZ and NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2017, 03:22 PM
 
2,093 posts, read 1,115,650 times
Reputation: 4240
Folks running around with minimum coverage or just over minimums listen up.

If, this is a big if, your credit is 730+ and you aren't using 100/300 on liability you're screwing yourself. One factor in rating is previous coverage amounts. If under 100/300 you don't qualify for the best rates. Under 50/100 they start surcharging you heavily.

So if you have the credit and clean record keep 100/300 as you're paying more for less coverage by not qualifying for the best rate tiers.

If your credit is average or poor, under 720, then work on that first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 06:40 PM
 
1,358 posts, read 685,587 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I got a quote from Liberty Mutual in Aug. I nearly fell on the floor. $346 a Month for a 2016 Versa full coverage but just above. State minimum coveage. I told them forget it as I pay $123 a month with Farm Bureau for more coverage. I'm 67. We may be paying higher rates I don't know.

Also check with your ins company and see if your new car discount has expired. On a 2015 model it may have. That discount is substantial.

Between the high car ins rates in Fla, that keep skyrocketing, and those not being able to get homeowners insurance. These and a few other serious reasons. I'm finding this state is impractical, for a certain segment of retirees to live at this stage of life.
My parents switched from Liberty Mutual to USAA. It seems every year it goes up since we lived in St. Louis. They jacked it up big time for next year so we switched and saving almost $600 for same coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 PM
 
380 posts, read 295,710 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Bad credit raises the question of paying on time.
Where is this a issue? You pay up front for a period of time. Be it by the month or semi annually. You never get any type of insurance without advance payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 08:44 AM
 
10,155 posts, read 10,442,252 times
Reputation: 3009
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
My premium went up about 14% this past year. They gave me the same nonsense that they give everyone else: "it's a shared cost that we have to compensate for." Or something along those lines. No wonder FL is such a highly uninsured state. People have to practically take out a second mortgage just to afford to insure their car. It's insane, but yes, we do have a lot of negative factors that contribute to it as others have stated. It's a terrible state to drive in, one of the worst in the country.
Like California, one of the requirements to register your vehicle is proof of insurance. So if they're driving without insurance they're also driving without a registration tag and setting themselves up for being pulled over by the police and going to jail, aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 AM
 
4,543 posts, read 2,518,124 times
Reputation: 4007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Like California, one of the requirements to register your vehicle is proof of insurance. So if they're driving without insurance they're also driving without a registration tag and setting themselves up for being pulled over by the police and going to jail, aren't they?
Yes, but you can sign up for a policy, get proof of insurance, get the registration, and not pay the bill afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top