U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:28 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,738,877 times
Default best/worst things about Florida

I'm posting this because this type thread is constantly being discussed over on the Albuquerque board. People love many things about New Mexico but there are just as many gripes. Personally I would love to move to Florida but so much of what I'm reading on this board is scary. So what are the best and worst things about Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 05:28 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,116,322 times
Best things-no potholes on the roads, nice weather in January and February.

Worst things-illegals, traffic, crowds, crime, economy, cost of living, cost of insurance and property taxes.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 PM

491 posts, read 1,279,270 times
From one of my older posts:

Pros Florida:
Nice weather from October-May
Lots to do (beaches, Disney, Universal, Sea World, boating, scuba, snorkeling, etc..)
Many restaurants to choose from (and yes some very good ones)
Many events going on year round
Many cruise ports close by
Good airports-clean!
Beautiful skys
Beautiful beaches
Many birds
Wildlife
Great/many golf courses
Flat for biking
No state tax (remember NH has no state tax AND no sales tax)
Homestead exemptition
Good seafood
Cleaner than up north but getting worse every day
Hour more of sunlight

Cons Florida:
Awful pay!
Right to work state
High insurance
High property taxes and sales tax
Expensive electric (bad in the summer)
Expensive groceries
Awful produce, meat and fruit (yes I was shocked too-they must ship it all to other places)
Hurricanes
Weather from June-October
Many bugs
Humidity all the time
Poorly, quickly built homes (many issues with mold, roofs, etc..)
Strip mall sqwall
Drivers are God awful and scary
Red Tide-we are ruining the beaches- one of the staes strong points
Awful schools
Crime getting bad
Many pedefiles in the theme park area
Drug/gang problems
Bad public transportation
Some have lazy outlooks/attitudes towards work, etc..
Still a lot of racial prejudice in the south

Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 PM

6,390 posts, read 12,578,815 times
#1 WORST THING OUR WEATHER I can't stand it anymore. 90 degrees in March the last two days. It has been a warm winter, we didn't get a break from the heat for the most part this winter. I wish I could get outside and exercise but its just been to warm this winter. I used to say we had nice weather from Mid Nov - Mid May, but the last few years I can't say it, winters have been too warm. Its like the cold fronts make it to North Florida and then fissle out leaving us still warm or hot and humid in winter. Uhgggggggggggg

Old 03-16-2008, 07:21 PM

10,593 posts, read 21,902,161 times
Why would you live in Florida if you don't like warm weather?

I have been loving the weather, my daughter went swimming today and got a nice tan while she was out.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 12,578,815 times
I was born and raised here, didn't pick Florida. It was not this way 10 years ago even. I have been researching places to move to, to get away from the heat. But haven't found that place yet. As a kid I went out in the sun and tanned, but in college I learned a lot more about your skin and the sun and skin cancer. Since then I avoid the sun like the plague. But I know I have already done the damage to my skin, that will affect me when I am older. As you do most of the damage to your skin as a kid, they say.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I was born and raised here, didn't pick Florida. It was not this way 10 years ago even. I have been researching places to move to, to get away from the heat. But haven't found that place yet. As a kid I went out in the sun and tanned, but in college I learned a lot more about your skin and the sun and skin cancer. Since then I avoid the sun like the plague. But I know I have already done the damage to my skin, that will affect me when I am older. As you do most of the damage to your skin as a kid, they say.
Where in Florida do you live? It didn't get that hot here, it got up to like 82 and I live between Daytona and Orlando.
Yea, if your trying to avoid the sun, I can't imagine Florida is the place for you.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:44 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,116,322 times
90 here today. This kind of heat sucks. We didn't get a break all winter, and now the heat is upon us.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM

8,344 posts, read 15,886,902 times
Best thing, tropical plants. Worst thing- Team Metro

Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
90 here today. This kind of heat sucks. We didn't get a break all winter, and now the heat is upon us.
Where is here?
Maybe it got hotter here then I realized. I just looked at what the weather channel said it was going to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida