Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:35 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Hawaii unsurprisingly has the highest per capita homeless rate in the country

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....g-ban.amp.html
Not surprisingly at all. There is no winter. Homeless can camp on beach to share million dollar view with tourists who paid $500/night for ocean view hotel rooms. Some people from the other 49 states buy one way air ticket to Hawaii to become homeless. Rumored that their one way tickets are bought by their States.

http://www.hawaiiaffairsmagazine.com...land-homeless/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 05:24 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Not surprisingly at all. There is no winter. Homeless can camp on beach to share million dollar view with tourists who paid $500/night for ocean view hotel rooms. Some people from the other 49 states buy one way air ticket to Hawaii to become homeless. Rumored that their one way tickets are bought by their States.

Is Hawaii the dumping ground for mainland homeless? | Hawaii Affairs Magazine
We also have a huge homeless problem right here in Sarasota where I live. People love these warm paradise type places. It is disgusting, annoying and irritating, because many of these people could work but they don't want to, they just want to be lazy bums living off handouts.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:28 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Smolensk Russia. It's a beautiful old city and they have seasons there. I'd just buy a condo up the main street from the big Church. I'd give cheap english lessons to kids to pay the bills.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We also have a huge homeless problem right here in Sarasota where I live. People love these warm paradise type places. It is disgusting, annoying and irritating, because many of these people could work but they don't want to, they just want to be lazy bums living off handouts.
I bet fl ca ny have to be up there for a high homeless population after Hawaii

Old 10-06-2017, 06:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Smolensk Russia. It's a beautiful old city and they have seasons there. I'd just buy a condo up the main street from the big Church. I'd give cheap english lessons to kids to pay the bills.
I fell in love with a town outside of Prague (and Prague too). Kind of neat having a castle or some other grand old building on every corner instead of a bank, strip mall etc.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando is Alive View Post
If you had to stay put in Florida? Where would you go?
I'd buy as many contiguous acres as possible , build a house there and leave the rest for preservation.

Or , just buy whatever land I could and keep it for parks, natural areas, etc.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:51 PM

35 posts, read 32,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I'd buy as many contiguous acres as possible, build a house there and leave the rest for preservation.
Where? What part of Florida?

Old 10-07-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Where? What part of Florida?
Probably somewhere in what is called the wildlife corridor.

See Carlton Ward's photos!

Plenty of big oaks and pines; a dose of scrub for the jays etc.

And lots of "worthless swamp" and gorgeous cypress.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 PM

35 posts, read 32,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Probably somewhere in what is called the wildlife corridor.

See Carlton Ward's photos!

Plenty of big oaks and pines; a dose of scrub for the jays etc.

And lots of "worthless swamp" and gorgeous cypress.
Super dumb move. Buy swampland alright yea sure lol.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Super dumb move. Buy swampland alright yea sure lol.
To preserve it- that's not dumb!

Swamps are gorgeous. And draining our wetlands and screwing with our environment are part of why we have so many environmental/water supply issues in Florida, especially South Florida.

Heck they have created wetlands down here in an effort to right some of the wrongs that Everglades and swamp drainage has done.

Where are you from? Have you ever studied any of the history of Florida? Are you aware that millions of dollars are being spent to restore the Everglades watershed?

Speaking of swamps, a good place to start is a book called "The Swamp."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida