Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 PM

35 posts, read 31,999 times

Advertisements

I was really sad when I heard. He was only 66 but he smoked 3 packs a day and his diet was not good.

His truly lived the Rock Star life.

Rest in peace Tommy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 03:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Had the chance to see him once in concert here in Tampa a yr or two ago. He had a great career. I'm sure his lifestyle contributed to his death. Worked hard, probably played hard. His music will always be with us.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:00 AM

176 posts, read 216,973 times
Check out the documentary "Chasing down the dream" on Netflix. If anything, I think he was underated. Very productive over a long period of time. You will be surprised at how many of his songs you know.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:02 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
It hits hard, especially up here in Gainesville, where he was born & began to develop his country inflected rock sound. There’s an MTV video on YouTube from 1985 where he comes back to Gainesville & drives the crew around. They go looking for gators, visit the Devils Millhopper, drive down frat row at UF where he played gigs and got in fights (says that future Eagles Don Felder helped him out of one fight).

The local radio personalities have been paying tribute—one said that his UF Homecoming concert was the best ever. The county sheriff up here is his cousin; still has lots of relatives up here.

To borrow one of Tom’s sayings from his documentary: Tom, you never bored us, but always got to the chorus. Thanks for the great music.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:58 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Saw my first Tom Petty concert at the Lakeland Civic Center around 1976 or so. I brought my girlfriend, soon to be wife of 34 yrs. We both grew up big Petty fans, we will both miss you Tom!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:17 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4kmZpXGqlw

Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
When someone says "Nothing good comes out of Florida", just tell them this: Wrong! There was Tom Petty.

RIP and thanks for the tunes.

I've been watching some of the videos of him performing with Stevie Nicks. Wow. Two American classics.

Last edited by kmarc; 10-05-2017 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Tom Petty was excellent. I am without words to say how much I and many others are missing him.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, notably Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Stan Lynch, and Steve Ferrone, have frequently collaborated with the Eagles (Don Felder, Don Henley) and Fleetwood Mac (Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks).

Florida has great musicians. Joining Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, and Don Felder are Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield; Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young) and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:57 PM

35 posts, read 31,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
When someone says "Nothing good comes out of Florida", just tell them this: Wrong! There was Tom Petty.
There has been many famous and successful people born/raised or currently living in Central Florida. Obviously you have no clue who they are. Tom Petty was just one of many. Central to North Central Florida has produced a lot of great talent from exercise equipment to sun tan lotion to skateboarding to energy drinks.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:10 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando is Alive View Post
There has been many famous and successful people born/raised or currently living in Central Florida. Obviously you have no clue who they are. Tom Petty was just one of many. Central to North Central Florida has produced a lot of great talent from exercise equipment to sun tan lotion to skateboarding to energy drinks.
First of all, we're talking about Tom Petty here, and I was just making an emotional statement. I am well aware of Nautilus and Banana Boat. Skateboarding and energy drinks are not on my radar.

However, I think you bring up a good point that would be great for another thread: Floridians of achievement. Perhaps you'd like to start it. It would make for interesting reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida