U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,474,269 times

Advertisements

I've lived on both coasts. While I like the Sanibel/Captiva area, I prefer the Atlantic Coast, especially for beaches and swimming. And for the breeze. Plus I find the Gulf icky during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 PM

15,755 posts, read 6,029,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I've lived on both coasts. While I like the Sanibel/Captiva area, I prefer the Atlantic Coast, especially for beaches and swimming. And for the breeze. Plus I find the Gulf icky during the summer.
The gulf is beautiful, clear green water and sand like powder. Great for boating.

Atlantic coast is more turquoise, bigger waves and the sand is not as powdery. The gulf air is definitely more stagnant in the summer. Get a better breeze on the east coast.

I just like the water and beach--cannot live inland. Lakes and rivers don't make it.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The gulf is beautiful, clear green water and sand like powder. Great for boating.

Atlantic coast is more turquoise, bigger waves and the sand is not as powdery. The gulf air is definitely more stagnant in the summer. Get a better breeze on the east coast.

I just like the water and beach--cannot live inland. Lakes and rivers don't make it.
I'm not a fan of Florida lakes, but we do have some awesome rivers and springs. But that's for another thread.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:53 PM

8,200 posts, read 6,184,256 times
Quote:
East coast is much better and cooler and gets more rain.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 PM

12,753 posts, read 6,529,897 times
Quote:
We decided to move to FL next year and did not know which coast we would like.

After visiting many times over the last few years, at all seasons, we settled on the East Coast as it is better overall for what we want.

I love waves, cool breezes off the water is better than those off the Gulf. Warm water but not as warm as the Gulf, not as humid due to the breezes (Heard it said on the Gulf and Southern FL you go in the water to dry off in the Summer), less traffic, we picked an area with minimal snowbirds and a very laid back vibe. Better housing prices and ........... after the hurricanes, the only real damage was tree limbs and palm fronds. Volusia County but NOT Daytona.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
We decided to move to FL next year and did not know which coast we would like.

After visiting many times over the last few years, at all seasons, we settled on the East Coast as it is better overall for what we want.

I love waves, cool breezes off the water is better than those off the Gulf. Warm water but not as warm as the Gulf, not as humid due to the breezes (Heard it said on the Gulf and Southern FL you go in the water to dry off in the Summer), less traffic, we picked an area with minimal snowbirds and a very laid back vibe. Better housing prices and ........... after the hurricanes, the only real damage was tree limbs and palm fronds. Volusia County but NOT Daytona.
Ya done good! Lemme guess. Ormond?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 PM

3,120 posts, read 1,194,705 times
East coast is overdeveloped.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

18,308 posts, read 24,725,126 times
In my opinion the west coast is more scenic. Nicer water (and cleaner) with much prettier beaches and less developed. The Atlantic side is actually kind of horrifying right now after the storms we've been having with brown, murky water and all kinds of unpleasant debris strewn all over the beaches.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
East coast is overdeveloped.
Almost every inch of the Gulf Coast that can be developed, is or is being developed, believe me. Much of the coastal area from the Pasco/Hernando county line north and west through Apalachicola is scrub marsh that doesn't lend itself to development.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In my opinion the west coast is more scenic. Nicer water (and cleaner) with much prettier beaches and less developed. The Atlantic side is actually kind of horrifying right now after the storms we've been having with brown, murky water and all kinds of unpleasant debris strewn all over the beaches.
I'll give you that much of the Gulf Coast is scenic, especially those areas that aren't able to be developed. And of course the Sanibel/Captiva area, which does have pretty beaches. I disagree on the water, though. Gulf coast water is a mixed brew that looks nice on calm days. The last time I swam in the Gulf was over 15 years ago, and there was a storm further out in the Gulf that churned up a lot of "stuff", plant life and other things. I went swimming in it, and the combination of bathtub temperatures with "stuff" all around me, including strands of seaweed or sea grass, made me run for the hotel pool. Also I don't think the Atlantic coast gets red tide.

Whether it's the Atlantic or the Gulf, storms churn up some unpleasant things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida