Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,116,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
You 2 need to get a room!
LOL! Nahhhh, a spot on my ignore list works much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:31 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,918,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL! Nahhhh, a spot on my ignore list works much better.
He or she plays tough to get but i know he or she loves me

Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Where have you been?
Still hanging around

Old 10-20-2017, 12:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,377,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Still hanging around
Good

Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,955,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu View Post
My wife and I moved here over a decade ago. We have great careers, beautiful children, great school, nice house a few blocks from the beach, etc. Irma broke something about Florida for us. We were without power for a week and it was hell. I've started looking for jobs in the north east and we're prepping our house to sell. There's something about September in the north. I just can't be unbearably hot anymore. Our neighborhood still smells of rotten debris.

I realize this may read like a complaint post. It's not. We've been all over Florida from the Keys to High Springs... we still love it and the plan is to come back for a week or two in the spring moving forward.

I guess the battle with the heat wore me out as a full-time resident.

We moved out of Fla weeks before Irma. Don't miss it one bit. I've had my windows open for weeks. Very chilly at night. Was in the 30's the other morning. All our bills went down and our quality of life went up by leaps and bounds. We are out every weekend doing something and every evening the kids play outside here and no old folks complain about it.

We had had enough of the relentless heat also. The summer never ends and the misery of the humidity is enough to make one crazy. Anyone who says "its not that bad" is an absolute liar. It should not be 90's at the end of Oct, or Nov, or Dec. Yet every year it is. A "cold front" should not consist of the temp dropping into the 80's. Yet it does. Complete and utter misery that state is.

Most of my friends and some family are not looking elsewhere after Irma. These are life long residents also done with the heat and high cost of housing. I could never go back to that state. Even if we didn't live where we currently are forever, we'd never go back there. You're making a great choice. We chose to go halfback. We left New England due to weather and high housing costs and came to NC. Beautiful weather. We may (or not) get some snow, we'll get some cold but it won't be like NH. I was a life long Floridian. Lived there 34 years. You'll have to drag me back kicking and screaming to visit.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,918,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
We moved out of Fla weeks before Irma. Don't miss it one bit. I've had my windows open for weeks. Very chilly at night. Was in the 30's the other morning. All our bills went down and our quality of life went up by leaps and bounds. We are out every weekend doing something and every evening the kids play outside here and no old folks complain about it.

We had had enough of the relentless heat also. The summer never ends and the misery of the humidity is enough to make one crazy. Anyone who says "its not that bad" is an absolute liar. It should not be 90's at the end of Oct, or Nov, or Dec. Yet every year it is. A "cold front" should not consist of the temp dropping into the 80's. Yet it does. Complete and utter misery that state is.

Most of my friends and some family are not looking elsewhere after Irma. These are life long residents also done with the heat and high cost of housing. I could never go back to that state. Even if we didn't live where we currently are forever, we'd never go back there. You're making a great choice. We chose to go halfback. We left New England due to weather and high housing costs and came to NC. Beautiful weather. We may (or not) get some snow, we'll get some cold but it won't be like NH. I was a life long Floridian. Lived there 34 years. You'll have to drag me back kicking and screaming to visit.
30s sounds awful to me, I moved out of San Francisco because I thought 50s/60s was too cold. However, that is one of the great things about this country is it has something for everyone's tastes.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,222,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
30s sounds awful to me, I moved out of San Francisco because I thought 50s/60s was too cold. However, that is one of the great things about this country is it has something for everyone's tastes.
Exactly. Naples is tough when you can’t afford to buy a house and live on one lower income. Better elsewhere.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Quote:
Sounds awful to me, too. I don't like it much colder than 70s to be honest. I am glad some people hate Florida and are leaving. I hope they are happy wherever they have decided to move to. I am staying put!!! I feel like I live in paradise, here in beautiful Sarasota. By the way, as far as I am concerned the weather has been gorgeous for most of October, and we will be getting a "cold front" next week (for those who like a chillier temp )

Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,955,598 times
Quote:
Its not a bitter cold like New England. Its a more mild climate. I was outside last night and it was in the 50's. I didn't have a sweater on but I wasn't cold. In NH I was FREEZING at that temp. We don't get the temps for as long as the NE either. They only just close our pool 3 weeks ago which would have been closed long before in other colder places. Its a good in between. We'll get season change but nothing like the north will get and we won't still be 85 on Christmas either. Our leaves are changing and its nice to finally see something other than endless summer

Tons and Tons of people from NE and Fla coming here for the same reason. Sick of the endless summer (lets face it its been extended in Fla now. In the 80's it was down right chilly by Oct there. Last year we had the A/C on for Christmas), high cost of living in both states, and for summer the hurricanes (or Nor'Easters)

Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 AM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Its not a bitter cold like New England. Its a more mild climate. I was outside last night and it was in the 50's. I didn't have a sweater on but I wasn't cold. In NH I was FREEZING at that temp. We don't get the temps for as long as the NE either. They only just close our pool 3 weeks ago which would have been closed long before in other colder places. Its a good in between. We'll get season change but nothing like the north will get and we won't still be 85 on Christmas either. Our leaves are changing and its nice to finally see something other than endless summer

Tons and Tons of people from NE and Fla coming here for the same reason. Sick of the endless summer (lets face it its been extended in Fla now. In the 80's it was down right chilly by Oct there. Last year we had the A/C on for Christmas), high cost of living in both states, and for summer the hurricanes (or Nor'Easters)
It will be 72/55 in Sarasota starting Wednesday, and the rest of the week (as far as the forecast shows). Like I said, perfect for me. That is not what I call "endless summer". I hope you continue to enjoy your move to NC, but you are still in the "honeymoon" stage; you haven't even been through the winter yet. Just like when people move here, and haven't endured a summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida