U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:54 PM

8,286 posts, read 6,229,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
San Diego. Except they've got other problems right now.
I would hate that state. Boring weather, ugly beaches and cold water temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 PM

3,185 posts, read 1,220,738 times
It might be great for you but try and remember why you left the northeast. Sometimes brutal winters. Humid summers. Insane cost of living. Extremely overcrowded. Stressful daily existence.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 PM

10,306 posts, read 10,195,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu View Post
My wife and I moved here over a decade ago. We have great careers, beautiful children, great school, nice house a few blocks from the beach, etc. Irma broke something about Florida for us. We were without power for a week and it was hell. I've started looking for jobs in the north east and we're prepping our house to sell. There's something about September in the north. I just can't be unbearably hot anymore. Our neighborhood still smells of rotten debris.

I realize this may read like a complaint post. It's not. We've been all over Florida from the Keys to High Springs... we still love it and the plan is to come back for a week or two in the spring moving forward.

I guess the battle with the heat wore me out as a full-time resident.
Really? Without power for all of one week (out of what, ten years you been here) broke you? lol.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:50 AM

452 posts, read 169,383 times
Quote:
My wife and I moved here over a decade ago. We have great careers, beautiful children, great school, nice house a few blocks from the beach, etc. Irma broke something about Florida for us. We were without power for a week and it was hell. I've started looking for jobs in the north east and we're prepping our house to sell. There's something about September in the north. I just can't be unbearably hot anymore. Our neighborhood still smells of rotten debris.

I realize this may read like a complaint post. It's not. We've been all over Florida from the Keys to High Springs... we still love it and the plan is to come back for a week or two in the spring moving forward.

I left Florida back in February and returned to my native state of Arizona. I had moved to Tallahassee for a job in 2002 when the IT recession hit the software industry out west. I mostly worked in Tallahassee but also lived and worked 1 year in South FL (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami).

I left in February and love it. I missed the mountains of my home state. I go up Piestewa Peak in Phoenix every weekend with pure euphoria. I watched the news on the hurricanes. I don't miss it. I got hit by Hurricane Hermine a year ago in Tallahassee. It was annoying.

Phoenix's main downfall is the extreme heat in June-August. But I am used to it, and it is very dry. But from late September until about early May the weather is largely ideal - like right now!

Old 10-10-2017, 01:13 AM

10,636 posts, read 8,874,394 times
Quote:
I understand and am proud of you to know who you are and what you want and need!
Funny you say the Northeast...I escaped from decades there to the Southwest! lol...
Couldn't be happier! Not too hot, not too cold, no weather disasters to speak of...
cheaper properties than the whole Eastcoast, nice people, better traffic, 2 mosquitoes a year...

Old 10-10-2017, 04:50 AM

30,717 posts, read 34,703,230 times
While many extol the convenience of Floridas warm weather Take Air conditioning out of the equation and i'm sure many will tire of the unrelenting heat and humidity and be following the op to cooler climes.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:54 AM

18,345 posts, read 24,793,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Do whatever makes you happy. I think your reason for moving is irrational, but it's your life at the end of the day.
I wouldn't call it irrational. For those who experienced a hurricane for the first time in terms of consistent wind, the violent sounds associated with it in sheer darkness for 10 to 12 hours along with the damage inflicted on your biggest investment (your home) and in many cases no electricity for several days, it does inflict a form of PTSD that has impacted many. Not to mention the anxiety inflicted by the media for days leading up to the event. There are very few areas of the country with consistent catastrophic disasters and while some areas are colder, they certainly aren't deadly or present worry that you could lose all of your possessions (or worse).

Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 AM

365 posts, read 100,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Really? Without power for all of one week (out of what, ten years you been here) broke you? lol.
lol right?? I've lived here 3 years now in Naples and yes going without power for the 9 days or so wasn't the most fun, but what really got my spirit down was the iffy Gulf water the week after the hurricane and not being able to swim with bacteria bans along with it being kinda brown.... Went yesterday for a morning AND evening swim, water never looked or felt better!!

Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 AM

41 posts, read 7,637 times
Quote:
We were without power for a week and it was hell.
Most people don't realize this but if this were to happen you again by all means check into a hotel room and bill FEMA for it later. They will almost certainly reimburse all of your expenses for a reasonably priced room.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:51 AM

41 posts, read 7,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't call it irrational. For those who experienced a hurricane for the first time in terms of consistent wind, the violent sounds associated with it in sheer darkness for 10 to 12 hours along with the damage inflicted on your biggest investment (your home) and in many cases no electricity for several days, it does inflict a form of PTSD that has impacted many. Not to mention the anxiety inflicted by the media for days leading up to the event. There are very few areas of the country with consistent catastrophic disasters and while some areas are colder, they certainly aren't deadly or present worry that you could lose all of your possessions (or worse).
I think this is a giant exaggeration. I spent Irma in my oceanfront condo in Miami Beach. I was scheduled to fly out (to Cancun, a trip planned long before) the Friday before but my trip was canceled Thursday night and I could not find a replacement in time. Along with me being injured, 6 broken ribs from an accident the week before, I decided to ride it out.

For 2 days there was nonstop wind but that was about it. My condo never lost power (though I lost internet).

The most depressing part was leaving my unit that Tuesday to see all the landscaping damage.

I haven't been back to my Condo since the hurricane, I will be back January or February. Hopefully the trees recover by then. But if that's my only complaint, then it goes to show you how mild it was for most of Florida. Yes, the Keys and possibly SW Florida had it a lot stronger. But most of the state just had landscaping damage and some power outages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida