U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 PM
 
18,345 posts, read 24,793,042 times
Reputation: 15316

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I think this is a giant exaggeration. I spent Irma in my oceanfront condo in Miami Beach. I was scheduled to fly out (to Cancun, a trip planned long before) the Friday before but my trip was canceled Thursday night and I could not find a replacement in time. Along with me being injured, 6 broken ribs from an accident the week before, I decided to ride it out.

For 2 days there was nonstop wind but that was about it. My condo never lost power (though I lost internet).

The most depressing part was leaving my unit that Tuesday to see all the landscaping damage.

I haven't been back to my Condo since the hurricane, I will be back January or February. Hopefully the trees recover by then. But if that's my only complaint, then it goes to show you how mild it was for most of Florida. Yes, the Keys and possibly SW Florida had it a lot stronger. But most of the state just had landscaping damage and some power outages.
An exaggeration for you perhaps, but for the majority who were actually near landfall or in it's path it was a different story. You seriously sound like one of those who says global warming doesn't exist because it was cold where you were today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:32 PM
 
18,345 posts, read 24,793,042 times
Reputation: 15316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Hurricanes are only scary if you live in a mobile home. If you live in a normal house, it's just cosmetic damage, which is why you have insurance. You have plenty of warning unlike wildfires, earthquakes, tornadoes. You can always just drive North, if you are scared and wait until power is restored.
Sorry but that quite possibly is among the stupidest things I have read in awhile. Please do share that theory with those who have lost their homes or suffered serious damage from hurricanes in Florida, not to mention the tornadoes that are spawned by the storms. Also the premise of simply up and leaving for many isn't a given if not self-employed and/or independently wealthy. It was estimated over half of the residents of Orlando alone wouldn't have had the financial means to evacuate from a hurricane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM
 
Location: USA
14,120 posts, read 13,562,197 times
Reputation: 10042
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry but that quite possibly is among the stupidest things I have read in awhile. Please do share that theory with those who have lost their homes or suffered serious damage from hurricanes in Florida, not to mention the tornadoes that are spawned by the storms. Also the premise of simply up and leaving for many isn't a given if not self-employed and/or independently wealthy. It was estimated over half of the residents of Orlando alone wouldn't have had the financial means to evacuate from a hurricane.
You havent experienced life in other places to understand a hurricane is probably the safest natural disaater to encounter in the continental US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM
 
7,026 posts, read 8,625,921 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You havent experienced life in other places to understand a hurricane is probably the safest natural disaater to encounter in the continental US
To be fair, you and I probably have cbs homes. I don't think your statement would apply to someone with a wood frame home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 04:24 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
8,098 posts, read 5,121,614 times
Reputation: 10095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Most people don't realize this but if this were to happen you again by all means check into a hotel room and bill FEMA for it later. They will almost certainly reimburse all of your expenses for a reasonably priced room.
I'd question whether FEMA would reimburse someone for lodging expenses if they left their home just because they had no power there. Generally the criteria would be if the home was uninhabitable due to severe damage. While it's miserable to be without AC in the FL summer heat, it's not uninhabitable.

And from the perpective of an old Floridian who's gone through several hurricanes, including Andrew in Miami in 1992 which destroyed our house and neighborhood. The rebuilding process took us two years total and had to be the worse two years I ever spent. If the loss of one's power at home for a period of time is the extent of the effect of a hurricane, one can count his/her blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 05:51 PM
 
2,489 posts, read 1,463,461 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu View Post
My wife and I moved here over a decade ago. We have great careers, beautiful children, great school, nice house a few blocks from the beach, etc. Irma broke something about Florida for us. We were without power for a week and it was hell. I've started looking for jobs in the north east and we're prepping our house to sell. There's something about September in the north. I just can't be unbearably hot anymore. Our neighborhood still smells of rotten debris.

I realize this may read like a complaint post. It's not. We've been all over Florida from the Keys to High Springs... we still love it and the plan is to come back for a week or two in the spring moving forward.

I guess the battle with the heat wore me out as a full-time resident.
If you can afford a nice house a few blocks from the beach spending under $20K for a whole house generator is out of the question?!?

Sounds like someone didnít plan...as someone who lost power for 9 days with Sandy and 5 with Irene in the NE I was prepared here..but whatever floats your boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 PM
 
2,489 posts, read 1,463,461 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
Been here 5 yrs and Irma was my first hurricane rodeo. My plan is to never stick around to experience it first hand. I've heard enough of how scary it can be and that was good enough. I knew moving here that having a hurricane hit wasn't an if but when.
If I see a Cat 2 coming, I'm evacuating out of the cone and don't plan to come back until some form of power is restored. I'm adding an evac/unscheduled vacation budget to my finance. Going forward, I'm looking to beef up the house a bit more to lessen damage (cut down trees, add more shutters, clear yard etc etc.)
In terms of losing the house, that's what the big insurance bill I pay every year is there for. I don't have any attachment to anything other than family members and limbs and I plan to take that out of harm's way.

I lived in the northeast growing up and don't want to deal with months of misery cold winter ever. I hate cold feet on cold floors. Spent a good decade plus in the more temperate midwest with no harsh winter but it was too landlocked and long drive to crappy beaches (unless it was a full day drive to get to Florida panhandle). Even spent a short stint in the west coast in San Diego and it was too expensive with beautiful beaches that you can't really swim in. I'm willing to deal with a hurricane event once or twice a year in exchange for the great quality of life that Florida has to offer with the plethora of sunshine and beauty and laid back lifestyle.

Everyone has their own priorities and breaking point. Life is short, hope you find what you're looking for. Cheers.
If your home is up to the latest code and CBS youíre good for more than a Cat 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 PM
 
2,489 posts, read 1,463,461 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I think this is a giant exaggeration. I spent Irma in my oceanfront condo in Miami Beach. I was scheduled to fly out (to Cancun, a trip planned long before) the Friday before but my trip was canceled Thursday night and I could not find a replacement in time. Along with me being injured, 6 broken ribs from an accident the week before, I decided to ride it out.

For 2 days there was nonstop wind but that was about it. My condo never lost power (though I lost internet).

The most depressing part was leaving my unit that Tuesday to see all the landscaping damage.

I haven't been back to my Condo since the hurricane, I will be back January or February. Hopefully the trees recover by then. But if that's my only complaint, then it goes to show you how mild it was for most of Florida. Yes, the Keys and possibly SW Florida had it a lot stronger.But most of the state just had landscaping damage and some power outages.
You must have tracked a different Irma. Naples and Everglades City got hammered. Miami Beach didnít even get 100 mph gusts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 PM
 
8,286 posts, read 6,229,682 times
Reputation: 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If your home is up to the latest code and CBS youíre good for more than a Cat 2.
But not a Cat 5 with gust over 220mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 PM
 
2,489 posts, read 1,463,461 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
But not a Cat 5 with gust over 220mph.
Not much you can do there. But at least with a hurricane you will have days to know its relative path and strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top