U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:57 PM

14,120 posts, read 13,562,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
To be fair, you and I probably have cbs homes. I don't think your statement would apply to someone with a wood frame home
Even so compare it to a wildfire, earthquake, tornado.... which natural disaster would you rather happen. A hurricane you can always leave if your life is in danger and for most it is not life threatening in Amerixa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 AM

7,026 posts, read 8,625,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Even so compare it to a wildfire, earthquake, tornado.... which natural disaster would you rather happen. A hurricane you can always leave if your life is in danger and for most it is not life threatening in Amerixa
Lots of tornadoes spawned by irma, some of which were nasty. I know people on the coast who lost roofs and pool enclosures.

That being said, the one good thing hurricanes give is notice. Obviously not enough notice for the fires in cali, and no notice for earthquakes

Old 10-11-2017, 08:08 AM

13,937 posts, read 27,376,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Lots of tornadoes spawned by irma, some of which were nasty. I know people on the coast who lost roofs and pool enclosures.

That being said, the one good thing hurricanes give is notice. Obviously not enough notice for the fires in cali, and no notice for earthquakes
People are always talking about the beautiful, perfect weather in California, but they have a LOT of wildfires on the regular, with high winds; and are always in a drought, I do not call that "perfect weather." Not to mention the most polluted cities in the US are mostly in California (Florida has some of the best). I will take too much rain/hurricanes any day over that. Even in good times, much of that state looks dead and brown. And hurricanes occur during a certain season; so if one is able, can vacate during that time. At the very least there is a lot of notice that one is imminent.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM

1,494 posts, read 983,805 times
Irma was my first hurricane since we moved to FL. Our son and his family live nearby and I've always felt he was quite cavalier in his attitude toward hurricanes/tropical storms. I learned he had it right and I was wrong.

I will not obsessively follow the news or weather blogs two weeks out, allowing myself to let stress accumulate daily like I did this time. I'll stay abreast of weather developments and go about my daily life without watching NOAA's every update. My son's seeming nonchalance came from years of being bombarded with hurricane hysteria. He quickly learned to keep it in check. Be aware, think logically, have a plan, and stay away from media coverage is his strategy.

There comes a point in most parent's life when the role of adult and child reverse. Thanks to Irma, that happened sooner than expected. I learned a valuable lesson.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-11-2017 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM

4,304 posts, read 4,055,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I will not obsessively follow the news or weather blogs two weeks out, allowing myself to let stress accumulate daily like I did this time. I'll stay abreast of weather developments and go about my daily life without watching NOAA's every update.
Great lesson learned!
Obsessing over the news when a storm's coming just makes you nuts.
(I think they have to be so in your face, non stop about reporting it, because of so many dumb-dumbs out there...that, and it's cheaper than sending out reporters to find "real" news stories)

Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 PM

12,826 posts, read 6,580,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Irma was my first hurricane since we moved to FL. Our son and his family live nearby and I've always felt he was quite cavalier in his attitude toward hurricanes/tropical storms. I learned he had it right and I was wrong.

I will not obsessively follow the news or weather blogs two weeks out, allowing myself to let stress accumulate daily like I did this time. I'll stay abreast of weather developments and go about my daily life without watching NOAA's every update. My son's seeming nonchalance came from years of being bombarded with hurricane hysteria. He quickly learned to keep it in check. Be aware, think logically, have a plan, and stay away from media coverage is his strategy.

There comes a point in most parent's life when the role of adult and child reverse. Thanks to Irma, that happened sooner than expected. I learned a valuable lesson.
Wise son.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:20 PM

12,826 posts, read 6,580,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Great lesson learned!
Obsessing over the news when a storm's coming just makes you nuts.
(I think they have to be so in your face, non stop about reporting it, because of so many dumb-dumbs out there...that, and it's cheaper than sending out reporters to find "real" news stories)
Plus their ratings go up so they can charge more for advertising.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:39 PM

266 posts, read 641,141 times
You know they make something called whole-house generators if you can't bare to be without AC for a week.

It's a lot cheaper than uprooting your whole life for an event that only happens once a decade or so.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
2,375 posts, read 981,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
You know they make something called whole-house generators if you can't bare to be without AC for a week.

It's a lot cheaper than uprooting your whole life for an event that only happens once a decade or so.
That's what we're doing. Scheduled for installation sometime in December. Next hurricane season we are going to be prepared.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM

306 posts, read 227,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't call it irrational. For those who experienced a hurricane for the first time in terms of consistent wind, the violent sounds associated with it in sheer darkness for 10 to 12 hours along with the damage inflicted on your biggest investment (your home) and in many cases no electricity for several days, it does inflict a form of PTSD that has impacted many. Not to mention the anxiety inflicted by the media for days leading up to the event. There are very few areas of the country with consistent catastrophic disasters and while some areas are colder, they certainly aren't deadly or present worry that you could lose all of your possessions (or worse).
Good post. I remember my first land falling hurricane, it was Hugo in 1989 and I was about 20. I lived in Largo but was moving equipment for my employer out of harms way so local employees could prepare for the storm. I worked for a class 1 railroad at the time. Wow, it was incredible but I thought if something like this ever hits Pinellas county it will be hell. Hugo hit at night , outside of Charleston mainly destroyed rural areas. Thats not Tampa bay. Seeing the power of nature was adrenaline pumping but 5 days after the storm I was back in Largo with a roof over my head. Its not the same when that storm destroys your home, occupation, everything you have. It doesn't matter how many days up front notice you have.

I will always remember Hugo and watching the eastern lights in the sky, power blowing at first I thought lightning..
Then my ears clogging and popping as if taking off in a plane or climbing a mountain. Then total destruction for a couple of dark black hours.

Most of Florida didn't see squat in IRMA, but they think they know what a hurricane is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida