U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 PM

16,303 posts, read 15,935,650 times

Advertisements

My friends in San Francisco and East Bay are now recommended to wear N95 face masks anytime they are outside... hurricanes really aren't that bad unless you live in a mobile home, but even so, at least you have the option to leave if your life is at high risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:07 AM

8,069 posts, read 9,730,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My friends in San Francisco and East Bay are now recommended to wear N95 face masks anytime they are outside... hurricanes really aren't that bad unless you live in a mobile home, but even so, at least you have the option to leave if your life is at high risk.
Yup, they say the air there is like China now... ironic considering how strict cali is on pollution and how green they try to be

Wildfire Smoke Has Made Bay Area Air Quality Its Worst On Record : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 AM

11,077 posts, read 7,907,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup, they say the air there is like China now... ironic considering how strict cali is on pollution and how green they try to be

Wildfire Smoke Has Made Bay Area Air Quality Its Worst On Record : Shots - Health News : NPR
When ya live in the bottom of a bowl nole what do ya expect. Air sinks with high pressure over ya.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 AM

9,047 posts, read 6,216,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Why would you announce the world that you're a wuss and an overall failure at life? Seriously...nut up!
Don't discourage this poster from leaving FL. There are too many people here now, and IMO it'd be great if he took about 5 million of his friends with him.! And even better if it made a few million wannebee FL transplants change their minds as well about coming to live in the "Sunshine State."

Old 10-13-2017, 04:34 AM

9,047 posts, read 6,216,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Well, we kinda thought Andrew was no picnic after wind driven debris blew through our shuttered windows, destroying about half of our well constructed CBS house from the roof down. The two years it took us to go through the rebuilding process were the worst I ever experienced, even though IMO we came out stronger and wiser for the experience.

Not that bad, my a $$.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,592,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't discourage this poster from leaving FL. There are too many people here now, and IMO it'd be great if he took about 5 million of his friends with him.! And even better if it made a few million wannebee FL transplants change their minds as well about coming to live in the "Sunshine State."
Yes and no on that. You can feel the hit economically when the snowbirders leave, but you can also feel the congestion (traffic and public ares) lighten up as well......with the population comes income/real estate taxes, economic activlity, jobs......and with that brings better infrastructure, cultural events, sporting events.......hate to curse that.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:11 AM

15,857 posts, read 9,010,851 times
Quote:
I suspect he does not have 5 million friends in FL and the ones he does have probably are planning on staying.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:13 AM

15,857 posts, read 9,010,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Yes and no on that. You can feel the hit economically when the snowbirders leave, but you can also feel the congestion (traffic and public ares) lighten up as well......with the population comes income/real estate taxes, economic activlity, jobs......and with that brings better infrastructure, cultural events, sporting events.......hate to curse that.
Yes, snow birds come, leave money and then go home.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM

16,303 posts, read 15,935,650 times
Quote:
Well, we kinda thought Andrew was no picnic after wind driven debris blew through our shuttered windows, destroying about half of our well constructed CBS house from the roof down. The two years it took us to go through the rebuilding process were the worst I ever experienced, even though IMO we came out stronger and wiser for the experience.

Not that bad, my a $$.
How slow do you work? Two years to repair damage from a busted window? I've completely renovated two homes from top to bottom within 30-60 days. And the most important thing is your life... getting caught in a wildfire, earthquake or tornado is much worse and dangerous, both for your home and your lives.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:53 AM

1,200 posts, read 480,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu View Post
My wife and I moved here over a decade ago. We have great careers, beautiful children, great school, nice house a few blocks from the beach, etc. Irma broke something about Florida for us. We were without power for a week and it was hell. I've started looking for jobs in the north east and we're prepping our house to sell. There's something about September in the north. I just can't be unbearably hot anymore. Our neighborhood still smells of rotten debris.

I realize this may read like a complaint post. It's not. We've been all over Florida from the Keys to High Springs... we still love it and the plan is to come back for a week or two in the spring moving forward.

I guess the battle with the heat wore me out as a full-time resident.
Don't hold out on South Carolina, particularly Greenville area, for looking for jobs. Yes the summer is hot but this time of year in Greenville is very nice, winters have snow or ice about once a season but it's not as cold or snowy as the Northeast. This way you would still be a drive away from Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida