U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
2,375 posts, read 981,497 times

Advertisements

The ones that had power got booked VERY quickly if they weren't booked beforehand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM

55 posts, read 6,678 times
Another thing I consider is if I want to retire in a single family home in FL

I think about an old poster who had a husband with MS. Her roof was damaged during hurricane Matthew and she died a few months later. I don't think her last months were easy dealing with cancer and dealing with home damage, contractors, insurance companies etc. I also think about the future of her husband now that she's gone.

I don't know. It's a scary thought to retire here and having to deal with a hurricane aftermath. Maybe getting old is hard everywhere.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 PM

306 posts, read 227,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabaza dream View Post
I disagree. I've been through Andrew, Katrina, Wilma and Irma so I think I know what a "hurricane" feels like. Irma was just as stressful. We as a state were better prepared and our structures are better now. FPL got power stored much faster than in 1992 but we would expect that.

It doesn't mean though that people didn't face difficulties. Before the storm We had major food, water, batteries, hurricane panels and gas shortages. I had never seen such shortages before. The lines at Home Depot, Costco and gas stations were horrible. Many people were without power for days. food got spoiled. Roofs got damaged, fences fell, trees damaged homes. Andrew was stronger but it only lasted a few hours. Irma felt like it was never gonna end. So many people lost power because of the storm's northern track. Had Irma had a track like Andrew(western track) it would have only affected a few people in 5 or 6 counties. Restoration of power took so long because practically the whole state was without power.

I think I will have Irma nightmares in the future. For me it was extremely stressful. On top of that we had no phone or cell service for days and my 82 year old aunt was stressed out because she kept calling but we were not getting the calls. Sadly my aunt was the one who died 2 weeks later so this storm reminds me of her stress too.
I fully agree with you about the stress and anxiety. It started the Tuesday before the storm hit the following Sunday. It was started by rick scott declaring a state of emergency that Tuesday. 2 to 4 days ahead of mandatory evacuation orders. At my location evacuation orders weren't made until Saturday morning. But if you didn't have gas in the tank by Tuesday evening, or anything else you were SOL! Very nerve wracking people acted silly and rude. As expected. But there was nothing left for those that had mandatory orders to leave by that time.

That was a bad call giving all that attention to a state of emergency so early with a storm so far away and no real confidence in its long range track by the NHC.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 PM

1,044 posts, read 460,088 times
Florida is the best state to live in if you hate the cold but it has it's problems as well. I really like having 4 seasons so I like TN weather than FL.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 PM

14,120 posts, read 13,562,197 times
My friends in San Francisco and East Bay are now recommended to wear N95 face masks anytime they are outside... hurricanes really aren't that bad unless you live in a mobile home, but even so, at least you have the option to leave if your life is at high risk.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:07 AM

7,026 posts, read 8,625,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My friends in San Francisco and East Bay are now recommended to wear N95 face masks anytime they are outside... hurricanes really aren't that bad unless you live in a mobile home, but even so, at least you have the option to leave if your life is at high risk.
Yup, they say the air there is like China now... ironic considering how strict cali is on pollution and how green they try to be

Wildfire Smoke Has Made Bay Area Air Quality Its Worst On Record : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 AM

8,286 posts, read 6,229,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup, they say the air there is like China now... ironic considering how strict cali is on pollution and how green they try to be

Wildfire Smoke Has Made Bay Area Air Quality Its Worst On Record : Shots - Health News : NPR
When ya live in the bottom of a bowl nole what do ya expect. Air sinks with high pressure over ya.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 AM

8,098 posts, read 5,121,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Why would you announce the world that you're a wuss and an overall failure at life? Seriously...nut up!
Don't discourage this poster from leaving FL. There are too many people here now, and IMO it'd be great if he took about 5 million of his friends with him.! And even better if it made a few million wannebee FL transplants change their minds as well about coming to live in the "Sunshine State."

Old 10-13-2017, 04:34 AM

8,098 posts, read 5,121,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Well, we kinda thought Andrew was no picnic after wind driven debris blew through our shuttered windows, destroying about half of our well constructed CBS house from the roof down. The two years it took us to go through the rebuilding process were the worst I ever experienced, even though IMO we came out stronger and wiser for the experience.

Not that bad, my a $$.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 AM

25,163 posts, read 21,186,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't discourage this poster from leaving FL. There are too many people here now, and IMO it'd be great if he took about 5 million of his friends with him.! And even better if it made a few million wannebee FL transplants change their minds as well about coming to live in the "Sunshine State."
Yes and no on that. You can feel the hit economically when the snowbirders leave, but you can also feel the congestion (traffic and public ares) lighten up as well......with the population comes income/real estate taxes, economic activlity, jobs......and with that brings better infrastructure, cultural events, sporting events.......hate to curse that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida