Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,117,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While many extol the convenience of Floridas warm weather Take Air conditioning out of the equation and i'm sure many will tire of the unrelenting heat and humidity and be following the op to cooler climes.
Yep. Florida did not develop until AC was invented and available for mass production.

Interestingly, one of the early attempts at AC was made by a Florida doctor, to help his patients. From Wikipedia:

"In 1842, Florida physician John Gorrie used compressor technology to create ice, which he used to cool air for his patients in his hospital in Apalachicola, Florida. He hoped to eventually use his ice-making machine to regulate the temperature of buildings. He even envisioned centralized air conditioning that could cool entire cities. Though his prototype leaked and performed irregularly, Gorrie was granted a patent in 1851 for his ice-making machine. Though his process improved the artificial production of ice, his hopes for its success vanished soon afterwards when his chief financial backer died and Gorrie did not get the money he needed to develop the machine. According to his biographer, Vivian M. Sherlock, he blamed the "Ice King", Frederic Tudor, for his failure, suspecting that Tudor had launched a smear campaign against his invention. Dr. Gorrie died impoverished in 1855, and the dream of commonplace air conditioning went away for 50 years.[citation needed]"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 AM

126 posts, read 141,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Most people don't realize this but if this were to happen you again by all means check into a hotel room and bill FEMA for it later. They will almost certainly reimburse all of your expenses for a reasonably priced room.

FEMA are saying only if your property has extensive damage https://www.fema.gov/faq-details/Man...16280/expenses

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=fe...p=mss&ei=UTF-8

Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM

34,110 posts, read 18,357,935 times
I avoid Florida for two reasons. The heat, and humidity (climate in general), and that it has become NYC "South".

Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

471 posts, read 541,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't call it irrational. For those who experienced a hurricane for the first time in terms of consistent wind, the violent sounds associated with it in sheer darkness for 10 to 12 hours along with the damage inflicted on your biggest investment (your home) and in many cases no electricity for several days, it does inflict a form of PTSD that has impacted many. Not to mention the anxiety inflicted by the media for days leading up to the event. There are very few areas of the country with consistent catastrophic disasters and while some areas are colder, they certainly aren't deadly or present worry that you could lose all of your possessions (or worse).
Been here 5 yrs and Irma was my first hurricane rodeo. My plan is to never stick around to experience it first hand. I've heard enough of how scary it can be and that was good enough. I knew moving here that having a hurricane hit wasn't an if but when.
If I see a Cat 2 coming, I'm evacuating out of the cone and don't plan to come back until some form of power is restored. I'm adding an evac/unscheduled vacation budget to my finance. Going forward, I'm looking to beef up the house a bit more to lessen damage (cut down trees, add more shutters, clear yard etc etc.)
In terms of losing the house, that's what the big insurance bill I pay every year is there for. I don't have any attachment to anything other than family members and limbs and I plan to take that out of harm's way.

I lived in the northeast growing up and don't want to deal with months of misery cold winter ever. I hate cold feet on cold floors. Spent a good decade plus in the more temperate midwest with no harsh winter but it was too landlocked and long drive to crappy beaches (unless it was a full day drive to get to Florida panhandle). Even spent a short stint in the west coast in San Diego and it was too expensive with beautiful beaches that you can't really swim in. I'm willing to deal with a hurricane event once or twice a year in exchange for the great quality of life that Florida has to offer with the plethora of sunshine and beauty and laid back lifestyle.

Everyone has their own priorities and breaking point. Life is short, hope you find what you're looking for. Cheers.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

6,276 posts, read 4,771,112 times
I lived 65 years in the NE and since we moved here last October there have been 2 major hurricanes. We had to evacuate twice and clean up lots of branches and debris. Its hot and humid in the summer. Would I move back to the NE? NEVER. Those cold winters with ice to slip and fall on, snow to shovel, treacherous driving, closed airports and delayed flights. Depressing grey weather. TAXES, TAXES and more TAXES. Its like going back to prison voluntarily.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 10-10-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,744,041 times
Quote:
While many extol the convenience of Floridas warm weather Take Air conditioning out of the equation and i'm sure many will tire of the unrelenting heat and humidity and be following the op to cooler climes.
?? Why would one take A/C out of the equation? - for Florida, Texas, Ariz, So. Cal, etc?? Conversely, who would not quickly tire of the cool Northern climes ... "if one took heaters and warm clothes out of the equation."

Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,155,282 times
Quote:
But this isn't the 1920s, and we have AC everywhere, so unless you live in a tent what is the problem?

It's not just 'convenient'. Living up north is so much work. You have to dress with all kinds of extra clothes, then go out and scrape your car windows and warm it up--just to leave in the morning (and maybe clear your driveway of snow).

Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,323,161 times
Generator.

/Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,247,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
I'm guessing like many reading this thread, I thought "huh"?

Yes the idea of going without power and A/C in our current summers is horrifying. If that happened to me, well at least I have a swimming pool, and I'd invest in backup electric so it didn't happen again.

Looking at the OP's posting history, I came across this from 2010:

Hey, everyone has their preferences. I spent time in finger lakes area, other areas of upstate NY, then in Indiana and Chicago. I hated upstate NY, but Chicago was the final straw that drove me to Florida.

I think the original post is a bit of drama. Sounds like the OP never liked living full time in Florida.

In any event, if the OP is still around, I hope the move works out well for you and your family.
Yep born and raised in SoCal and moving to FL early next year. Heat and humidity is fine by me and I have lived in Indiana and Idaho and cold is not what I want to experience again except when I open my refrigerator. Better taxes in FL and Hurricanes are no different than earthquakes, fires, blizzards, etc, except you get plenty of warning.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,712,807 times
Hurricanes are only scary if you live in a mobile home. If you live in a normal house, it's just cosmetic damage, which is why you have insurance. You have plenty of warning unlike wildfires, earthquakes, tornadoes. You can always just drive North, if you are scared and wait until power is restored.

As far as weather goes, it comes down to preference. I love humid weather because my skin tends to get dry really easily in dry climates. I don't want to put lotion on my entire body 1-2x per day. I also love water activity and just the feeling of a warm blanket when I walk outside. Everyone has a/c in Florida, so it doesn't bother me at all. I used to hate the couple weeks of hot weather when I lived in San Francisco because there is no a/c, so at night you decide between sweating to sleep or getting eaten by mosquitoes with your window open, while on the verge of sweating to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida