U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: real estate, mini golf, bowling, traffic, 50'' flat screen TV.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,816,954 times

Advertisements

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly living in south Florida was more fun when I was a kid. We would go to the beach almost weekly, visit friends, go to mini-golf, go-kart tracks and go bowling. Nowadays all people seem to do is go to work and sit in traffic. Only my dad had to work while today parents and even teenage kids go to jobs to help support the family. Surprisingly they don't do any work at home though. Maybe it's my imagination or has Florida turned into one big hamster wheel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 03:13 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,792,817 times
Thumbs up Its not imagination-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly living in south Florida was more fun when I was a kid. We would go to the beach almost weekly, visit friends, go to mini-golf, go-kart tracks and go bowling. Nowadays all people seem to do is go to work and sit in traffic. Only my dad had to work while today parents and even teenage kids go to jobs to help support the family. Surprisingly they don't do any work at home though. Maybe it's my imagination or has Florida turned into one big hamster wheel?

People need a reality check. People aged 23-39 who move down (without jobs or capital) really need to be aware that they are not going to be welcomed; I love the rationale of bitter people saying that everyone should welcomed down to florida, and those of us who are negative are wrong.
Booming developments are simply that; there are many retirees with money.

Young people should just learn the reality, is all. Florida is now for retirement, it is amusing to read people just picking up and moving down with no research.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,372,272 times
Everything always seems more fun when you are a kid! Most people still don't have to have both husband and wife working just to raise a kid or two.

But, when you were a kid, your dad probably mowed the lawn, your mom cooked every meal, your mom cleaned house, eating out was only for very special occasions, you didn't have as many cloths, no 50" flat screen TV, no $5000 vacations, etc. People did their own house repairs, had far fewer things in their houses, and lived quite comfortably in 1,500sf 3br/2bth houses. Maybe your dad would buy your mom a $50 piece of jewelry for Christmas; and maybe you kids were quite happy receiving a $20 bb gun for Christmas.

We've just become far more materialistic and pay the price for this with the grains of sand in our own hourglasses.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM

238 posts, read 607,531 times
I will always treasure my time in Florida during the "good ole days" I just could not work myself anymore. Burnout just came along with everything else and I had a Masters degree working 3 jobs. I did not want anyone to feel sorry for myself so I made a plan to live better. I moved out of state was able to buy a beautiful new 3 bd 2 ba home in a friendly subdivision. Cost of living is alot cheaper and our neighbors are great, I know everybody 5 doors down on each side we all get along, no crime we leave our doors unlocked and have given each other keys to our house...that would never happen in FL. I have had my neighbors bake cookies and bring them over to ease the pain of relocating, bought me a birthday gift for my birthday from people who we met 3 weeks ago and took us out to dinner just to be friendly. I can go on and on but bottom line is I did not know this existed anymore until I moved here to NE GA (Mountains). I just thought FL was all there was but I found out there was something better in life and it is short so live where you want to live and enjoy yourself if you want more info on my area and want to make a change PM me. Best of luck to all Happy Holidays!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,816,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Everything always seems more fun when you are a kid! Most people still don't have to have both husband and wife working just to raise a kid or two.

But, when you were a kid, your dad probably mowed the lawn, your mom cooked every meal, your mom cleaned house, eating out was only for very special occasions, you didn't have as many cloths, no 50" flat screen TV, no $5000 vacations, etc. People did their own house repairs, had far fewer things in their houses, and lived quite comfortably in 1,500sf 3br/2bth houses. Maybe your dad would buy your mom a $50 piece of jewelry for Christmas; and maybe you kids were quite happy receiving a $20 bb gun for Christmas.

We've just become far more materialistic and pay the price for this with the grains of sand in our own hourglasses.
Funny, I still do all the yard work and home repairs. Don't have any fancy stuff either. Vacations? Every time I travel it's tiring and rarely fun. SO I just stay home when I don't have to work.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:43 PM

598 posts, read 2,037,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
I will always treasure my time in Florida during the "good ole days" I just could not work myself anymore. Burnout just came along with everything else and I had a Masters degree working 3 jobs. I did not want anyone to feel sorry for myself so I made a plan to live better. I moved out of state was able to buy a beautiful new 3 bd 2 ba home in a friendly subdivision. Cost of living is alot cheaper and our neighbors are great, I know everybody 5 doors down on each side we all get along, no crime we leave our doors unlocked and have given each other keys to our house...that would never happen in FL. I have had my neighbors bake cookies and bring them over to ease the pain of relocating, bought me a birthday gift for my birthday from people who we met 3 weeks ago and took us out to dinner just to be friendly. I can go on and on but bottom line is I did not know this existed anymore until I moved here to NE GA (Mountains). I just thought FL was all there was but I found out there was something better in life and it is short so live where you want to live and enjoy yourself if you want more info on my area and want to make a change PM me. Best of luck to all Happy Holidays!
That's amazing spotrod. I think you are right about thinking this (our part florida) is all there is and noplace else could be any better. My neighborhood is not much like a community, just a street where lots of people live... A couple people we say hello to on occasion and are very nice but certainly nothing like you are describing. So I guess that southern hospitality thing really does exist Hey I wonder if your community will do christmas carolling? That would be just such a nice touch. Please keep us up on your new paradise. It is great hearing about everyone's moves, especially to know there IS life after florida. Thanx!

Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 PM

265 posts, read 794,461 times
Tallrick and everyone else. What you are describing is not a "Florida" problem.

It may be an attitude problem, maybe a generation problem, maybe a socio-economic problem, but not a Florida problem

Old 12-09-2006, 02:32 AM

6 posts, read 18,138 times
I've lived in fort lauderdale, fl since 1988. My dad was a simple welder and rented a 4 2 house for 7 hundred bucks. In one year bought a home in a middle class suburb for 67k and with a part time working mother lived a fufilling childhood 15 min away from the quiet beach. Not miami. (That is the end of the Fairy Tale) Florida is no place for a hard working family to start a life in. If the real estate doesn't scare you, the school system does. Even the Colleges are scary because mostly all trade schools are scams and overpriced. If you bought your home in florida during the last century, you are in good shape but to start here without a professional degree, good luck!!

Old 12-09-2006, 07:12 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,792,817 times
Thumbs up so true-

Quote:
Originally Posted by schhm4j View Post
I've lived in fort lauderdale, fl since 1988. My dad was a simple welder and rented a 4 2 house for 7 hundred bucks. In one year bought a home in a middle class suburb for 67k and with a part time working mother lived a fufilling childhood 15 min away from the quiet beach. Not miami. (That is the end of the Fairy Tale) Florida is no place for a hard working family to start a life in. If the real estate doesn't scare you, the school system does. Even the Colleges are scary because mostly all trade schools are scams and overpriced. If you bought your home in florida during the last century, you are in good shape but to start here without a professional degree, good luck!!
especially in the area you are talking about. - that suburb in 1988- I am sure does NOT look the same. Broward Cty is the ugliest place I have ever seen, next to Queens NY. Overcrowding, no decent jobs- a rat race where the rats are tripping over each other. Anyone who goes there is in for a rude awakening.

sunny.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:54 PM

489 posts, read 1,860,339 times
Default couldnt agree more

Spotrod's post brought tears to my eyes. I haven't lived anywhere quite like that, but as you all know, it is a huge leap from South FL. It must be nice to reside somewhere that you can also live life and enjoy the simple, finer things. No time for that in S FL with all the working aka The Hamster Wheel, and then when there is time off, it is about playing catch up at home and just too exhausted and burned out to even think about going out to enjoy the beauty and nature of FL. Everything just feels like such a burden, and that is so wrong. I miss St Pete, the first FL city I lived in (I am a transplant from NW IN outside of Chicago), but more and more, I am thinking "Get the heck out of dodge". My aging and ill parents live in N AL, and there are a lot of times that I really need to be closer to them so I have been entertaining the idea of a city near them. The jobs, housing, and people would be such a sight for these sore eyes. I am glad that everyone who has left FL is happy. It is so encouraging. Perhaps those of us who remain but wish we were not here should make up a 12 step program for leaving FL and find ourselves some sponsors. My name is . . ., and I am running myself ragged in South FL, and you who have left can stand up and tell us all how many days, weeks, months, or years you've been Florida free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or