U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM

11 posts, read 11,655 times

Advertisements

We live in Pinellas County now and are looking for a quieter, less crowded place. My husband works from home so we don't have to be within a certain distance of anywhere in particular. I love that there is so much to do here but the traffic is ridiculous. I can't escape it - I even hear traffic when I'm inside my house. I have PTSD and the triggers have worsened since living here. I've never lived in a place so congested. I've got to go somewhere quieter for my sanity. What are some safe smaller towns that aren't overcrowded and don't get a huge influx of snowbirds? We have young kids and want a place we can feel part of a community. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 05:08 PM

831 posts, read 1,034,687 times
Do you want to be close to the water and beaches or not?

There are many great small to mid size locations in Florida.

Ocala and Gainesville have beautiful trees and springs but you are 90 minutes to the beach.

St. Augustine/Palm Coast are nice small to mid size beach communities.

Charlotte County between Sarasota and Ft Myers is also low population and near outstanding beaches.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:45 PM

986 posts, read 987,620 times
I was also going to suggest Gainesville, but that's only if you don't mind not being real close to the beach.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 PM

1,255 posts, read 722,708 times
Pretty much any other ones beside south and central Florida.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:14 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,343,982 times
Try Glades county. Ya won't hear traffic there blare.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 PM

17,579 posts, read 10,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies7 View Post
We live in Pinellas County now and are looking for a quieter, less crowded place. My husband works from home so we don't have to be within a certain distance of anywhere in particular. I love that there is so much to do here but the traffic is ridiculous. I can't escape it - I even hear traffic when I'm inside my house. I have PTSD and the triggers have worsened since living here. I've never lived in a place so congested. I've got to go somewhere quieter for my sanity. What are some safe smaller towns that aren't overcrowded and don't get a huge influx of snowbirds? We have young kids and want a place we can feel part of a community. Thanks!
Check New Smyrna Beach or Edgewater as it is kinda low on snowbirds. Nice town as well in NSB. Just 45 minutes to Orlando. Can drive and park on the beach as well and far enough away from Daytona that bike week issues are minimal.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:23 AM

21,204 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Check New Smyrna Beach or Edgewater as it is kinda low on snowbirds. Nice town as well in NSB. Just 45 minutes to Orlando. Can drive and park on the beach as well and far enough away from Daytona that bike week issues are minimal.
Sorry but I disagree regarding New Smyrna Beach. It's overrun by FL residents during the summer season (7-8 months) with pretty bad traffic, especially weekends.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies7 View Post
If looking for a quiet areas with good schools you might look at Nassau County just north of Jacksonville. The towns of Fernandina Beach and Yulee have the uncrowded, lower density feel you're looking for with a nice sense of community, as well as top notch public schools. It's a relatively painless half hour or so drive into Jacksonville and obviously near the beaches of Amelia Island which are still unspoiled and largely undeveloped. Tourism while present is much less than what you're accustomed to and is largely contained to the resorts like the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island or day trippers checking out the beautiful historic downtown in Fernandina Beach, but certainly not in droves. Snowbirds are also at a minimum because the area is seen as too far north for most.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:03 AM

17,579 posts, read 10,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry but I disagree regarding New Smyrna Beach. It's overrun by FL residents during the summer season (7-8 months) with pretty bad traffic, especially weekends.
I have been there every month for years and the time to the beach is the same Summer and Winter and Spring and Fall and it is not bad and is not overrun with FL residents compared to just about every other beach. I timed my drive, about 8 miles to the beach from the West side of the 95 and each time, regardless of the time of day or the day of the week, it has been 20 minutes to be parked on the beach. I have friends who live there and who have for years and tell me the same thing.

Definitely fewer people there than at the more popular and well known beaches.

Last edited by expatCA; 10-26-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have been there every month for years and the time to the beach is the same Summer and Winter and Spring and Fall and it is not bad and is not overrun with FL residents compared to just about every other beach. I timed my drive, about 8 miles to the beach from the West side of the 95 and each time, regardless of the time of day or the day of the week, it has been 20 minutes to be parked on the beach. I have friends who live there and who have for years and tell me the same thing.

Definitely fewer people there than at the more popular and well known beaches.
Given the growth happening in Seminole, Lake and Volusia County I wouldn't look for "not bad" to continue and given the OP's criteria/current situation in Pinellas County, don't think there's a distinct enough difference as the eight miles in twenty minutes is fairly close to their current situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or