U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking positive aspects of living in Florida, what do people like most about life in Florida, quality of life in Florida, fond memories of Florida

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,145 times

Advertisements

1) Most appealing when I moved here: loved the weather, the manatees, the gators and the relaxed atmosphere.

2) What do I like most about the weather in FL? We only have two seasons! It's hot or rainy...no snow!

3) What change would have the biggest impact? Growth management and an overhaul of the education system really need to be considered for FL to have a positive, continuing appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 20,724 times
Well - I just HAVE to jump in, here.

I am a rare breed indeed. I am actually a Florida native. Few and far between are we! Born in the panhandle as a Navy brat 48 years ago, I have seen Florida change ALOT. Haven't spent my entire life here, so I have other areas to compare it to.

I have been living in South Florida for 16 years. I absolutely love it here. There are positives and negatives everywhere you go, and among the negatives I sense many sour grapes. There are also those who just prefer different things than Florida has to offer.

Most magical - coral reefs...a thunderstorm over the ocean...the sound of crickets in the evening...the sound of cicadas in the summer...fantastic variety of birds (wood storks, ibis, hawks, osprey, eagles, cardinals, blue jays, finches, hummingbirds, seagulls, pelicans, frigate birds, herons, cranes....the list goes on and on)...

Weather - I disagree there are only 2 seasons. Our seasons are more subtle than elsewhere, but there are definite changes specific to the time of year. And we did already have snow in Orlando this fall! LOL!

What I like about the weather are the days in the winter when I can open the windows!

Change? Pretty much agree about the growth!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 PM

11 posts, read 76,771 times
Default former floridian

1-most appealing: how vibrant and alive everything seemed to be. all the different people and cultures. how it seemed like a different world (I lived in Miami first).

2-weather? winter and spring. the ability to be outside year round (albeit during the summer mainly early morning and late afternoon).

3-change? education system, overcrowding, shallowness of the people, lack of community, great quality of life only for the wealthy, etc.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 PM

44 posts, read 140,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoresubways View Post
Ok yeah I know this is lame. But I want a thread aimed at the spirt of the holidays, whilst interlacing good, positive vibes about Florida. Ok I'm a little biased since I now own a home in Central Florida, but I'd like focus on that area if possible. Don't get me wrong it's totally a free country, please chip in from anywhere in the state.

As an aside, (I know some of you pessmistic, and certainly rightfully so given current destabilization of the insurance presence in Florida and the escalating property tax dilemma are going to want to respond in this forum because it is very inviting). I don't want to talk about those things here. I want to delve deep and think positive things. Come on, that may mean dusting off the shelf in the garage or the chest in the spare room.

I'm just gonna ask three hypothetical questions, anyone with fond memories and aspirations, please let me know your take on them.

1) When you first moved to Florida what did find most appealing to the area at that time (or for you guys who have lived there all your lives, what is the first, if any, real memory you have of the area)? Remember, save the negative rebuttals for another thread please.

2) What do you most like about the weather in Florida (ok this allows a little freedom for negativity because I am guessing some negatives coincide with other people's positives, if that makes sense)

3) What single change would have the biggest impact in Florida (particularly Central again)? I'll put some down but please ad lib on this one. Try to stay positive here but I understand the balance could easily go either way at this point in time.
ROSES IN DECEMBER AND JANUARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or