Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM

717 posts, read 773,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Let's be a bit kinder here and keep it lighthearted. There is no reason for name calling. I'll assume you meant it in jest.

Bottom line is that we all CHOOSE where we live, and there are good and bad points about everywhere. The point of this thread is how where we live affects us......not to debate how bad it is where we live.

FWIW, golf is still weeks away for us...there is still more snow on the ground then grass......but I live here, so I'll do my best not to complain since no one keeps any of us where we choose to live.

Frank D.
I was just bustin chops. I am annoyed at the endless cold though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM

627 posts, read 2,848,944 times
tallrick...

Hope you are feeling better, it has been ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL up here in the Belleview/Villages local.

I even got my sister and her kids to move here and get a job, in the Villages, from N.E. Ohio this week!!

I know what you mean about the extreme heat and humidity (my partial lungs do not like it at all).

Cheer Up!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM

657 posts, read 1,787,844 times
Quote:
Rachel,
You are correct. Much depends on the climate in which you live. We both live in NY, but there is much difference between weather, (and everything else) in western NY outside of Buffalo, and the NYC area.

Let us all get back on the topic here.....weather related blues.

I do find it surprising that one can be adversely affected by prolonged heat and humidity. I do not doubt it one bit. I just never thought of it, but I can see it happening. Conversely, I suppose that a change of seasons is nice, but we all react to it differently. I seem to have a bit of angst over the change of seasons....for me, winter is barely tolerable, spring is muddy, summer is great but too short, and fall is nice, but you are bracing for winter again. I am most prone to "the blues" during our long winters.

Up here, we also have a certain pressure to "get things done" before the next season. So much of what we do is seasonal. We have so much to "winterize" and "summerize". Snow tires, final coat of wax on vehicles to fight the rust, getting the snowblower ready, closing the pool, raking the leaves, tying up the bushes for ice, buying snow melt, getting all "freezeables" put away, cleaning out the gutters so the ice doe not ruin them, washing the windows because you won't get to do them again for 6 months, winterizing the mowers, trimmers, etc,. Siliconing all snow shovels, etc. All the spring clean up, preparing the garden for your 3 month growing season, etc,etc......packing and cleaning summer clothes, winter clothes, etc.

I do not think I will have that pressure in Florida as much. That pressure can contribute to stress and "the blues".

We as humans are complex creatures, and are affected by so much. We need the correct amount of exercise, nutrition, electrolytes, hormones, socialization, belief systems, etc, etc, to be healthy. That only scratches the surface.

Anyway.......interesting topic.

Well, I now need to go outside (35 degrees today with a cold wind), and drain some water off my pool. There is almost a foot of ice on top, and if it rains much more, the ice will ruin the top cap of my pool.......something I will not need to do in Florida.....

Frank D.
i was getting a bit freaked reading the tropical blues! but you defenately made me realize im making the right move outta Ct and to florida.
it cost sooo much just to maintain and live and you have to keep up or it will cost you more and more. oh and heating oil!!! we are dealing with the same issues. the top to our hottub is caving from all the snow we had. not to mention the back problems my poor husband deals with shoveling .we cant even go to work until the shoveling and scraping is done first. then he plows the driveway. blah blah blah.. im sure we will have florida issues too and eat some words. but for now... ill take the heat, and suffer a few months instead of freeze for 6 or 7.then put in our clunky unefficiant airconditioners that we lug up stairs and huff into all the windows! so frigen loud when they run. i do worry my husband wont like it when its hot and humid. and he will make me nutz! im only happy when everyone around me is... im a libra. lol. hope im a happy floridian. i get the weather disorder for sure here but its lack of sun. not to much.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
AJGiants.......I can relate......I can't wait to get the salt off my car and see what color they are.....

hdzup3......yes, it is my own opinion, but I think life for me will be easier. I'm sure I will miss the change of seasons a bit, but when you consider all the things we have to do to cope with the changing extremes up north here, I'm convinced life in Florida will be easier on my schedule, chore list, and my rapidly "growing older" body.

tallrick does us a service in reminding us that relentless sunshine and humidity can also negatively affect some people.

Awhile back someone started a thread about reasons to move to Florida...we were almost up to one hundred.....it's almost worth a repost to try to get it up to one hundred.

Frank D.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM

15 posts, read 96,272 times
People get depressed when it gets warm?!? I've never heard such craziness!!! I have spring fever, but I live in Minnesota. Winter has been long, cold and snowy and it's still only in the 40's!!! We won't hit 90 until at least June but maybe not until July!!!

I can't wait to be depressed about 90 degree weather!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,580 times
Quote:
Let's be a bit kinder here and keep it lighthearted. There is no reason for name calling. I'll assume you meant it in jest.

Bottom line is that we all CHOOSE where we live, and there are good and bad points about everywhere. The point of this thread is how where we live affects us......not to debate how bad it is where we live.

FWIW, golf is still weeks away for us...there is still more snow on the ground then grass......but I live here, so I'll do my best not to complain since no one keeps any of us where we choose to live.

Frank D.
Well, we don't always choose where we live. I certainly didn't choose to live in the northeast. If I had to money and financial resources I would be out of here in a heartbeat.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 AM

36 posts, read 183,933 times
I can relate to the original post. I have lived all over the U.S. and several places in Europe. ANY extremes can cause a very dreary feeling, I've found...TOO MUCH snow, too much sun, too much humidity, too many clouds.

Those who haven't experienced it don't understand it, sometimes.

Some in cold climates even scoff at those who suffer from heat. But you can be trapped in your home by heat just as surely as you can by cold. And financial stress plays a role: It is expensive to cool a home or heat a home. Not everyone has unlimited salaries and the fear of the heating/cooling bill can get you down.

When I lived in the low desert of Arizona, the relief from the humidity of New Orleans was wonderful -- but when it started going over 100 degrees, the "down" feeling became the same, "dry" heat or no. Endless heat...endless sun...3 months at a stretch and never a single puff of clouds in the sky...everything dead or dying in the yard, EVEN CACTI having to be watered. Too hot even for jeans on Halloween...ugh.

Likewise, in N.O., the endless humidity -- if you don't get outside and get your walk by 6 a.m., forget it, you will melt.

I won't even go into what it was like near Vancouver BC and then in Minnesota.

My sympathies to the OP and to all who struggle with mood disorders affected/caused by weather sameness.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 AM

26 posts, read 98,032 times
See, I'm worried now.
One of the main reasons that I'm leaving Scotland is the crappy cold weather, and inescapable rain.
Now I'm worried that the Fl weather could drive me mad too!

Well, I'm willing to give it a try, just seeing the sun is what I long for....

Old 03-29-2008, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 24,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Maybe you guys should get a room
OMG, a room where??? Not FLA I hope? But seriously...Florida-----you either love it or leave it. Where can one go for a healthy balance????

Old 03-29-2008, 12:18 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
I am annoyed at the endless cold though!
amen.... drove back from Fla last night.. minute I hit NH snowing like crazy... it is almost April right? I'm fearing my April showers are going to be snow showers... Did they omit something from that little ditty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida