U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:08 PM

492 posts, read 948,644 times

Advertisements

First, I feel bad procrastinating till now before asking so I want that out of the way.
Anyway, First vacation in about 4 of years and I want to go somewhere warm.
I'll be driving down from Savannah, GA and don't mind staying in two different places heading south and west to escape the upcoming cold front later this week.
I'm an outdoor person but also like exploring cultural/historic places as well as eating local foods.
I confess to being a thrifty vacationer and don't want to pay for 5 star type places that I will mostly just spend time to sleep and rest.
I also don't want to be somewhere like Atlanta where your stuck in commute traffic...not my idea of relaxing or enjoying myself.
I am curious about the gulf side of Florida for a couple of nights then perhaps stopping in Mississippi near Biloxi.
Thanks for any suggestions where to go and where to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 05:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
better head down south of Tampa this week, colder weather (highs 60s) headed our way

Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
St Petersburg would be a good option if you like culture/history, good food and warmer weather although it'll be chillier here too...though a good bit warmer than what you'll leave behind.
Arts Districts - St. Petersburg

You can stay right on St Pete Beach and be near lots to do with a decently priced room (in-season) for $114 a night which is very reasonable for time of year with a beachfront room at the Howard Johnson's Resort. https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/hojo/s...&iata=00065402

Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 AM

15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
St Petersburg would be a good option if you like culture/history, good food and warmer weather although it'll be chillier here too...though a good bit warmer than what you'll leave behind.
Arts Districts - St. Petersburg

You can stay right on St Pete Beach and be near lots to do with a decently priced room (in-season) for $114 a night which is very reasonable for time of year with a beachfront room at the Howard Johnson's Resort. https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/hojo/s...&iata=00065402
I agree with this ^^. And if there is time, head a bit further south to Sarasota, for more culture, history, good food and some of the best beaches in the country! (and they are free!)

Old 12-05-2017, 07:25 AM

188 posts, read 170,549 times
Stop by St Augustine on the way. Historic city and lots of Christmas lights this time of year.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
Stop by St Augustine on the way. Historic city and lots of Christmas lights this time of year.
Been to St Augustine before so probably just keep heading south.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Will the areas be congested by flocks of 'snow birds' from the North?

Old 12-05-2017, 10:30 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Drive floridas east coast (A1A) with Key West as the destination then drive back on Floridas west coast (41,then I-275 over the Bay then US19.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 AM

9,626 posts, read 6,605,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Will the areas be congested by flocks of 'snow birds' from the North?
Sarasota maybe. St-Pete, not so much.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 783,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
First, I feel bad procrastinating till now before asking so I want that out of the way.
Anyway, First vacation in about 4 of years and I want to go somewhere warm.
I'll be driving down from Savannah, GA and don't mind staying in two different places heading south and west to escape the upcoming cold front later this week.
I'm an outdoor person but also like exploring cultural/historic places as well as eating local foods.
I confess to being a thrifty vacationer and don't want to pay for 5 star type places that I will mostly just spend time to sleep and rest.
I also don't want to be somewhere like Atlanta where your stuck in commute traffic...not my idea of relaxing or enjoying myself.
I am curious about the gulf side of Florida for a couple of nights then perhaps stopping in Mississippi near Biloxi.
Thanks for any suggestions where to go and where to avoid.
The front is going through even as far as Miami. Saturday is expected in the 60's and it will be cloudy rainy. The front is coming through Daytona on Thursday with temps dropping into the 60's. Biloxi will be in the 40's from Thursday on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or