Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I moved to California (San Francisco) and Alaska (Wasilla)... I keep coming back to Florida (Orlando, but I also loved South Florida too around Delray Beach to Fort Lauderdale). I know for a fact now that I prefer hot weather, tropical feeling landscapes, nice homes etc.
Glad you like it here so much. Thing is, obviously not everyone shares your feelings. I know we don't, but that us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,255,854 times
Maybe look to Wyoming as another option.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Maybe look to Wyoming as another option.
We had thought about Cheyenne, but winters in the state can be worse than Colorado and no lakes like along the foothills in Colorado. I have an app about Cheyenne news and seems the crime is getting worse there.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,092,470 times
I lived in Miami Dade county for 43 years. I worked in a beautiful spot and enjoyed my 40+ year career. After retirement, I moved back to where I grew up (22 years), Lafayette, Indiana. I am very happy up here. Friendly people, much lower cost of living, four seasons, good drivers, appreciation of nature, camping, hiking, rivers and creeks, wonderful festivals, nice parks, fantastic university (Purdue). I know that the Midwest is not for everyone, but I missed it terribly while I was in Florida.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 6,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ourselves, we plan on leaving northeastern Florida in a year or so and going back to Colorado........possibly. Wife and I have been here since Jan 2009, but just don't like it nearly as much as when we first moved here. The population has gone up and the traffic, not as bad as some other cities, but (to us) still bad. We want to move to a much smaller population with definitely less crime. If we go back to Colorado, it will be in the northern area of the Front Range/Eastern Slope. We miss a number of things that we loved to do and see, for the 5 1/2 years we lived south of Denver. When we move, we will be in early 70's and both retired.

So, what I'm wondering about is, when folks move to anywhere in Florida, but end up not liking it, where do they move to?

Just curious.

BTW, like any other city/state, not everyone that moves to it, ends up loving it forever.

My family has generations of family in Florida on my mom side, all the way back to the establishment of Florida. My dad is from SC originally. I grew up in north central florida born an raised for 22 years. Lack of jobs and desiring a career is what finally pushed me out of Florida. I headed to the midwest after finding a love and friend. That turned into a mistake. I ended up married and divorced and child support. I did over time develope a career and went to college. I could of done those things in florida. However my older brother left Florida as well for same reason of no jobs and no careers. He packed up his family and moved to New Hampshire.

Real paying jobs to live comfortable as a blue colar has always lacked in the North Central Florida area. Especially near the UF. I now live near St Louis. Yes one of the most dangerous cities in America. I hate the winters here however. I know I could never make the money I do now in north central college town Florida.

I want to be honest. I liked the Midwest when I first got here. Fast forward 16 years later. Southern IL and St Louis, MO area sucks. We don't have winter here. We have Ice. I can't stand it! STL people are very rude. Not to mention STL is one of the top murder cities. Not much to do here. Corn on the Illinois side as far as your eye can see. Meaning hundreds of miles. Between Chicago and St Louis is nothing but Corn and Soy Beans. People loose their minds up here because a guarunteed 5 months out of the year it is cold as Fuuhhh. It gets just as hot as FL here. Food wise if your not living near the city. Expect to eat at all of the commercial food chain resturants. If you like the outdoors its really flat and I did mention corn. We have plenty of Beer here Budwiser STL being the home town of Beer. Their is a micro brewery on every corner. The pay is good. Mixed with a bunch of people who say they love MLB Cardinals. Which is BS when you leave the statium your drunk and spent a quarter of your pay check on beer.Its borning..... You can only go to so many baseball games, zoo and city museum so many times. Once you done those things. You can stick a fork in it, your done.

Once I get the opportunity. I am leaving the city back to the beaches and warmer weather. Or turn in my retirement for a log home on the blue ridge mountains in NC. Out of all of the beautiful states I choose the worst one. In the middle sucks. You have to drive four to eight hours in east, NE and SE direction to get anywhere good. Don't get me wrong I have met some interesting people and had good times and bad times. You would find that anywhere. It is time for me to leave the midwest and trade up for somewhere beautiful. The money is decent here. But I wouldent recomend raising a family or living here.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:18 PM

471 posts, read 541,274 times
If/when I get tired of Florida (and retired) - I'm going to shoot for something outside the box since I can't think of anywhere else left within the US I'd want to go that's not cold. Think South America, Europe, or Southeast Asia.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 AM

One thing for sure, we all have to live somewhere where we can get a descent hourly or salary wage for the experience and education we have. That doesn't always mean where we chose to live for a job will be a place we really like and want to live forever.

My teen years were brought up on a small hog farm in northeastern Indiana with step-parents. Spring and summer months weren't too bad, but winters, very different story. Getting up at 5:30AM to feed/water hogs in freezing temps and inches-to-feet of snow, before getting on a bus to go to school........not much fun. Step-dad helped out, but he had his own problems getting the car from the garage, which was across from the barn, thru the snow and down the drive to the house. I never forgot those years and swore I'd never live in "Old Man Winter" again, but, turned out that So California wasn't necessarily my "cup of tea" either. Decided to stay there after getting out of the Navy in Long Beach.

Had to push myself into staying in So Cal for a number of years, until I met and married my wife. Her plans were to leave her immediate family there and move to Laughlin, NV.. Her and them had moved to So Cal years before to escape southeastern Michigan winters. When I brought up to her that I had seriously thought about moving to Colorado, she instantly said "yes". I was already involved in pro-rodeo, but had to sell my roping horse. Even though the horse was gone, I'd help out in the arena, working with Stock Contractors at local rodeo's. Come to find out, dear wife loved rodeo.

So, just what drew us to Jacksonville? Basically, the boating. The St Johns River and Intracoastal waterways. We had a boat in Colorado and, during the summer months, had it on two local lakes/reservoirs, almost every weekend. It was a small 4-cylinder, 16' Bowrider, but was perfect for us. Obviously, what we didn't think about, when moving here, was what brackish and saltwater can do to a boat engine and outdrive. Didn't have to worry about that in Colorado.

For us, parts of northeastern Colorado, and into Wyoming, are simply better for us than here. We have come to realize just how much we miss the "Western" stuff, that we don't have here and lake boating/fishing.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:11 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,912,758 times
Left Florida in July after 34 years... Moved to the Carolinas. Not a day goes by here we think "geez I miss Florida". We are suppose to go down in April for a wedding and we're debating if we even want to. Don't even have the desire to visit it to be honest. My daughter is begging us to just stay here and skip it

Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Left Florida in July after 34 years... Moved to the Carolinas. Not a day goes by here we think "geez I miss Florida". We are suppose to go down in April for a wedding and we're debating if we even want to. Don't even have the desire to visit it to be honest. My daughter is begging us to just stay here and skip it
Once we leave here, we won't return. No reason to. Wife's brother (my BIL) left Florida (Baca Raton) this past Sept. He definitely won't be back. He lived in Florida longer than we have, but told us "Florida is just too expensive, especially to live in a decently safe area."

Old 12-15-2017, 01:44 PM

526 posts, read 257,008 times
Born in Cocoa Beach and lived in Orlando, Gainesville, Homestead, Miami, and Key Largo as well as 6 other states and Germany. Absolutely loved Florida life until about 10 years ago. The traffic, crowds, cost of living, and overall stress finally became too much. Sold the house, packed up the car, and drove cross country to eastern Washington. We're going on our second winter here and absolutely love it. Agree with Sweetbottoms - if it weren't for relatives, we'd probably never set foot in Florida again. Loved what it was, not what it's become. BTW, our homeowner's insurance premium is literally 1/10 of what it was in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida