Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:06 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Central Florida and moved to Alabama. I moved for a job, but what even got me looking out of state was the lower cost of living. It has worked out great for us and my wife (also from CFla) and I are now raising our children in Alabama.

Two of my siblings have also left FL. My sister married a guy from GA, so they live there. My brother went to graduate school in MS and he found a job (and a wife) in GA as well, so that's where he is.

Florida just doesnt have a lot of opportunities for young families just starting out. At least that was my experience.

My youngest sister is still in FL, but she's still in college, so who knows where she will end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 08:37 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
If I left Florida, I would go right back to the Northeast, period. I have a preference for Yankee mentality and lifestyle. Society in the northeast in general is leagues above the South, in terms of education, well being, etc. Crime is very concentrated to a few cities here and there. But in Florida, it's very spotty all over the place. People up north cared about the appearance of their homes, their lawns, etc. In FL, I see so many overgrown lawns, houses that need repair/updating, etc. It's pathetic. It seems like there are more smarter, sane people up north, too. Down here in FL I am appalled at the amount of sex offenders, drugs, crime, riff raff, etc. It is almost like a third world country in many neighborhoods. I mean, LOTS of neighborhoods.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
If I left Florida, I would go right back to the Northeast, period. I have a preference for Yankee mentality and lifestyle. Society in the northeast in general is leagues above the South, in terms of education, well being, etc. Crime is very concentrated to a few cities here and there. But in Florida, it's very spotty all over the place. People up north cared about the appearance of their homes, their lawns, etc. In FL, I see so many overgrown lawns, houses that need repair/updating, etc. It's pathetic. It seems like there are more smarter, sane people up north, too. Down here in FL I am appalled at the amount of sex offenders, drugs, crime, riff raff, etc. It is almost like a third world country in many neighborhoods. I mean, LOTS of neighborhoods.
more Florida bashing.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:48 PM

676 posts, read 720,468 times
I am just amazed at how many people just hate Florida. Since I joined this site, I read over and over again how people can't wait to get out.

Is it really that horrible to live?

Old 12-25-2017, 04:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I am just amazed at how many people just hate Florida. Since I joined this site, I read over and over again how people can't wait to get out.

misery follows them around is my theory

Old 12-25-2017, 10:58 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wait? You moved?! If I remember correctly you were considering Ohio at one point? I thought you decided to stay in CT?

Old 12-26-2017, 05:33 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times
Sort of said that people that move south for a change in life style tend to relocate to areas full of people like they were leaving and now hate where they are so much they want to return to an area that's probably in worse shape than it was when they lived there . Problem is most of the people across Florida's more developed areas are from the same places they moved away from !! THE NORTH . Many of the second , third and fourth generation Floridian's moved to the more rural area's of florida or to the Georgia mountains and NC mountains over the last 25 years . So don't like the florida you picked to live in ? Blame the transplants like your self !!

Old 12-26-2017, 06:48 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post

Much more so than elsewhere people don't perform due diligence when moving to Florida apparently. There are a number of preconceived notions about living here that seemingly go un-investigated which includes most notably that it's cheap to live here, that jobs are plentiful and it doesn't get cold much at all. For those that know better despite the lack of taxes, incomes don't go any further than most areas of the country since they're most often much lower and other costs such as inflated auto/home insurance rates eat into the net income. Jobs are fairly plentiful but again in most instances pay well below other more costly areas to live in and much of the new job creation involves part-time and no benefits. Then of course there's the weather aspect for those who exclaim they won't have to shovel snow after those three or four snowfalls per year, however Florida's 85+ degree heat and humidity for 8 to 9 months isn't what most envisioned.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:57 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Much more so than elsewhere people don't perform due diligence when moving to Florida apparently. There are a number of preconceived notions about living here that seemingly go un-investigated which includes most notably that it's cheap to live here, that jobs are plentiful and it doesn't get cold much at all. For those that know better despite the lack of taxes, incomes don't go any further than most areas of the country since they're most often much lower and other costs such as inflated auto/home insurance rates eat into the net income. Jobs are fairly plentiful but again in most instances pay well below other more costly areas to live in and much of the new job creation involves part-time and no benefits. Then of course there's the weather aspect for those who exclaim they won't have to shovel snow after those three or four snowfalls per year, however Florida's 85+ degree heat and humidity for 8 to 9 months isn't what most envisioned.
And you forgot to mention the high property taxes and general cost of food, electricity, water/sewer is a solid 20% higher than even the SE states. Florida overall is no bargain and it's expensive to be a resident.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:13 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
It seems to me that a lot of Florida Natives end up moving to Georgia when they get tired of the traffic and all the people moving down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida