Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
S Florida has changed alot we left in 2013...my parents are snowbirds and always say how much its changed too
In what ways South Florida change I lower it since 2006 that when construction boom starts atleast for Miami. The city took off in 2012 and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
adapting means staying put and accepting (adapting to) the growth, congestion.....avoidance means moving/getting the hell out of Dodge to somewhere more pleasing
Totally agree with “getting out of Dodge and going somewhere more pleasing.”👍👍

Old 04-04-2018, 01:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
adapting means staying put and accepting (adapting to) the growth, congestion.....avoidance means moving/getting the hell out of Dodge to somewhere more pleasing
Well adapting can mean adapting to the way life goes, and that can include moving to a place you find more pleasing.

I grew up in So Ca near the beach. I would never move back as it is too expensive, too crowded, to taxed and wayyy too hectic. I adapted to life by ...... moving. Yes adapting can mean adjusting to the way things go in a given area and many do that, but not me.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM

21 posts, read 19,893 times
Default My 2 cents

I want to comment on the original post of 1000 people moving to FL a day. I wonder about the accuracy of these numbers. It also doesn’t factor in people moving out and the high death rate from the elderly population. I think it evens out to a slight net gain in population. I think Florida’s whole existence is in jeopardy due to rising sea levels. Endless growth isn’t sustainable. I live in Jacksonville and moved here from Atlanta for my fiancée and a better job. Granted I’m not a native, I’m at least from a neighboring state. A lot of the state is beautiful, but sadly it’s overdeveloped. Almost every inch of the 500 miles on The Atlantic Coast is developed. Other than a few parks and preserves. Looking at So FL, do you really think there were meant to be endless high rise condos right on the beach (not to mention the ground is former swampland and made of limestone). We’re taking millions of tons of structures all up and down the coast. You’d be ignorant not to think that it’ll all one day sink or get flooded by rising sea levels. It’s sad the state government never did anything to slow development. You look at the Georgia Coast and it’s all been preserved by the state or US government. No surprise people don’t really think of going there unless it’s St Simon’s or Tybee. I wish FL well, but it won’t last. I can’t say I’ll stay here forever.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 AM

370 posts, read 325,627 times
^ Al Gore says hello.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Well, after reading the last fairly long reply, I have a tendency to at least somewhat agree.

St. John’s County is preparing to build up for, what they think, will be a major influx of people moving in. Appears that parts of Jacksonville is doing the same thing.

By the time all of this is built and the influx happens, we will be long gone, and living, in a Rocky Mountain State.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:26 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmoney View Post
I want to comment on the original post of 1000 people moving to FL a day. I wonder about the accuracy of these numbers. It also doesn’t factor in people moving out and the high death rate from the elderly population. I think it evens out to a slight net gain in population. I think Florida’s whole existence is in jeopardy due to rising sea levels. Endless growth isn’t sustainable. I live in Jacksonville and moved here from Atlanta for my fiancée and a better job. Granted I’m not a native, I’m at least from a neighboring state. A lot of the state is beautiful, but sadly it’s overdeveloped. Almost every inch of the 500 miles on The Atlantic Coast is developed. Other than a few parks and preserves. Looking at So FL, do you really think there were meant to be endless high rise condos right on the beach (not to mention the ground is former swampland and made of limestone). We’re taking millions of tons of structures all up and down the coast. You’d be ignorant not to think that it’ll all one day sink or get flooded by rising sea levels. It’s sad the state government never did anything to slow development. You look at the Georgia Coast and it’s all been preserved by the state or US government. No surprise people don’t really think of going there unless it’s St Simon’s or Tybee. I wish FL well, but it won’t last. I can’t say I’ll stay here forever.
Florida's population has grown an average of 840 people a day from 2010 to 2017. That is growth. It includes death, birth, moving in or out.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:04 PM

Problem is, large growth isn’t always good.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:44 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Population growth is a fact of life. We either adapt or remain frustrated and ... it won't change.

Florida's horrendous population growth is far from what I would call a "fact of life". It's more of an aberration.
I know other states have had somewhat larger percentages of growth, but the sheer number of people moving here is astonishing. I honestly don't get the attraction to what brings them here but God bless them...I hope they find what they're looking for. Personally, after 50+ years I've done all the adapting I care to do.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Florida's horrendous population growth is far from what I would call a "fact of life". It's more of an aberration.
I know other states have had somewhat larger percentages of growth, but the sheer number of people moving here is astonishing. I honestly don't get the attraction to what brings them here but God bless them...I hope they find what they're looking for. Personally, after 50+ years I've done all the adapting I care to do.
Unfortunately the only constant in life is change. FL is growing because people want to live in FL. FL is the third most populous State. FL and every other place in the world is different than it was 50 years ago. There is no going back and nothing stands still. Adapt to the changes or move to where the changes are less or slower than here, but even then, where you move will keep changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida