Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:34 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPastParalysis View Post
Obviously, this thread is not for those who hate Florida. I want to get out of Long Island NY and was reluctant to go to constant heat but, being in a wheelchair it beats the snow. I just don’t know of enough walkable, safe crime wise and (much more) affordable areas. I’m not much of a party person but would like parks, restaurants and beaches not too far. I have family scattered around the state which is another reason I’m even considering it. Some family is in Brevard County but, at least from what people I’ve talked to said, it isn’t very walkable. Would be nice to be that close to Disney though.

I apologize if I’m a bit all over the place in my posts. My search was much more broad when I first was toying with the idea of moving. I’d love to be sold on the idea of Florida.
If you have to be convinced to move to an area, that is a clear sign you shouldn't move lol, just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 PM

31 posts, read 38,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you have to be convinced to move to an area, that is a clear sign you shouldn't move lol, just saying.
I guess “convince me that Florida is more walkable and wheelchair friendly than it seems” felt too long. People have already made me feel better about it.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:19 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
I guess “convince me that Florida is more walkable and wheelchair friendly than it seems” felt too long. People have already made me feel better about it.
Spent a week in Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale or Fort Meyers

Old 12-26-2017, 11:27 PM

31 posts, read 38,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveTimer View Post
Education is the best in the country. Florida has no crime at all. Humidity is very low. It's like heaven on earth.
Did I mention I was also fluent in sarcasm? lol

Old 12-27-2017, 08:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I would spend some time here first, especially in summer. I am afraid your budget is unrealistically low for any decent area. That said, look at Lakeland - there is a nice downtown, better bus system (including for handicapped) than usual for Florida, and has more "walkable" areas in and near the downtown. Lots of beautiful lakes there (and parks) all free for public use.

There will be no coastal cities with anything near your budget.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:22 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Republicans like The Villages. Democrats aren’t particularly welcome there though.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Rainy season is June through September. Heavy T-storms with extreme downpours and deadly lightning. It's unsafe to be outdoors during such lightning. Nearly every day has a chance of these storms during rainy season.

Florida has the highest death rate for lightning strikes. You wouldn't want to be outdoors on a sidewalk, in a wheelchair, during such storm. However, the storms are generally in the afternoon. You would want to plan your summer outdoor activity for morning.

Regardless of the T-storms, the sweat from the heat and humidity can be terrible. It's not just that you get a bit sweaty. You can be drenched - all your clothing soaking wet from sweat where you can wring it out. You could sweat and have soaking wet clothing every single day all summer long if you are outdoors for longer than 30 minutes at a time.

http://weatherplus.blog.mypalmbeachp...eshing-deadly/

https://www.tripsavvy.com/lightning-...lorida-1513642

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/ne...ikes/12279067/

Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Obviously, this thread is not for those who hate Florida. I want to get out of Long Island NY and was reluctant to go to constant heat but, being in a wheelchair it beats the snow. I just don’t know of enough walkable, safe crime wise and (much more) affordable areas. I’m not much of a party person but would like parks, restaurants and beaches not too far. I have family scattered around the state which is another reason I’m even considering it. Some family is in Brevard County but, at least from what people I’ve talked to said, it isn’t very walkable. Would be nice to be that close to Disney though.

I apologize if I’m a bit all over the place in my posts. My search was much more broad when I first was toying with the idea of moving. I’d love to be sold on the idea of Florida.
Move to St Pete and enjoy the warm weather and the beaches
https://www.google.ca/search?q=St+Pe...h=491&dpr=1.75

Old 12-27-2017, 10:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:

My budget if I’m alone would be $600ish for an apartment/house. If I move with family first, it’ll be closer to $1,200 per month, for 2 or 3 bedrooms.
There are high end condos with monthly hoa fees of $400-600/month.

Sorry but that budget won't get you right next to Disney or anywhere coastal

Old 12-27-2017, 10:57 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
with your budget South Florida is off your list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida