Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:32 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It actually looks quite similar... google Newport Beach 1970, the demographics are also similar aka older, mostly white.

I wouldn't want to live in NSB because of its size, but if I was looking for a small beach town, I'd look at Delray Beach.

I agree NSB will never become what Newport Beach is now, but I think that's what the OP wants... he/she doesn't want what Newport Beach currently is, I'm assuming.
Delray Beach is too expensive, but it has a nice downtown mostly turning into upscale dining. I know that area quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
True. I landed a decent role on the edge of Orlando (airport area) that gives me a reasonable commute to the east coast. I don't want to consider the circumstances that would drive me to live in Orlando, but circumstances mostly work for me. You're right though. If an alternative is ever required, I may not like it.

There do seem to be some good technology jobs thanks to the Cape activity, but I'm in IT and the clearance requirements I typically see for those are not interesting to me, but could be okay for others. The port is also getting some growth and that could be good.
Florida had/has the potential to be better for jobs, but the mentality that exists there with most employers say's otherwise. I have not seen the same culture or attitude in CA at all, seems most employers here will bend over backwards for people, giving them what they want/desire whether their job performance warrants it or not.

Fact is we never would have left if things improved, but like many i just saw myself wasting away and not reaching full potential or personal goals. Stagnation was it, since I left my last employer there 4 to 5 others have followed me by leaving and the company has had severe turnover. The market is good now, might be the reason but in my field there isnt' really much opportunity to jump ship there besides leaving the state all together.

The amount of real estate for sale in FL right now is shocking, my Wife use to live in Bradenton/Sarasota before we met years ago and she showed me her old house there and surrounding area, plethora of inventory and also in Palm Beach County, not the same here in San Diego County at all. Kinda scary if you ask me.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:43 PM

17,309 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPastParalysis View Post

My budget if I’m alone would be $600ish for an apartment/house. If I move with family first, it’ll be closer to $1,200 per month, for 2 or 3 bedrooms.
This price point is going to be a major stumbling block for you and your family........

Old 12-29-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
When people want start their life over they choose Florida or West Coast states
Florida is a sunny place........for shady people!

I do like this video to on people moving to FL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Florida is a sunny place........for shady people!

I do like this video to on people moving to FL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg
Yes, indeed it is. I knew/know lots of shady people back in SoFla.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't want to live in NSB because of its size, but if I was looking for a small beach town, I'd look at Delray Beach.
At the OP's rental price point he would be in a neighborhood where he would be robbed of his wheelchair in broad daylight!

Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Delray Beach is too expensive, but it has a nice downtown mostly turning into upscale dining. I know that area quite well.
Still cheap compared to San Diego though

Old 12-29-2017, 04:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
If that area ever turns into Newport Beach, that will be the day hell freezes over.
It never will, but it is a LOT like Newport Beach in the late 60's and early 70's. I know I was there in OC and graduated from Newport Harbor High.

Newport Beach had rich and famous people then, but in general it did not mean that much to them or the rest of us. It was laid back and friendly and what you wore or what car you drove was meaningless. Just a nice beach community. I doubt NSB will ever become the mess NB is now.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
It actually looks quite similar... google Newport Beach 1970, the demographics are also similar aka older, mostly white.

I agree NSB will never become what Newport Beach is now, but I think that's what the OP wants... he/she doesn't want what Newport Beach currently is, I'm assuming.
You are correct. I will rarely be in Orlando. NSB has great beaches, is not crowded, mild traffic, enough restaurants and easy access to the shopping areas of Port Orange and Daytona, yet far enough away to avoid their problems. I am in NSB now to check on my home construction.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Air quality is improving, nothing like it was in the past. Which is a good thing, but it can be better.

Regardless what people say on life here in SoCal, I don't see people hurting, leaving or complaining about money here, noboby ever complains, people are popping out babies at work, spending $ like there is not tomorrow.

I personally don't care for Oceanside myself, crime is still a problem in parts, gang activity and just the way it is in general, a little too rough around the edges for me.

All of my comparisons are based on life in SoFla, Central FL and other parts are not one in the same for the demographic, culture, and amenities. The cultural center of Central FL is Orlando, not really the safest place and the tourism level is way too much with all the sprawl. One thing I like about things here, no Billboards along the road, natural areas are protected, no adult book stores and eyesore boiled peanuts and etc that clutters the roadway.

Problem with other areas fo FL is the job market is often worse than SoFla, unless you find something in Jax, Orlando or Tampa, often though salaries are still subpar in those lower cost of living areas for many with little room for alternatives if you want to jump ship.
Air quality is better than it was in the past, and I know I grew up in SoCal and have lived there for 55 years. However bit is still bad. Check airnow.gov every day for a while and you will see the difference. Note yellow is not viewed as bad and it is if it is like that day after day after day after day after .... well that is SoCal. Green in the middle range is good and even at the upper green level say 48 or 49 it ain't good. The yellow would be like having a mild headache in the morning. No big deal if once a month. However if day after day after day, you have a bad problem. Same with the air and especially for children and older folk like me.

Everybody complains about the costs in SoCal and the pay is low for the costs they must pay. Birth rate is down as well. Yes So FL is not good and is a lot like LA. I would not live in either. I and my wife have spent years looking to move and I have been in SoCal many times and have business there. If I had a real choice I would move back to OC, probably San Clemente or Aliso Viejo or maybe Dana Point.

Work is not an issue for me, I can pay cash for a home in either State and have a nice income and part of it comes from Royalties that grow each year, for unique technology I have created.

We finally settled on NSB as it has most of what we want and after living in several Southern States I can handle the humidity just fine. If you enjoy SoCal, good for you. If you can afford it, even better for you. Nowhere is Paradise, so we each must decide what is best for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida