Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The cost of living has climbed since the hurricanes of 2004. Kissimmee is being overpopulated and the schools are so crowded now that they have to go to class in trailers. Unquote//

That isn't unusual or a "Florida" thing. Many schools use trailers for a few of their classes instead of building expensive additions to their school. It has no adverse affect on the students and they're actually quite comfy classrooms. It's one way of keeping our school taxes down just a bit.
Portal classrooms have been in use in Florida even when we lived in Coral Springs and my kids went there in the 80s, this is not new.

The reason money is tight for Florida schools is that those that would vote for increases in taxes for schools don't vote.

Florida voter turnout: http://election.dos.state.fl.us/elec...ive/enight.asp

Every county with more than 50% turnout is a county in Florida with a very high density of senior citizens. Do you think those on a fixed income would vote to increase school taxes? I don't think so. Miami-Dade, Orange, and Broward counties have very low voter turnover but get most of the school tax dollars due to the school population in those Counties. Miami-Dade, our largest populated County, had a 37% voter turnout in November! Orange County was not much better at 39%, Osceola County at 35.6%, Lake and Seminole Counties were at 49%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingFloridaForever View Post
Too many cars on the roads and the drivers are now so rude and honking horns if the light changes one second and you're not moving fast enough through the intersection.
I just read your post and while I have a bunch of stuff I could say back, I'm only going to say what my husband does about these drivers who live by the "hurry up and wait" principle.

Should someone DARE to honk their horn because he didn't move fast enough.... he puts the truck in "P", s l o w l y gets out, goes to the front and puts the hood up. Then he gets ready for when the light will change again, gets back in slowly enough so that the honking guy will still stay stuck for another light.
I don't recommend this strategy. I think one day he'll meet his match. Unfortunately, he doesn't have life insurance so I'm always fighting him about his attitude, but those honkers..... personally I just move very slowly and keep them crawling behind me.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I just read your post and while I have a bunch of stuff I could say back, I'm only going to say what my husband does about these drivers who live by the "hurry up and wait" principle.

Should someone DARE to honk their horn because he didn't move fast enough.... he puts the truck in "P", s l o w l y gets out, goes to the front and puts the hood up. Then he gets ready for when the light will change again, gets back in slowly enough so that the honking guy will still stay stuck for another light.
I don't recommend this strategy. I think one day he'll meet his match. Unfortunately, he doesn't have life insurance so I'm always fighting him about his attitude, but those honkers..... personally I just move very slowly and keep them crawling behind me.
Just to play devils advocate for a minute. There can be a lot of traffic at certain times of the day and people are all trying to get where they have to be whether it is work or the bank, what ever. You can end up sitting through several lights just to get through an intersection because people don't pay the least attention to their driving. They are on their cell phones, playing with the radio or just plain day dreaming. They sit there like they are the only people on the road with no consideration.

They sit in the right hand lane and go straight while half a dozen cars could have made a right turn on the red because nothing was coming. I could go on but you get my point. I was at the bank drive through yesterday behind a woman waiting. It must have been more then two minutes before she pulled out. I never saw her do anything, her transaction was long over as she just sat there on the phone talking and not even putting the car in gear.

It doesn't take long driving around south Florida till you discover your horn to move along some of these idiots. And yes, people who just doodle along because they have nothing better to do as other are trying to get their work done and have places to be are annoying.

Moderator cut: not the statement for this type of forum

Last edited by macguy; 01-09-2007 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Just to play devils advocate for a minute. There can be a lot of traffic at certain times of the day and people are all trying got get where they have to be whether it is work or the bank, what ever. You can end up sitting through several lights just to get through an intersection because people don't pay the least attention to their driving. They are on their cell phones, playing with the radio or just plain day dreaming. They sit there like they are the only people on the road with no consideration.

They sit in the right hand lane and go straight while half a dozen cars could have made a right turn in the red because nothing was coming. I could go on but you get my point. I was at the bank drive through yesterday behind a woman waiting. It must have been more then two minutes before she pulled out. I never saw her do anything, her transaction was long over as she just sat there on the phone talking and not even putting the car in gear.

It doesn't take long driving around south Florida till you discover your horn to move along some of these idiots. And yes, people who just doodle along because they have nothing better to do as other are trying to get their work done and have places to be are annoying.

Moderator cut: not the statement for this type of forum
Macguy -- I agree with you. I did say I didn't recommend doing what he does and that he doesn't have life insurance (which would be bad for me :-)) but he can be an idiot about a lot of things. Many times I don't want to be in the same vehicle as he.
I realize there are elderly drivers who need a little compassion, you have people who may be lost and trying to figure out which way to go, you have those who really want to do 30 in a 30 mph zone. Some people couldn't get in the "proper" lane because of the lack of courtesy so they get stuck and affect someone else. That's all ok. But if I have somebody rushing me when I am not talking on the cell phone, putting on my makeup, just drinking my coffee, etc. (j/k I don't do that), they are not going to go any faster because they honk.
And yeah, I hate those people who block the intersections and are just plain ignorant and oblivious to everyone else. And those people who just barely miss your tail when they can finally go around the "safe" driver that was obeying the speed limit. Sometimes I just don't understand but nobody is going to force me into their hysteria if I'm doing my part correctly.
Also, there is a nice friendly way to honk and then there's a HHHOOOONNNNKKKKK.

You know there was a time when honking at someone or blinking lights was a death sentence.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,224 times
Im planing to move to florida soon ... I see a lot of people complaining about taxes ... I pay $9400 in taxes for a single family house n 700 for insurance so its over 10k just insurance n taxes ... its a 1200sq ft house ...not even a big house.. my house its paid off n i still have to pay $841 every month... the school rate here is 2 3 max... n we still gotta stay in the cold negative weather.... I live in hillside nj n SUCKS DURING WINTER TIME

Old 01-14-2014, 05:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2013 View Post
Im planing to move to florida soon ... I see a lot of people complaining about taxes ... I pay $9400 in taxes for a single family house n 700 for insurance so its over 10k just insurance n taxes ... its a 1200sq ft house ...not even a big house.. my house its paid off n i still have to pay $841 every month... the school rate here is 2 3 max... n we still gotta stay in the cold negative weather.... I live in hillside nj n SUCKS DURING WINTER TIME

My property tax this year was just over $600. $642 I think. My insurance was less than 1100.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM

111 posts, read 148,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Why would you go from one bad area to another ? I would never move to New York its great to visit but so is Disney but I don't want to live there.
where you are at? also gas is 4 bucks

Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Default ...

New jersey is good during the summer only...n ny gas its $3,20 now

Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM

I didnt realized that this forum wasfrom 2007 lolol im looking to go to fort meyers or Deerfield Beach anyone on that area??

Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2013 View Post
I didnt realized that this forum wasfrom 2007 lolol im looking to go to fort meyers or Deerfield Beach anyone on that area??

No to Fort Myers. Too much crime as reported by many here and on public records in my opinion.
Any info on this thread has not been updated so it is pretty much useless at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida