U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:19 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,257,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
You can't take everything you read seriously. Some people just like to complain.
If you have questions about the area, pm me.
And some people write glowing reports about the situation and, lo and behold, their homepage is a real estate investment firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 03:32 PM

628 posts, read 1,674,749 times
Definitely a love hate thing about FLA. You either love it and will enjoy what it has to offer even as it evolves from what you knew it as when you first lived here or you will hate it and find yourself complaining at every opportunity.

Sure even in the last 5 years itís changed Ė Its changed a lot but so has the rest of the country, and so will the place that those who leave Fla go to like TN.

Trying to stop change anywhere is like trying to stop a train headed straight for you at 60 mph. Those who donít like it here have probably been hit by that train.

PS My insurance bill on a 4/3/2 3000 sq ft home is 2200.00 NW Hillsborough - no flood - great coverage new - home

Old 12-10-2006, 03:38 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,736,707 times
Exclamation Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And some people write glowing reports about the situation and, lo and behold, their homepage is a real estate investment firm.
Yessss-hiknapster- I notice some old posts glowingly recommended Ft Lauderdale- they were later banned---- lol---THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE WITH AN AXE TO GRIND/SLEAZY REALTORS.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 PM

800 posts, read 2,807,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

And I am making money in real estate which indicates that people are buying homes. You can't sell if people don't buy. I should point out that I have only sold real estate 1 of the 20 years that I have lived here in Florida. Would you prefer that I add my mortgage broker home page instead? Or my University home page?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,904,738 times
Fla's great! Come on down!

Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 PM

89 posts, read 255,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent3278 View Post
I keep reading on this forum on how bad Florida is. I recently did a google search on "best job markets" and Tampa-StPete was #1 and Orlando was # 4 in the nation. I currently live in Indiana and my family and I are considering relocating to the Lakeland-Tampa area. In my city (Anderson, In) we have a horrible housing market, high unemployment(8 percent +), low paying jobs(if you can find one), horrible schools, and we have to face the rough winters. People are leaving this area in mass. There is no way that Florida can be that bad. Do you think that central Florida is a good place to live?
Hi, I have been living in Central Florida for 3 years now. I am originally from the Northeast. Everyone please keep in mind this is my opinion only, and not a discussion for argument

Florida is different then most of the country. You can get beautiful beaches; great weather most of the year, and homes that are unique in comparison to plain ranches and beautiful Victorians and colonials. It is the gateway for family entertainment; live shows, theme parks, etc... Most beautiful things are within 1 1/2 hours from most places in Central Florida.

Here are the down sides of Florida. Yes prices are high for a "NEW MODERN HOME" but you will find this everywhere that is desirable to live now. Florida is struggling with its growth right now, but I am sure it will come to pass sometime. Your question is can you live threw it?? Food and expenses are a lot higher than many other places; remember there is only one way in and one way out for most products delivered by tractor trailers. Cost to ship here is more Taxes are high if you are near water period out here!! This is something you adjust to in order to attain this type of luxury. You can choose to live away from water too and pay $600 bucks yearly like me for home owners insurance You will spend lots of gas in your vehicle, everything is far out here. So if you are use to living in a city or a town that everything is near. Be aware that traveling is a part of life here; at least in the suburb areas of FL. The summers are excruciating too...

Schools for children are very crowded and struggling. Many places are just the same throughout the US too. One thing you will find here at least if your child attends a newer school is that technology is up to date and aesthetically it is pretty too. You here many people complain here about education; even me because many of us complaining are northerners that are use to a different education system. This state was not equipped to handle the influx it has received at all, but as an educator myself they are trying to get it done! Therefore it is not Floridaís fault, get my drift...

Now as far as beauty and perfection you will see lots of it in upcoming towns like Melbourne, Clermont, many areas in Seminole County, etc... Otherwise you will come across many southern type of areas. They might not be appealing to some but remember this was a different place 10 to 15 years ago and the natives here liked it just the way it was to them it was fine.

Culture, there is lots of it in some areas in Central Florida, Southeast Florida, and I am sure many other areas to. Lets not forget though again it is the south and you will see many areas that are dominated by either African Americans or Caucasians, so don't be surprised by the drastic differences you will find all over the state.

I guess what I am trying to really say here is to live here you need to take the good with the bad, and be willing to adjust to a new way of life. So many people come here anticipating PARADISE and are highly disappointed when they realize that it is just another place on the map with different lifestyles and different amenities.

BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER... LOL

Although there are many things I love about here; there are things that I dislike too, and I have thought about going back north too. My husband has been offered separate opportunities to relocate, but I now know that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. When I think of going back north I think of the 4 seasons that I miss and the things that I was use to growing up, but sometimes I really don't want to leave here for all the beautiful reasons that I originally moved here. So don't exclude me from anything I am just trying to tell you how I see it. I miss the Northern lifestyle and this might just not be for me or maybe it will be You wonít know until you try it, never know you might just love it.

Good Luck

Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,904,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent3278 View Post
I keep reading on this forum on how bad Florida is. I recently did a google search on "best job markets" and Tampa-StPete was #1 and Orlando was # 4 in the nation. I currently live in Indiana and my family and I are considering relocating to the Lakeland-Tampa area. In my city (Anderson, In) we have a horrible housing market, high unemployment(8 percent +), low paying jobs(if you can find one), horrible schools, and we have to face the rough winters. People are leaving this area in mass. There is no way that Florida can be that bad. Do you think that central Florida is a good place to live?

No idea bout central Fla but I've owned several homes here ranging from Palmaire Village in western Ft Lauderdale, Loggers Run ( Indian Head ) in West Boca, to Paddock Park I, Wellington, to out of the country for a few years, back to Wayne Cnty Pa where I took that place for 3 months and then back to Fla, this time on the west coast, Port Charlotte and Fla is just a great place.

It's gotten more expensive just as any popular place does, but there's plenty of affordable areas and homes here. Remember to stock up on short pants! Tough act to follow.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:52 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,866,612 times
sunsky
What a well thought out and well written post.
It's true, Florida is not a fantasy paradise, you have to take the bad with the good, and its rewards are in the eye of the beholder.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,858 times
Default Reply to FL can't be that bad!

Yes it can. I've lived in FL near Tampa for 20 yrs now and my family is planning a move OUT of state soon. Job wages are not keeping up with housing costs, property taxes are sky high and homeowner's insurance has gone from $1200 per year to $2800 in just one year -- and the rates may double soon. Look elsewhere to live. Best advise you're going to get!

Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,976,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Sally View Post
Yes it can. I've lived in FL near Tampa for 20 yrs now and my family is planning a move OUT of state soon. Job wages are not keeping up with housing costs, property taxes are sky high and homeowner's insurance has gone from $1200 per year to $2800 in just one year -- and the rates may double soon. Look elsewhere to live. Best advise you're going to get!

Join the thousands everyday that leave. I dont hate Florida, I just cant and wont afford it. If you are rich, youll like Florida. For us middle class, we cant afford any of those houses, what kind of life is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or