Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:32 AM

20 posts, read 50,911 times

Advertisements

I keep reading on this forum on how bad Florida is. I recently did a google search on "best job markets" and Tampa-StPete was #1 and Orlando was # 4 in the nation. I currently live in Indiana and my family and I are considering relocating to the Lakeland-Tampa area. In my city (Anderson, In) we have a horrible housing market, high unemployment(8 percent +), low paying jobs(if you can find one), horrible schools, and we have to face the rough winters. People are leaving this area in mass. There is no way that Florida can be that bad. Do you think that central Florida is a good place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 AM

88 posts, read 97,866 times
As far as I've heard, jobs are not the problem. It's the oppressive heat/humidity, overcrowding, skyrocketing, ridiculous home owning and insurance prices, and the hurricanes. I would rather deal with a bad winter then move to Florida and pay $10,000 a month on my house (hey, it could go up that high, lol!)

Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
As far as I've heard, jobs are not the problem. It's the oppressive heat/humidity, overcrowding, skyrocketing, ridiculous home owning and insurance prices, and the hurricanes. I would rather deal with a bad winter then move to Florida and pay $10,000 a month on my house (hey, it could go up that high, lol!)
$10,000 a month on your house?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
$10,000 a month on your house?

I have a neighboor paying $20k on his house in property taxes plus another $10k+ in insurance. Lots of people pay over $10k a year in expenses to own the house

Old 12-10-2006, 11:08 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I have a neighboor paying $20k on his house in property taxes plus another $10k+ in insurance. Lots of people pay over $10k a year in expenses to own the house
He said a month

=============

Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 AM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,628 times
It's all relative. Central Florida is going through "growing pains" because it is growing too fast. Growing pains include overcrowded schools, roads that don't keep up with traffic - gridlock, and less of a sense of community (people move in and our very fast).

The jobs that are being created are TYPICALLY lower paying, service industry (tourism) jobs. The I-4 corridor is trying to be a high-tech mecca, but honestly, there are other areas in the country of comparable size where it's easier to find a high-paying job (DFW metro area comes to mind).

You may suffer through a bad winter, but I'll bet the spring, summer, and fall aren't so oppresively hot and humid. Winter IS very nice in Orlando/Central Florida, the remaining 8-9 months out of the year is very sticky and downright oppresively hot. I guess it depends on you and what you can handle.

I think if Central Florida had not grown so fast, and without obvious planning (most housing developments are built and the schools/roads are an afterthough), I don't think it would have turned into the mess that it is currently. I'm sure Central Florida will continue to change and will probably be totally different than it is today in 10 years. Who knows if it will get better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gent3278 View Post
I keep reading on this forum on how bad Florida is. I recently did a google search on "best job markets" and Tampa-StPete was #1 and Orlando was # 4 in the nation. I currently live in Indiana and my family and I are considering relocating to the Lakeland-Tampa area. In my city (Anderson, In) we have a horrible housing market, high unemployment(8 percent +), low paying jobs(if you can find one), horrible schools, and we have to face the rough winters. People are leaving this area in mass. There is no way that Florida can be that bad. Do you think that central Florida is a good place to live?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
I just received the closing papers on my house I am selling in Tampa and the new owner's property insurance is only $1475 on a $300,000 house. I only paid between $12-1300 a year owing it the last three years. I do not understand why everyone is saying the insurance is so high, if you shop around and do not live on the ocean (I lived across the street from the Hillsborough River) you will not have a problem affording the insurance.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:43 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Default good luck-

Quote:

ahh- but what type of jobs are they talking about?. Dont know about Tampa, but if you are looking at the Sun Sentinel for jobs, you will need alot of luck, and some divine intervention.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:29 PM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Quote:

You can't take everything you read seriously. Some people just like to complain.

I've been here nearly 20 years and love it. I have a 4/2 home on a lake with a pool, I pay about $2000 a year in taxes and $1200 for homeowners and $380 for flood insurance.

If you are paying $20K in taxes, you live in a house that is very large and very near the beach. Same goes with those paying $12K on insurance. If you live inland, your insurance is much less expensive.

Central Florida is where I call home and I would not consider moving elsewhere.

Tampa is a little congested. There are many great housing deals in the Lakeland area. Once you find employment, you can figure out what works for you housing wise.

Polk County has many 3/2 homes with a pool in the $200K range. So does Lakeland.

If you have questions about the area, pm me.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
In my city (Anderson, In) we have a horrible housing market, high unemployment(8 percent +), low paying jobs(if you can find one), horrible schools, and we have to face the rough winters.
Wrong. Florida has low paying jobs and horrible schools, too. What Anderson, Indiana has and Florida does not is AFFORDABLE HOUSING. Now, Florida does not have rough winters, but they do have rough summers!

You said that people are leaving en masse. I would think that would be a good indication that there is something severely wrong.

Now you have a house you can live in for free in Tennessee. I know I would love to have that option.

But you are clearly interested in Lakeland. There must be a reason for this. If it is what you REALLY want to do, then move to Lakeland. But yes, Florida is really that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida