Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:00 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,150,460 times

Advertisements

I was just reading the other day where China proposes to restrict the population of Shanghai, to avoid having it become a "toxic city".

Got me to thinking about Florida. Should Florida have a moratorium on development and restrict the overall number of residents in the state? Or do we just wait until we're pulling up brackish water through the pipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,324,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I was just reading the other day where China proposes to restrict the population of Shanghai, to avoid having it become a "toxic city".

Got me to thinking about Florida. Should Florida have a moratorium on development and restrict the overall number of residents in the state? Or do we just wait until we're pulling up brackish water through the pipes?
Humm, who gets to stay and who must leave and how do you decide?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Humm, who gets to stay and who must leave and how do you decide?
I dunno, at this point I'm just asking should we do it, or just let the current process take its course until Florida gets so bad it is undesirable, kind of like how California is becoming.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Believe me, at this rate, we'll get there well before CA does. All you have to do is elect democrats on a massive scale, and we're on track to do that.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Believe me, at this rate, we'll get there well before CA does. All you have to do is elect democrats on a massive scale, and we're on track to do that.
CA is there and is a one party State.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:44 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,830,821 times
NO, Florida is still a suburban sprawl, bring on more development and population!

Old 01-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I dunno, at this point I'm just asking should we do it, or just let the current process take its course until Florida gets so bad it is undesirable, kind of like how California is becoming.
The best way to control growth is zoning and do away with Apts, Condo's and similar. However once you do that where do the people who work in the service industry live?

You could do what CA has done and make it legal for about 4 times the reasonable number of people to live in an apt, house, etc.

It isn't going to change.

In CA the law changes for the number of people in an Apt/ house and the "open border" policy created millions of voters for the Dems, by birth baby citizens who grew up and voted for the same policies. Multi generational now. How is FL handling that?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The best way to control growth is zoning and do away with Apts, Condo's and similar. However once you do that where do the people who work in the service industry live?

You could do what CA has done and make it legal for about 4 times the reasonable number of people to live in an apt, house, etc.

It isn't going to change.

In CA the law changes for the number of people in an Apt/ house and the "open border" policy created millions of voters for the Dems, by birth baby citizens who grew up and voted for the same policies. Multi generational now. How is FL handling that?
There ya go! We make it legal for 4 times the reasonable # of people to live in an apt/house, whatever. That solves where the service workers live.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
NO, Florida is still a suburban sprawl, bring on more development and population!
Exactly! And bring those drilling rigs right up to the 3 mile limit, because we're going to need the energy resources to accommodate all that.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:13 PM

3,018 posts, read 1,698,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Why would you want more people and sprawl? Sarcasm? I'd say yes. Anyone who's here (legally) can stay, otherwise, no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida