Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
She is caring for her toddler grandson who has severe disabilities. You can see them manifest if you watch the video, she also says she wants to find a part time job while he goes to school.

Also if the US had helped them get their electrical grid repaired faster and shelter where they were after Hurricane Maria so many would not have come here.
Why should the US jump in and repair their electrical grid, that is not the way it is done stateside! If PR was not so corrupt they could not had let it get in such terrible shape to begin with or at least been able to borrow the money to get it up and going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 06:14 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Ever heard of long-term debilitating diseases that may impair people's ability to even move around, let alone work?
You are assuming that this person is able-bodied.

Also, you don't know how long has they been living in public housing. Just because they are 53 years old and living on public assistance doesnt mean that they have been living like that all their lives.
Ok, lets go with your assumption of disability.......yet she was fine with boarding a plane to a place she had never been? Seems pretty able bodied to me!

Do you really think she was just on disability for a month when the storm struck? I don't make that leap in guessing.....

Old 01-18-2018, 06:25 PM

94 posts, read 65,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok, lets go with your assumption of disability.......yet she was fine with boarding a plane to a place she had never been? Seems pretty able bodied to me!

Do you really think she was just on disability for a month when the storm struck? I don't make that leap in guessing.....

And she said she was going to look for a part time job here. Not disabled unless maybe the job is phone only.

I don't know why anyone with no money and no connections here would come to live in a sleazy hotel in Kissimmee. I would stay in PR and take my chances even if I had to live without power for a few months.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:33 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Why is Florida a host state?
What about other states that are more affordable with a lower cost of living?
and no hurricane threats.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
It was Puerto Rico that was the log jam.....the US...Trump...upped the aid from 75% to 90%..
Fake news. Trump said PR doesn't deserve any aid: https://theintercept.com/2018/01/18/...for-aid-money/

Old 01-18-2018, 07:24 PM

94 posts, read 65,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Fake news. Trump said PR doesn't deserve any aid: https://theintercept.com/2018/01/18/...for-aid-money/
Anyone can link to a random blog. That does not prove a thing.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
Anyone can link to a random blog. That does not prove a thing.
It's a news site. With news that's also been reported elsewhere.

Unless you're a trump voter. Then negative facts against trump don't matter

Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
If PR was not so corrupt they could not had let it get in such terrible shape to begin with or at least been able to borrow the money to get it up and going.
In the months previous to the hurricane, Puerto Rican politicians declared bankruptcy on some $72 billion in loans. No one knows where the money went. Not one indictment, not even one judicial investigation, just a lot of accounting fluff and a few wrist-slaps from connivers in Washington.

And I would be willing to bet that some of these ungrateful complainers who have come to Florida voted for these same politicians over the years.

We all have to look in the mirror and take responsibility for ourselves, personally, personal self-help.

Then, and only maybe, deserving of help from others.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:31 AM

617 posts, read 832,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's a news site. With news that's also been reported elsewhere.

Unless you're a trump voter. Then negative facts against trump don't matter
And I'm sure it's completely unbiased and would never skew the facts right? I've read enough of your posts to know that you are on the extreme left wing side, and I have a hard time believing you would get your news from a non-biased source. Also, anyone can claim to be a "news site" these days.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:11 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Why should the US jump in and repair their electrical grid, that is not the way it is done stateside! If PR was not so corrupt they could not had let it get in such terrible shape to begin with or at least been able to borrow the money to get it up and going.
If you don't want them here wasting your tax dollars on long term hotels than the best thing is to help them repair their homeland so they don't want to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida