Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:11 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times

Advertisements

You will know that you're aclimatized when it's 60 degrees and you're all bundled up because your body has become used to 90 degrees....jusk kiddig, but not really...a number of people do get a lot of use out of their furs & ski jackets down here...

It's not like you're going to build up a tolerance to heat. If you're always cold, then Florida is for you...If you don't like heat & humidity, this will be a bad move for you.

From June through November, it is beautifully humid & hot. You can take a shower, get dried off, be outside for 5 minutes & feel like you never dried off; however, this humidity is good for the skin...we don't dry out like in the northern states...but after living here awhile, you will notice how dry you get when you go up north....

If you continue to tan down here like you did up north (midwest & northeast), you will look like your grandmother and yourself are the same age.
For example, years ago, they said that one hour of Florida sun was equal to eight hours of Michigan sun...these days with the global warming, I would suspect to up that for Florida exposure...one hour at the beach would suffice most people daily, who want some color....and that would be between 9:30 and 11:30...or 3 and five in the afternoon....If you tan a lot between noon and three pm, you are asking for a visit from the skin cancer demons and the wrinkle fairies...And our winter sun is much more intense than our summer sun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 03:00 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
From someone that golfs in the middle of the day, in the hottest weather -in Georgia humidity:

Stay hydrated (drink h20), maintain salt in your diet - and stay away from air conditioned rooms/buildings. Just get outside and sweat - gradually more each day.
Great advise...
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/5.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/14.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/13.gif (broken link)

Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward48 View Post
What is the best method to get acclimatizedto the weather in Florida?

I thought when I moved down there, I would take walks, at least a little bit everyday.

Could some of you share some things you did, to help you get acclimatized to the weather?

Thanks

There is nothing you can do to get used to it. You either will like it, hate it, or just put up with it which most people do. I was born in South Florida and still can not get used to it.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
If you continue to tan down here like you did up north (midwest & northeast), you will look like your grandmother and yourself are the same age.
For example, years ago, they said that one hour of Florida sun was equal to eight hours of Michigan sun...these days with the global warming, I would suspect to up that for Florida exposure...one hour at the beach would suffice most people daily, who want some color....and that would be between 9:30 and 11:30...or 3 and five in the afternoon....If you tan a lot between noon and three pm, you are asking for a visit from the skin cancer demons and the wrinkle fairies...And our winter sun is much more intense than our summer sun...
This is great advise. I avoid the sun totally, I just don't want to deal with skin cancer down the road. I have watched my older family members get skin peels, things cut out, etc. I just don't want to go through that, so I avoid the sun. I wish more people knew what happens to their skin when the lay out in the sun.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
It takes about three years for your body to send the little vessels closer the the top of your skin so you can sweat better. It will get better and you will cool off.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
You also have to realize that FL is the the lightning capital of N. America. You can't get used to the weather because you'll be in your house most days unless you want to get struck by lightning. Besides the heat, that's why most people stay indoors during summer. I had many electronics ruined even with a surge protector. And many people get depressed also during those months.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
FLA lightening storms are very predictable. In Tampa, the bad weather builds up during the day , with the lightening come at 2 pm, then by 4 pm its nice again. Its a daily thing in Tampa during the Summer months. You can plan your day around it.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Heat is part of florida weather just like cold is part of the weather up north. Personally I would say go outside as much as you can it will make you more able to tolerate the heat. The worse thing you can do is close yourself up in your house 24/7.

I have been here over 20 years I`m so spoiled that I wont even swim unless it`s over 90 I guess I got used to the weather here.

I`m acually looking forward to some heat I`m ready for the cooler weather to be over.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 PM

34 posts, read 166,078 times
I was born in Miami the 4th generation of my family born in South Florida of Spanish ansistory even and I never got acclimated to it. Not realy.

The best you can do is learn how to avoid dehydration and heat stroke and do things to keep yourself from feeling myserable in it. Eventually you learn how to dress for the weather nice light cotton is good stuff! You get use to sweatting and learn to keep drinking water all day and learn to eat to deal with the heat. Remember to wear great sun screen and watch the skies for those darn storms...

Don't be one of those idiots who hides in inconditioned buildings. You can get horrably ill that way. Walk out of a nice cool building in to the heat and down you go before you know it or your lunch is comming up through your nose. Not good.

You'll either get use to it or you won't.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:37 PM

93 posts, read 385,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandrah View Post
I was born in Miami the 4th generation of my family born in South Florida of Spanish ansistory even and I never got acclimated to it. Not realy.

The best you can do is learn how to avoid dehydration and heat stroke and do things to keep yourself from feeling myserable in it. Eventually you learn how to dress for the weather nice light cotton is good stuff! You get use to sweatting and learn to keep drinking water all day and learn to eat to deal with the heat. Remember to wear great sun screen and watch the skies for those darn storms...

Don't be one of those idiots who hides in inconditioned buildings. You can get horrably ill that way. Walk out of a nice cool building in to the heat and down you go before you know it or your lunch is comming up through your nose. Not good.

You'll either get use to it or you won't.
Do you use any air conditioning? Or just got use to going without it? Do you just use fans in place of it?

Thanks for all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida