Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM

58 posts, read 130,512 times

Advertisements

Haha, no air conditioning. Not likely.

I ussually leave my air at 80-82 only turning it down when I need to (cooking a lot, need it to sleep sometimes, moving things etc) and use a fan at night. I know there are some people that keep air at like 72 or even the 60s. But that is really not good for your sinuses. Though a lot of buildings are overly airconditioned, I frequently bring sweaters with me places. I am now the type of person who gets cold in temps below 78/80 and I can wear long sleeve tshirts during the summer. But I have always been the type of person to get cold easily.

The thing that gets me the worst here is the alergies. I have lived in Fl for 5 years now and I never had bad alergies until I moved here. Its unbearable sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
Well I have been in Florida many times but I haven't spent a full summer in Florida. I am anticpating walking late in the evenings when the sun goes down.
just make sure to put on that bug spray, the mosquitos are at their worst at dawn and dusk.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Love your air conditioner, but don't ----LLLUUUHHH HHHUUUHHH HHUUUUVVVVV---- your air conditioner! And for god's sake, don't LUUURVE your air conditioner, or worship it, or build a shrine around it, or lavish it or take it to too many romantic dinners! Sweat is not a bad thing! Take some time apart from each other. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

But seriously, acclimatization requires a bit of abstinence. Get outside. Drive with the a/c off and the windows down. Use your a/c sparingly.

Here are some things you can do to be happier in South Florida:

Don't be afraid of sweat. Constant sweating = purification. Adjust your diet to limit the toxins that have to leave your skin. Generally sweat doesn't smell as awful during times of higher humidity. Rapid drying is what usually makes perspiration smell so awful. Remember, it's summer in SoFla so you are constantly being ionized and ozonated due to all the lightning storms and there's less pollution to coat your skin. One poster on here made a statement to the effect that they 'couldn't get used to the humidity because they still keep sweating'. My advice concerning that would be -- if you don't sweat - THEN start worrying!

Drink lots of water. Take it a step beyond - Drink plenty of electrolytes, like Gatorade, Powerade, etc. Eat bananas for potassium. Get plenty of salt intake. Pick up a cheap cooler and keep it in in your car. Freeze some containers of Gatorade for about 2 hours to make a gatorade slushy. Drink some before you freeze it or it won't freeze right. Freeze a bottle of water for 2 hrs only. Ice will form on the outside of the container, and then you can break it to have water with crushed ice.

Got a headache? Unscrew the cap of the water bottle slightly and allow it to drip drop by drop onto the crown of your head and your closed eyelids. This will also help with eye floaters much better than lukewarm water. These are some temperature pressure points to attend to for quick relief: Eyelids, ears, front of face, back of neck, crown of head, inside of elbows, top side of hands.

Carry a misting spray bottle in your car. Wet skin equalizes temperature between outside air and body and allows heat to radiate. Dry air or skin act like an insulator to the detriment of the person experiencing the heat.

Put a towel over your steering wheel when you park so you don't burn yourself.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward48 View Post
What is the best method to get acclimatizedto the weather in Florida?

I thought when I moved down there, I would take walks, at least a little bit everyday.

Could some of you share some things you did, to help you get acclimatized to the weather?

Thanks
1. Stayed out in the sun for no more than an hour at a time, for awhile.
2. Stayed hydrated . Very important when the humidity is high and hot.
3. Set the thermostat up higher so its not so much of a shock when leaving the house.
5. Cracked car windows and covered inside of windshield so it doesnt get as hot inside the car .
6. Kept telling myself its better than being shut in for 5 months at a time during cold, snowy, icy Illinois winters.
7. Kept telling myself the other 8 months of the year in Florida are very delightful and that i can go to the beach on Christmas Day .

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward48 View Post
What is the best method to get acclimatizedto the weather in Florida?

I thought when I moved down there, I would take walks, at least a little bit everyday.

Could some of you share some things you did, to help you get acclimatized to the weather?

Thanks
For me it just came over time. However when it gets to 90 degrees I don't spend alot of time outside unless I am on the ocean or at the pool. I always make sure to have PLENTY of water with me because I dehydrate quickly and with my fair skin I make sure I have sun block.

You know the weather doesn't bother you when you stop carrying an unbrella, you can always spot a newbie by the umbrella they drag out everytime it sprinkles.

Why on earth would you want to deprive yourself of an air conditioner when you live in a place like Florida??

Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassylass View Post
I ussually leave my air at 80-82 only turning it down when I need to (cooking a lot, need it to sleep sometimes, moving things etc) and use a fan at night. I know there are some people that keep air at like 72 or even the 60s.
I really agree with this. I've always hated hot, humid weather, but I'm doing fine here. We've been here about a year and we keep the a/c at 80F and sometimes I'm chilly and move it up slightly. I think having it lower would make it feel even hotter outside.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM

343 posts, read 1,045,928 times
I was in north Florida for 6 years. Never acclimated to the humidity. Glad to be gone.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I've been here 20 years and it gets worse because of AC.The old timers roll the windows down and live with it,not me.It is funny in that we lived thru the period with no fans nor ac just fine.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 54,582 times
I was born here, and I never got used to the weather. I like that it's so easy to keep a tan here, but I honestly like the feeling of cool wind blowing over my face, and dry, smooth mountain air...

I remember how nice the air was in Utah. It's so much less humid, and the air just had a nice taste for me as a native Floridian. Right now it's 88 degrees, and it's perfect if you want to tan because the sun's out, but if you're not out in your bathing suit tanning, enjoying it, you're in your t-shirt and jeans walking to the mall from your car, wondering why it has to be so bright you can't even see sometimes and why it has to feel like such an oven. I'm squinting all the time.

I keep my house at 74-70. Everyone in our family prefers it that way. We're of Russian and Swedish blood though, two of the coldest icebergs on Earth with actual civilisation on them lol. I don't know if that has any genetic impact on how we percieve temperature that we're from colder climates, but we always keep the house low and don't spend much time outside unless it's winter.

I do love Florida weather in November-January. It's more moderate then. If it was like that more throughout the year I wouldn't complain.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,202 times
You don't. I've been here for almost 13 years. When I just moved here, I did two hours of yardwork in the peak of the heat in the summer, kept myself hydrated, even doused myself with the hose. As I got older, around 10 years later, it has taken a toll on me, I get headaches and even if I take a cool shower and a nap, I don't feel too good afterwards. I have to take a Tylenol or something. I'm moving in about three years just to escape it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida