Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Whats a brain box rox?
brainbox
ˈbreɪnbɒks/Submit
nounBRITISHinformal
noun: brain-box
a very clever person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You should be concerned about safety in your own country of UK.

The UK has some of the highest violent crime rates in Europe. Yes I know that UK considers other classifications in it's violent crime rates and this is distorted. Still, I can offer support indicating that violent crime is SUBSTANTIALLY higher in the UK vs. the US making an apples to apples comparison.

No comparison

DEFINING VIOLENT CRIME ==============================
United Kingdom:

“Violent crime contains a wide range of offences, from minor assaults such as pushing and shoving that result in no physical harm through to serious incidents of wounding and murder. Around a half of violent incidents identified by both BCS and police statistics involve no injury to the victim.” (THOSB – CEW, page 17, paragraph 1.)

United States:

“In the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force.” (FBI – CUS – Violent Crime)

So please be carefull if you go to the uk without your gun, you might get pushed or heavens forbid shoved

And to be clear I actually don’t live in the UK and haven’t for twenty years , my time is spent between Spain and the USA and without a shadow of doubt I am less likely to come across violent crimes outside of the USA, and before you rant about don’t come again, being an adult I’d rather see change in the US than avoid it like most reasonable people.

Last edited by britinspain; 02-27-2018 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 02:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post

No comparison

United Kingdom:

“Violent crime contains a wide range of offences, from minor assaults such as pushing and shoving that result in no physical harm through to serious incidents of wounding and murder. Around a half of violent incidents identified by both BCS and police statistics involve no injury to the victim.” (THOSB – CEW, page 17, paragraph 1.)

United States:

“In the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force.” (FBI – CUS – Violent Crime)

So please be carefull if you go to the uk without your gun, you might get pushed or heavens forbid shoved

And to be clear I actually don’t live in the UK and haven’t for twenty years , my time is spent between Spain and the USA and without a shadow of doubt I am less likely to come across violent crimes outside of the USA, and before you rant about don’t come again, being an adult I’d rather see change in the US than avoid it like most reasonable people.
You need to start hanging around in better places while you're here.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You need to start hanging around in better places while you're here.
I've travelled very extensively across the US and have settled for what I believe to be a good compromise for me, I love Georgia and the Carolina's but chose Florida because I have to spend the summers in Spain and prefer warmer weather and obviously the winters are better in Florida.

The area I am currently is very residential and more middle class with nothing going on at all, ever, so a gun is not needed and I don't believe any of my neighbours own guns, that said around Leesburg, Tavares, Eustis and Mount Dora which are all decent places that I spend time the crime rate in general is very alarming,particularly where guns are concerned, more incidents happen in those places in a month than have happened in all of the southern coast of Spain in the last twenty years.

Don't get me wrong, I never feel unsafe while I am there but am very aware that guns are being used daily and people being shot weekly in a relatively small area, mostly at night with drugs or thefts from business's being the main themes but something should and needs to be done to stop this wherever possible.

I also see that my opinion is isolated growing up in a gun free culture and respect the fact the 2nd amendment is a constitutional issue that is embedded in everyone's daily life.

Coming from my background and with experience of both I would remove the 2nd amendment in an instant if I had the power, to save people from themselves and each other, I can guarantee your freedom will not be infringed upon by the loss of the 2nd amendment in 2018.

The above is not going to happen anytime soon unfortunately but will over the next generation or two if the kids shouting for change are anything to go by.

Today though there is a more pressing issue which is the mass shootings, particularly of kids in schools which cannot be allowed to continue, the only rational option is proper gun control and the removal of automatic weapons in whatever form they are to give your good guys with a gun the chance to do something rather than become another casualty.

Last edited by britinspain; 02-27-2018 at 03:25 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 03:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
I've travelled very extensively across the US and have settled for what I believe to be a good compromise for me, I love Georgia and the Carolina's but chose Florida because I have to spend the summers in Spain and prefer warmer weather and obviously the winters are better in Florida.

The area I am currently is very residential and more middle class with nothing going on at all, ever, so a gun is not needed and I don't believe any of my neighbours own guns, that said around Leesburg, Tavares, Eustis and Mount Dora which are all decent places that I spend time the crime rate in general is very alarming,particularly where guns are concerned, more incidents happen in those places in a month than have happened in all of the southern coast of Spain in the last twenty years.

Don't get me wrong, I never feel unsafe while I am there but am very aware that with guns being used daily and people being shot weekly in a relatively small area that something should and needs to be done to stop this wherever possible.

I also see that my opinion is isolated growing up in a gun free culture and respect the fact the 2nd amendment is a constitutional issue that is embedded in everyone's daily life.

Coming from my background and with experience of both I would remove the 2nd amendment in an instant if I had the power to save people from themselves and each other, I can guarantee your freedom will not be infringed upon by the loss of the 2nd amendment in 2018.

The above is not going to happen anytime soon unfortunately but will over the next generation or two if the kids shouting for change are anything to go by.

Today though there is a more pressing issue which is the mass shootings, particularly of kids in schools which cannot be allowed to continue, the only rational option is proper gun control and the removal of automatic weapons in whatever form they are to give your good guys with a gun the chance to do something rather than become another casualty.
Again, there are plenty of places in the US where violent crime is, essentially, non-existent. If you choose to live elsewhere, don't complain here. I'm curious as to what reporting is done of crime statistics in the Spanish area to which you're drawing comparisons.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:

No comparison

United Kingdom:

United States:

I addressed the differing measuring standards. Best estimate when equalizing the metrics is that it's about 700 or 800 per 100,000. So UK is NOT 5 times more violent than the US, only twice as violent.
Congratulations your home country is only twice as violent as the US.

Good thing you spend time in Spain and the US. Not sure why you aren't ranting about the crime in your home country of UK however, just because you don't live there is no reason to give up on it. Do you avoid the UK because crime is so bad?

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I addressed the differing measuring standards. Best estimate when equalizing the metrics is that it's about 700 or 800 per 100,000. So UK is NOT 5 times more violent than the US, only twice as violent.
Congratulations your home country is only twice as violent as the US.

Good thing you spend time in Spain and the US. Not sure why you aren't ranting about the crime in your home country of UK however, just because you don't live there is no reason to give up on it. Do you avoid the UK because crime is so bad?
Unbelievable

You must be on drugs to think anywhere else has the death rates or the crime of the USA, they go hand in hand, then again your the guy who thinks nukes are part and parcel of the 2nd amendment !

Last edited by britinspain; 02-27-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Again, there are plenty of places in the US where violent crime is, essentially, non-existent. If you choose to live elsewhere, don't complain here. I'm curious as to what reporting is done of crime statistics in the Spanish area to which you're drawing comparisons.
This thread's about Florida and I have my home in Lake county which I understand to be one of the safer counties in Florida, it' s very nice with lots of retirees due to the close proximity of the Villages but like everywhere now in the USA there are gun incidents weekly, if you show me somewhere in Florida with no gun crime I would certainly take a look at buying there ?

Regarding Spain, I read the Spanish news daily and can only recollect about 2 or 3 gun crimes on the coast where I am in the last 20 years, one was at Fuengirola and a couple at Puerto Banus near Marbella, both were carried out by Irish drug families.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Unbelievable

You must be on drugs to think anywhere else has the death rates or the crime of the USA, they go hand in hand, then again your the guy who thinks nukes are part and parcel of the 2nd amendment !
Neither of us mentioned the "death rate", but the violent crime rate - assaults, homicides, rapes, etc. Even corrected for apples to apples comparisons, it's higher in the UK than the US.

Not sure what you mean by nukes, I made no statement on that at all. You are new here right? Making statements saying "you must be on drugs" will probably results in your membership here not lasting particularly long. Attack the idea, not the person.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 AM

294 posts, read 233,148 times
Quote:
Neither of us mentioned the "death rate", but the violent crime rate - assaults, homicides, rapes, etc. Even corrected for apples to apples comparisons, it's higher in the UK than the US.

Not sure what you mean by nukes, I made no statement on that at all. You are new here right? Making statements saying "you must be on drugs" will probably results in your membership here not lasting particularly long. Attack the idea, not the person.
He was referring to previous posts saying everything and anything is protected by the 2nd Amendment. It has been pointed out many times that the Amendment is not absolute even by very conservative people and courts including SCOTUS. It was a point well made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida