Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 12:32 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,718,580 times

Advertisements

One thing that annoys me is this idea that Amazon's acquisition of Whole Foods is a nightmare for everyone else. Much like Apple according to Android fans, Amazon is a media darling. They even get credit for destroying companies they didn't even destroy!

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/win...ing-times.html

Really? Since most of the Southeastern closures were in Florida, I'll keep it Florida-centric. W-D shoppers were likely not driving out of the way to go to Whole Foods or even convert to online shopping for non perishables. They were likely defecting to Publix (when they realized that the prices are about the same but they keep most of their lanes open) or Walmart, Aldi and other discounters (who have truly low everyday prices instead of Winn-Dixie discounting a handful of popular products through its "Down Down Down" campaign but charging the same as Publix on the rest).

I think that Whole Foods under Amazon is more of a threat to "Whole Foods alternative" stores like Sprouts, Lucky's, and Earth Fare. Their main differentiator to Whole Foods seems to be price.

The Publix and Kroger type stores will be fine unless one or both of these things happen:

1). Natural/Organics become mainstream and becomes the standard for all food.
2). Amazon slowly converts Whole Foods into a conventional or truly mixed store like I hear people describe Wegmans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM

24 posts, read 39,518 times
Was back in Texas this week and took some photos of H-E-B Central Market. Makes Publix look like a Piggly Wiggly. Now I read that Publix is going to have valet parking? Seriously? Who needs that? That is just stupid. Now all of the parking spots near front are going to be reserved for valet and it's going to cause traffic. Is that all they could think of to lure people to Publix???? I would much prefer if Publix had better selection and better quality foods! Like a muffin that is not made with chemicals would be nice.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...stores-in.html

Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
Was back in Texas this week and took some photos of H-E-B Central Market. Makes Publix look like a Piggly Wiggly. Now I read that Publix is going to have valet parking? Seriously? Who needs that? That is just stupid. Now all of the parking spots near front are going to be reserved for valet and it's going to cause traffic. Is that all they could think of to lure people to Publix???? I would much prefer if Publix had better selection and better quality foods! Like a muffin that is not made with chemicals would be nice.

Couldn't read the article (something about limit reached) but if it's valet parking for a Publix downtown St-Pete, I'm all for it. There is little to no parking around there, so offering valet service will ensure that shoppers have a designated area to park, and that tourists and such don't take up those parking spaces. Some of their locations could definitely use it. The one by where I work (downtown Orlando) has parallel street parking. If you're lucky, you can park in the condo tower's parking garage -- if there's room. A section reserved for Publix valet would make parking much easier. No, simply erecting "Publix clients only" signs does not help, as many tend to ignore those.

If it's valet at all of their stores, I'm pretty certain it will be in an off-section not by the front of the store, like they do at various shopping malls.

As for H.E.B., aside from your muffins (I couldn't care less about store-bought muffins) all I see are massive bulk quantities. What makes the broccoli any more special than what other stores offer? The fact that it's sitting on an ice pyramid? Sorry but I just don't see it, even with the fancy pictures. Looks like a nice store, sure, but I'm missing something here.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:06 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Couldn't read the article (something about limit reached) but if it's valet parking for a Publix downtown St-Pete, I'm all for it. There is little to no parking around there, so offering valet service will ensure that shoppers have a designated area to park, and that tourists and such don't take up those parking spaces. Some of their locations could definitely use it. The one by where I work (downtown Orlando) has parallel street parking. If you're lucky, you can park in the condo tower's parking garage -- if there's room. A section reserved for Publix valet would make parking much easier. No, simply erecting "Publix clients only" signs does not help, as many tend to ignore those.

If it's valet at all of their stores, I'm pretty certain it will be in an off-section not by the front of the store, like they do at various shopping malls.

As for H.E.B., aside from your muffins (I couldn't care less about store-bought muffins) all I see are massive bulk quantities. What makes the broccoli any more special than what other stores offer? The fact that it's sitting on an ice pyramid? Sorry but I just don't see it, even with the fancy pictures. Looks like a nice store, sure, but I'm missing something here.
Yup to all of that ^^^^. I don't see a single special thing about H.E.B.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post

HEB and Central Market are fine stores. However, you're comparing Publix, a conventional grocery store to Central Market, which based on its description, looks like it is playing to the Whole Foods and Fresh Market crowds.

The valet parking is more of a trend in Florida city culture than Publix pulling at straws to get people into stores. Apparently, some Publix locations in ritzy Palm Beach County have had it for a few years already. It seems like everyone is offering valet parking now. Simon Malls is now charging for parking at its two outlet centers in Orlando in addition to valet parking. Everyday folk sit down restaurants offer valet parking here in the Orlando tourist district in addition to the higher end restaurants. There's even a megachurch here that offers valet parking to first time guests.

Kroger announced today that they are closing all of their stores in the Raleigh-Durham, NC market. (They will convert some of them to Harris-Teeter, a Publix-like store that started in NC but was bought by Kroger.) While business media will wrongly give Amazon/Whole Foods credit in the next few days despite the fact that Whole Foods only has a 1.7% national market share, Publix entered into that market about two years ago and Wegmans is on the way.

https://www.newsobserver.com/latest-...213090544.html

Publix may not be all things to all people, but they're doing something right.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

I'd say that the thing a few of the other stores have over Publix is how they display their items. Publix's presentation is good, but some other stores just seem to do it better. Publix offers a lot of the same things that these other stores do, but in my opinion, some of those obscure things (like shallots) may be easy to miss as they don't pop out at you like they do in other stores. They are also offered in limited quantities, perhaps because they don't sell a lot of them.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Kroger announced today that they are closing all of their stores in the Raleigh-Durham, NC market. (They will convert some of them to Harris-Teeter, a Publix-like store that started in NC but was bought by Kroger.) While business media will wrongly give Amazon/Whole Foods credit in the next few days despite the fact that Whole Foods only has a 1.7% national market share, Publix entered into that market about two years ago and Wegmans is on the way.

https://www.newsobserver.com/latest-...213090544.html

Publix may not be all things to all people, but they're doing something right.
On the flip side would we pretend to suppose that Publix wouldn't be adversely affected by the presence of Kroger/Harris Teeter or Wegman's here in Florida? I think the argument of Publix's dominance in the industry is a bit one sided since until now given they've yet to be truly challenged on their own home turf.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
On the flip side would we pretend to suppose that Publix wouldn't be adversely affected by the presence of Kroger/Harris Teeter or Wegman's here in Florida? I think the argument of Publix's dominance in the industry is a bit one sided since until now given they've yet to be truly challenged on their own home turf.
I don't believe that Publix is invincible though it may sound like I do from other posts on this thread .

They have already conceded some market share in Florida with the arrival of Lucky's and Sprouts to Florida. Aldi is also becoming more popular to people who don't want to play the couponing game anymore (where Publix is the favorite) yet still need to keep their expenses low. It's their Walmart alternative. Publix could be challenged by a new middle-market entry. The problem is that no one wants to come here and compete against their nearly 800 stores; certainly not a store with operations in the South already.

Publix competes against multiple stores outside of Florida including Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Ingles, Kroger, Bi-Lo, Piggly Wiggly, Super Target, Walmart, Save-A-Lot, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Earth Fare and also dealt with popular Sprouts in Atlanta before they expanded into Florida. Contrary to what people say, Publix is not inexperienced against competition. I think it's interesting that they are moving north instead of west. They could do some serious market disruption in Mississippi and Louisiana, yet they are going north where the competition is more robust.

I for one wanted Kroger to buy out Winn-Dixie when it was rumored to be a possibility and do some massive capital investment, but it looks like they are just feeding money to Whole Foods-alternative store Lucky's Market instead (without owning them).

Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 AM

8,026 posts, read 4,705,659 times
When The Fresh Market wanted to return to private ownership several years ago, Kroger was said to be interested in buying them out. It made sense, since Fresh Market has a large number of Florida stores--and Kroger had yet to gain any foothold in Florida. Instead, Fresh Market got bought out by a private-equity firm and it's been trouble for them ever since. I'm guessing Kroger could have been the better option for them. They just "won" the title of "Worst Company to Work For" in the US:

https://247wallst.com/special-report...s-to-work-for/

Old 06-14-2018, 10:20 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oh they are definitely not invincible. There just isn't much in terms of viable competition in the area. However, I must say Publix does a fine job at adapting to its surroundings. Depending on location, lots of them are set up in different ways, with some having lounges and Asian-style restaurants inside, particularly those near college campuses. I'm sure once competition arrives, they'll adjust.

I agree with an above poster that their display presentation of items isn't the greatest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida