Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:20 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kernan View Post
This is patently false. Your underlying assumption is that "you and everyone" (your hyperbolic words) has or even uses a credit card or a debit card or other "banking vehicle" in order to effectuate a transaction on "Walmart. COM"

Many Americans are "un-banked" customers.

Second, many Americans aren't dumb enough to put foodstuffs or grocery non-perishables on a damn credit card to add to their debt, and FINANCE food essentials (really stupid). This would be unsustainable in the longterm, for the customer and the credit grantor. I put all my groceries and everything else on a credit card, pay it off every month and reap the rewards. Been doing it for decades. So what?

Additionally, many Americans don't have access to the "internet", others are smart enough also not to have a detailed "footprint" of their habits and whereabouts on the internet! Are you afraid someone will find out how many crayons you buy?

Of course some people are quite stupid and gullible. Others are knowitalls with an agenda. If you trust online retailers you are a bonafide, card-carrying dunce.

Most Americans might be duped into allowing any company on the web, to correlate your personal buying habits, credit information, identity, preferences, imputed income, billing address, and perhaps your DELIVERY ADDRESS. Paranoia, the destroyer.

If they become that braindead and/or indifferent, they deserve the exposure and associated dangers.
Calm down before you get yourself banned again.

Only a fool would pay more for groceries than they have to just to get that fake smile you so famously call "service".

Publix is a scam. Buy one get one free? Right after they double the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 06:22 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,124,518 times
Online grocery shopping is great for home bound elderly or handicapped people who have difficulty getting out to a store.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:24 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,840,940 times
This notion of Publix in affluent areas being better than Publix in poor areas is hogwash.
I live in an extremely affluent area and my Publix has the same big name brands as the Publix in the ghetto. The same aisles of soda, snacks and canned goods. The same ice cream. The same meats and cupcakes and bags of charcoal. It’s not like the Publixes in rich neighborhoods have three floors of caviar, fairy godmothers and unicorns. They are all pretty much the same. Uninspiring and overpriced.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Online grocery shopping is great for home bound elderly or handicapped people who have difficulty getting out to a store.
And for lazy people or those so focused on having fun they can't do anything else.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,403 times
I'm sure there are many older/elderly people who embrace technology, but most people I know of that age group are not web savvy or even interested in online anything.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
People in Florida seem to be very enamored with Publix. More than likely because they have seen nothing better.
Only about 35% of Floridians were born here. The rest of us grew up elsewhere and feel like Publix has a lot to offer. For one, they're good at finding stuff from Where You Used to Live. Do you want five different kinds of instant grits? Taylor pork roll and frozen scrapple? A gallon of store brand mojo? To celebrate Fat Tueday with king cake, paczki and mojitos? Publix has that in stock.

And they're often far superior to grocery stores in other areas. Not all of us came from the land of Wegmans or HEB. I grew up in Michigan, land of the good but not great Meijers, and then spent a couple years in Tennessee where the local options were the Kroger of Despair (I don't get the love some feel for them; the typical Kroger I've been in aspires to be mediocre) and *shudder* Walmart. I'd also take Publix any day over a typical Safeway, Ralph's, King Soopers, or Giant Eagle.

Publix is not Whole Foods or Trader Joe's but they do middlebrow well, and when there's product overlap with the high end or niche stores, they'll often do well on pricing. Example- We go through a lot of Pomi tomato sauce because it manages to taste good without really any added salt, and it runs about 30% cheaper at Publix than anywhere else that carries it around here. We've also had good luck with a lot of Greenwise products like their ice cream.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kernan View Post
PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS is one of the best overall supermarkets in the nation, using lots of metrics. PUBLIX has made exceptional inroads in places like Atlanta, TN, and through their Carolina Division.
Publix does not have a Carolina Division. It has a Charlotte Division based in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
You know.....I think more of it depends on where their stores are located....and what their customers are
Our Winn Dixie is very up scale....much better quality and better variety than our closest Publix

Might try a store in a more upscale neighborhood
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
True. Winn Dixie is a total joke and has been for 28 years. It was nice in the 70's.
There are various reports speculating Southeastern Grocers, parent company of Winn-Dixie, is preparing to file for bankruptcy and close approximately 200 stores chain-wide. (Southeastern Grocers operates BI-LO, Fresco y Más, and Harvey's Supermarket also.)

Select Winn-Dixie stores across Florida have received updates in recent years. The updates may be late to turnaround Winn-Dixie.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This notion of Publix in affluent areas being better than Publix in poor areas is hogwash.
I live in an extremely affluent area and my Publix has the same big name brands as the Publix in the ghetto. The same aisles of soda, snacks and canned goods. The same ice cream. The same meats and cupcakes and bags of charcoal. It’s not like the Publixes in rich neighborhoods have three floors of caviar, fairy godmothers and unicorns. They are all pretty much the same. Uninspiring and overpriced.
Let's be honest here , Publix doesn't set up shop in poor areas. They research demographics before they open a store and it's mostly in middle income class suburbs and up.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:28 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
Just moved here (Orlando) from San Antonio, TX. Super disappointed in Publix quality. No online grocery shipping? No curbside grocery pickup? The bakery is a joke. Everything is artificial. The stores are so fluorescent and not modern. Produce quality sucks. Prepared foods are fried, greasy and small. Everything super expensive. Is this considered the best grocery store in Florida? Please please recommend something better.

Really missing Central Market in Texas.
For fresh food & veggies I suggest Fresh Fields in Orlando :

Orlando | Freshfields Farm

A lot cheaper than Publix in this regard.

Whole Foods and Luckey's is ok if you like spending $5 for 3 organic Lemons instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida