Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:01 PM

801 posts, read 452,206 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm interested in buying a home more or less "out in the country side" in Central Florida. Lived in Calif for 45 years, can't afford it now that I'm retired.

A friend lives in Eustis, and every time I visit I like the quietness, lack of traffic, amenities, parks, restaurants etc around there.
However I am looking for more land around me, like 5-10 acres, just because I like quiet and nature. We'd like to be in the country with as few audible neighbors as possible, but not too far away from civilization - especially good Internet!

Have looked at places north of Eustis up on both sides of Ocala... But have never been there yet.

I know obviously I'd want to look for signs of flooding or ask neighbors...

What about mosquitoes? Are they bad due to all the lakes and swamps? How bad are they?

Hurricanes: Do they affect all areas of FL? Is this area more or less safe from hurricane damage?

Forest fires?

Animal problems?

I guess internet is not always good in Florida? Anyone know of a map that shows internet availability for this area between - more or less - Eustis and Ocala? I'll do a google search but just wondering if someone has such a resource at hand. Am surprised that there seem to be areas with lousy net.

I was looking at a place by Georgetown I think it was called - on the east side of Ocala... Anyone know anything about that area?

Size of house is not important, but I've been seeing lot of offers of double wide "mobile homes" or premanufactured homes I guess they're called. Are these okay to buy or do they lose their value and require a lot of maintenance?

Recommendations / warnings are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 04:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Paisley, Astor, Altoona but check that the land is high .

A friend lives further north in Crescent City and loves it, but she got flooded out in Irma. It’s between two lakes in Putnam County which is Georgetown’s county as well.
Not sure about internet coverage there. My friend loves the place too much to care lol.
Lake George is awesome!!

Check out Umatilla. It’s just south of the forest. You can get some land in the unincorporated areas especially.

A friend lives in Umatilla ( actually more like Weirsdale) and has terribly slow internet.

Another friend lives off of 19/ Lake Yale by the forest on a couple of acres and gets excellent Internet. I think they’re actually in Altoona.

You might check out areas near Thomas Boat Landing Rd, Grande Isle, Lisbon.

I love the areas by the Emerelda Marsh - just remember it’s a marsh and plan accordingly.

If you check the listings for Umatilla you’ll see what’s around.

I’m not that fond of Ocala for whatever reason.

Howey-in-the- Hills is nice too but don’t know about finding land.

If you get a chance, take a drive around the Black Bear Scenic Byway up Sugarloaf Mountain and around Montverde-decent Internet there.

Just throwing out ideas. Sorrento has some large lots too.

Yes there are bears. I don’t consider them a problem. I suppose there are hogs around too but I’ve seen them more often in South Florida than Central. Just my experience.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 02-24-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Paisley, Astor, Altoona but check that the land is high .

A friend lives further north in Crescent City and loves it, but she got flooded out in Irma.

Check out Umatilla. It’s just south of the forest. You can get some land in the unincorporated areas especially.

A friend lives in Umatilla ( actually more like Weirsdale) and has terribly slow internet.

Another friend lives off of 19/ Lake Yale by the forest on a couple of acres and gets excellent Internet. I think they’re actually in Altoona.

You might check out areas near Thomas Boat Landing Rd, Grande Isle, Lisbon.

I love the areas by the Emerelda Marsh - just remember it’s a marsh and plan accordingly.

If you check the listings for Umatilla you’ll see what’s around.

I’m not that fond of Ocala for whatever reason.

Howey-in-the- Hills is nice too but don’t know about finding land.

If you get a chance, take a drive around the Black Bear Scenic Byway up Sugarloaf Mountain and around Montverde-decent Internet there.

Just throwing out ideas. Sorrento has some large lots too.

Yes there are bears. I don’t consider them a problem. I suppose there are hogs around too but I’ve seen them more often in South Florida than Central. Just my experience.
Wow! That's a wealth of info! Thanks a bunch!
I did look (on a popular realty web site) at Altoona and Umatilla and also Thomas Boat Landing Rd. Appreciate your ideas and info!

p.s. Bears don't bother me too much (of course that's relative; if there's one or more around that are real pests then that could be a problem). I was thinking more along the lines of rodent type pests: raccoons, squirrels, rats, etc.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Hi, I'm interested in buying a home more or less "out in the country side" in Central Florida. Lived in Calif for 45 years, can't afford it now that I'm retired.

Recommendations / warnings are appreciated.
Check for sinkholes. Central FL has a LOT of them.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:30 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Look up lightning alley and plan appropriately. A swath from Tampa to Orlando more lightning strikes than anywhere else in North America. Even NASA recognizes lightning alley https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sAa9dj770rIS-r

Old 02-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the tips!

Old 02-25-2018, 03:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Thanks for the tips!
This will help re sinkholes.

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Yes, thanks for the lightning and sinkhole tips ! Those are definitely issues to consider.

Another friend in Groveland loves the dense vegetation around her property but has a firebreak as well. She lives adjacent to a preserve area.

Of course her property could get hit but that’s the price you pay..

Florida does have rats and other critters that could be a pest problem.

Norway rats, roof rats, marsh rats ..

I guess squirrels and raccoons could be a problem
in some areas. Just never had a problem, except for the rare rabid raccoon scare.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil badlley View Post
What to look out for ? The market is about 25% overpriced
Good to know. Should be able to bargain then, no?

Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 PM

Thanks for more tips and info! Appreciate it. +Rep given to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida