Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 6,383 times

Advertisements

I'm a very big fan of the desert biome, and having lived in Palm Springs for several years, I can attest that the dry (searing) heat, elegant xeriscaping, and midcentury modern design combine to make that area sensually and aesthetically ideal for me.

However, those are not the only considerations I have in choosing a home right now. I see that I can get more house for the money in Florida, where I also have an abundance of family.

I also appreciate the down-to-earth vibe of Albuquerque where I've also lived, and where brown is truly the new green. But it's too cold for too long there, and overall things are just a bit too shabby.

So... If Palm Springs and Albuquerque had a baby *and never gave it golf clubs... I'm wondering where in Florida, among the great diversity of towns, cities and regions, is most 'similar' to Palm Springs in climate, culture, midcentury amenities, and landscape (aside from mountains obviously) ... And a place that yet keeps its pretensions to a minimum as much as its irrigation and standing water.

Most specifically, I'm looking for retirement communities with low HOA, no or low golf and recreation opportunities (I'm a very young barely qualified 55+ so don't need structured activities or facilities).

Commuting, nightlife, schools are immaterial, but solid infrastructure, total peace and quiet, and shopping are important. And xeriscaping (or the chance to do that for myself), and as FAR AWAY FROM 'extra' WATER (HAHAHA!) as possible in this state that is synonymous with water.

I'm thinking Sarasota or the Villages (I guess), but I haven't been around the state very much, so I welcome any and all suggestions, and already can hear the dearth pouring in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 03:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
I'd look at (and post your same question) in the Ocala subforum.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
https://www.55places.com/florida/area/ocala

also there are several less politically staunch rightwinged communities in and around and other than the Villages.....

Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 PM

240 posts, read 286,748 times
There is absolutely no place in Florida that is desert like. And it's all hot and humid. Your family should be able to tell you that. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the truth.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
yeah, FL is super not a desert.... it's humid and rainy, especially during the summer. Lots of thunder storms, random down pours, etc.

No deserts anywhere on the east coast.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:18 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,908,001 times
Nope. Florida doesn't have what you're looking for.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:22 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
There is absolutely no place in Florida that is desert like. And it's all hot and humid. Your family should be able to tell you that. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the truth.
I agree. I went to high school in New Mexico long ago. I then lived in Florida for about thirteen years - mostly in Tallahassee. But I also lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year.

There is no place similar to ABQ or Palm Springs in Florida - not at all. Albuquerque is high and dry with snow in the winter. Trust me. I've seen it many times. It does snow in Albuquerque. I've done construction labor at 6 AM in the winter at 22 F in ABQ. It's not exactly a hot desert in the winter.

Palm Springs is also very dry with desert foothills that are large. They have a wind tunnel facility out there because of the thermal drafts present much of the year. It is a hot desert much of the year.

Both ABQ and Palm Springs are ultra-dry. All counties in Florida are pretty much very humid and flat with dense vegetation from Escamba County of the Western Panhandle to Jacksonville and down to Miami.

The "closest" resemblance to Palm Springs may be Clermont, FL with its rolling huge hills. It's one of the rare places in FL that is not actually flat. But it is very humid much of the year. It also gets hot in the summer with that ugly "sticky" feeling not found in ABQ.

I moved back to my home state of AZ over a year ago and hiked up La Luz Trail by ABQ about two months ago to the summit of about 10678 feet. I loved hiking through the snow and aspen trees. The altitude and low O2 levels were hard but worth it. There is no place like that in FL.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:06 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
There is NOTHING anywhere east of the Rockies even remotely like that. I suggest you stay out west if you want a desert clime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida