Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:22 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisnita View Post
I am in Silicon Valley and plan to move to Central Florida next year, how you feel tornadoes, sinkholes, lightning and hurricanes impact your life in Orlando? take these factors serious or just ignore it when making relocation decision?
As much as earthquakes and wildfires in the Bay Area...

1) Tornadoes NO concern

2) Sinkholes NO concern (Orlando)

3) Lightening NO concern (I actually like lightening storms during summer as they are quite relaxing)

4) Hurricanes LOW concern (You know when they are coming way ahead of time and can plan accordingly, usually they end up being a reason to skip work or school for a couple days, I'm never in fear of losing my life or getting injured. If you live in a trailer park, than I would worry more though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
As much as earthquakes and wildfires in the Bay Area...

1) Tornadoes NO concern

2) Sinkholes NO concern (Orlando)

3) Lightening NO concern (I actually like lightening storms during summer as they are quite relaxing)

4) Hurricanes LOW concern (You know when they are coming way ahead of time and can plan accordingly, usually they end up being a reason to skip work or school for a couple days, I'm never in fear of losing my life or getting injured. If you live in a trailer park, than I would worry more though)

Clearly you have never been through a Cat 5 hurricane (in a concrete block house by the way), had half your roof fly off, and been without power for a month (Hurricane Andrew 1992).

Clearly you have never had a tornado rip out half your house (again, concrete block home), or had a hail storm totally ruin the hood of your car (Port Richey 2016).

Clearly you have never had a family member had their house burn down from a fire caused by lightning (Miami 2004). Oh yes, it's very very "relaxing" to have to move into a motel for a year while your house gets rebuilt from lightning-caused fire.

And clearly you have never had a neighbor's house swallowed up by the ground (Ocala 2012).

By the way, Orange County (Orlando) is one of the top most sinkhole prone counties in Florida.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../30/192278.htm

This is all so incredibly relaxing, I think I just fell asleep!

Why don't you go ask all the people in south and central Florida who lost their homes to Hurricane Irma how relaxed they are?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Clearly you have never been through a Cat 5 hurricane (in a concrete block house by the way), had half your roof fly off, and been without power for a month (Hurricane Andrew 1992).

Clearly you have never had a tornado rip out half your house (again, concrete block home), or had a hail storm totally ruin the hood of your car (Port Richey 2016).

Clearly you have never had a family member had their house burn down from a fire caused by lightning (Miami 2004). Oh yes, it's very very "relaxing" to have to move into a motel for a year while your house gets rebuilt from lightning-caused fire.

And clearly you have never had a neighbor's house swallowed up by the ground (Ocala 2012).

By the way, Orange County (Orlando) is one of the top most sinkhole prone counties in Florida.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../30/192278.htm

This is all so incredibly relaxing, I think I just fell asleep!

Why don't you go ask all the people in south and central Florida who lost their homes to Hurricane Irma how relaxed they are?
Clearly you dont realize most places around the world have at some point experienced a major natural disaster. I didn’t build a fallout shelter in Californi because of the next big one. Do you wear a tin foil hat and travel in a giant bubble too?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Clearly you dont realize most places around the world have at some point experienced a major natural disaster. I didn’t build a fallout shelter in Californi because of the next big one. Do you wear a tin foil hat and travel in a giant bubble too?
No I don't, but I also do not lie to myself and pretend like there's "NO" (your word) risk either. Especially since I have been personally affected by many natural disasters in Florida (and I have lived here longer than most Floridians, since I'm a native). Perhaps you have not been personally affected by any, and that's awesome! But there is a higher than average risk for natural disaster in Florida. Period. In fact, it's in the top 5 of most natural disaster prone states. Florida is a top state for lighting strikes. A top state for hurricanes. A top 10 state for tornadoes. Etc.

Someone may move to Florida and be negatively affected by hurricanes, lightning and tornadoes.
Someone may move to Florida and never be affected by hurricanes, lightning and tornadoes.
But if they move to Fargo or Calgary or San Francisco the chances of being affected by ANY of those three things are much much less.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-08-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
No I don't, but I also do not lie to myself and pretend like there's "NO" (your word) risk either. Especially since I have been personally affected by many natural disasters in Florida (and I have lived here longer than most Floridians, since I'm a native). Perhaps you have not been personally affected by any, and that's awesome! But there is a higher than average risk for natural disaster in Florida. Period. In fact, it's in the top 5 of most natural disaster prone states. Florida is a top state for lighting strikes. A top state for hurricanes. A top 10 state for tornadoes. Etc.

Someone may move to Florida and be negatively affected by hurricanes, lightning and tornadoes.
Someone may move to Florida and never be affected by hurricanes, lightning and tornadoes.
But if they move to Fargo or Calgary or San Francisco the chances of being affected by ANY of those three things are much much less.
Your reading comprehension is pretty bad... the OP is asking how people feel about the following things and you are arguing how I feel...

I'm sorry you are scared to leave your house unless you are equipped in a big bubble. I've lived in 8 cities, 2 countries, they all have had some major disasters in the past, but do people who live there lose sleep or pray to leave because of them... nope. Florida is no different. If anything earthquakes scare me more because there is no warning. I feel sorry for people like you who are so miserable.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Your reading comprehension is pretty bad... the OP is asking how people feel about the following things and you are arguing how I feel...

I'm sorry you are scared to leave your house unless you are equipped in a big bubble. I've lived in 8 cities, 2 countries, they all have had some major disasters in the past, but do people who live there lose sleep or pray to leave because of them... nope. Florida is no different. If anything earthquakes scare me more because there is no warning. I feel sorry for people like you who are so miserable.
I think it's your reading comprehension that's bad. I never said I'm scared or lose sleep or pray to leave anywhere. If I felt that way you can be assured I would not live in Florida. I am also not miserable. Unless I'm in France at the Nice airport and the only rental car available at Avis is a BMW. Then I'm pretty frakking unhappy!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:40 AM

62 posts, read 48,914 times
In Florida, I would love to live in Naples because of the seasonal tourist trade, there are plenty of restaurants and things to do. The crime rate is low and there is no shortage of job opportunities.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Florida leads in lightning strikes, doesn’t it? Lightning Alley is from Tampa to Orlando...

I enjoy lightning storms. I work outdoors and the rainy season always causes a panic for us.

I know so many people who have been struck by lighting; some more than once.

Nothing to be paranoid about. Just don’t be careless.

It’s great to be outdoors working when you get notifications on your phone telling you to get indoors due to lightning- and you can’t!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

But not other things just as deadly.

Every State has problems of a major kind. It is up to each person how they view them and none have ever kept me from living in 8 different States. All 8 had various problems such as a major earthquake that occurred 20 miles from my home in SoCal and a wing of a hospital collapsed.

I would rather live near a beach in FL than SF. Much better for sure.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:16 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
In the swamp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida