Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,047,903 times

Advertisements

https://bestlifeonline.com/miserable-cities/

It isn't even close, the peninsula has more cities listed than any other state.

2 of which I have resided in, Cape Coral I can understand; but Ft. Lauderdale?.

I would offer 2 theories:
A. A higher than average number of widows.
B. Lack of friends and family for support, an issue I dealt with upon relocating there 2 decades ago.

Would love to hear any other thoughts, perhaps the mix of everyone relocating from various other countries and states creates a lack of common interests?.

A sense of community is the reason such countries as Norway and Denmark are consistently rated most content on the planet, despite a cold climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:39 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Or have you ever thought it could be a stupid article with stupid metrics written by a stupid author?

You can't measure depression with things like the unemployment rate, do you think people in Spain are crying everyday in depression because they have a 16% unemployment rate?

It amazes me how so many people read garbage and think they are fact, 100% accurate etc. No wonder fake news is able to spread like wild fire lol.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,127 times
Florida really isn't a society as such it is a conglomeration of strangers. It is why if you seek to escape or vanish into obscurity there is no place better because everyone keeps to themselves, for the most part.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM

27,185 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
https://bestlifeonline.com/miserable-cities/

It isn't even close, the peninsula has more cities listed than any other state.

2 of which I have resided in, Cape Coral I can understand; but Ft. Lauderdale?.

I would offer 2 theories:
A. A higher than average number of widows.
B. Lack of friends and family for support, an issue I dealt with upon relocating there 2 decades ago.

Would love to hear any other thoughts, perhaps the mix of everyone relocating from various other countries and states creates a lack of common interests?.

A sense of community is the reason such countries as Norway and Denmark are consistently rated most content on the planet, despite a cold climate.
Florida also ranks very low on the household income metric which can have obvious repercussions to one's mental health if struggling to get by every month. Remember not that long ago most of FL lead the nation in rate of home foreclosures, and certainly hasn't shown any meteoric rise in personal wealth since.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM

6,407 posts, read 4,901,771 times
This means nothing. Its sunny and warm and a whole lot less depressing than the cold, cloudy and snowy North. I am infinitely less depressed since moving here.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:17 AM

27,185 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
This means nothing. Its sunny and warm and a whole lot less depressing than the cold, cloudy and snowy North. I am infinitely less depressed since moving here.
Well believe it or not, it isn't all about you.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I agree, people seem pretty happy too. Back in SF, mass homeless, shouting obcenities, poop and pee on sidewalks and parks, neighbors reporting neighbors if their trash can is slightly on the street, mid 30 year old professionals looking for a room for rent because they cant afford anything else... Florida overall seems much better even lower middle class people can still enjoy simple things like having a bbq.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Or have you ever thought it could be a stupid article with stupid metrics written by a stupid author?

You can't measure depression with things like the unemployment rate, do you think people in Spain are crying everyday in depression because they have a 16% unemployment rate?

It amazes me how so many people read garbage and think they are fact, 100% accurate etc. No wonder fake news is able to spread like wild fire lol.
Yet the only city in my state listed in the article(which I borrowed from another thread)is consistently rated the worst by every other publication, Rockford IL.

I have visited, it is depressing.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Tsunny and warm .
Humid and hot you meant right?

Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Humid and hot you meant right?
I love the weather in Florida, it’s one of the main reasons we moved to Florida. At the dog park yesterday i met a lady from Miami who just moved here (Orlando). Her biggest complaint was the weather is not hot enough. I know a lot of people who love hot weather and humidity (I’m one of them lol). To me thr weather is finally starting to get good. However, I know people who love snow and rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida