Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 AM

6 posts, read 6,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I grew up in Alaska and hated the cold, which has made me love tropical weather. I'm very happy with the weather in Florida, I actually find winter too cold, but it's the best within the continental US.

Tough to recommend where in Florida with the information given. Maybe check out Delray Beach and Boca Raton... they aren't cheap for Florida, but they aren't West Coast or NE prices either. If you don't have to be on the ocean, there are lots of communities around Orlando that would work.
I really want to be near the shore. I’m kind of leaning more towards the north east? Maybe east of Jacksonville/ Daytona. I think... I don’t want to go too far down into Florida and don’t want to be land locked.

I’m going to follow advice above and book a flight and spend a week somewhere. Since my job is online retail I don’t want to close shop for too long so thinking about going on a weekend with a Monday holiday to buy me some time.

Do you have any opinions of the north eastern coast or somewhere nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I grew up in Alaska and hated the cold, which has made me love tropical weather. I'm very happy with the weather in Florida, I actually find winter too cold, but it's the best within the continental US.

Tough to recommend where in Florida with the information given. Maybe check out Delray Beach and Boca Raton... they aren't cheap for Florida, but they aren't West Coast or NE prices either. If you don't have to be on the ocean, there are lots of communities around Orlando that would work.
I couldn’t agree more I HATE the cold in a way that’s unthinkable. I will miss snow on Christmas but I can definitely live without it although it will be a strange first time experience.

Each year it gets colder & colder and summer is shorter and let me tell you, the better part of my days are not developing strategies for how to scrape 2” of ice off my entire car or literally having to shovel my way out the front door which happened for a full week straight last winter. I’m leaning more and more towards Florida...give me the HEAT!

Thank you for the recommendations I will have a look at both of those places. I just want safe, clean, near ocean, semi affordable. A little bustle but not big city noise.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:03 AM

26,825 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA19499 View Post
I really want to be near the shore. I’m kind of leaning more towards the north east? Maybe east of Jacksonville/ Daytona. I think... I don’t want to go too far down into Florida and don’t want to be land locked.

I’m going to follow advice above and book a flight and spend a week somewhere. Since my job is online retail I don’t want to close shop for too long so thinking about going on a weekend with a Monday holiday to buy me some time.

I think everyone (or most) would agree Daytona Beach is probably not a good option. It's largely kind of sleazy/rundown and doesn't attract the most ideal visitors. Jacksonville is in boom mode and has a lot going on so think it could be a good option for you. There are several neighborhoods there you might find attractive for varying reasons whether closer to things to do or the beaches. Established neighborhoods like San Marco or Mandarin, the more trendy ones currently like Riverside or Avondale, or the more beach accessible like Jacksonville Beach or Neptune Beach. A wild card for you could be the city of Saint Augustine forty miles south which is seeing a significant flux of younger residents attracted to it's Old Florida vibe along with arts/culture, good restaurants and bars, etc. plus a pretty nice beach as well. Bear in mind it's much smaller (not quite 15K in population) and 45 minutes to an hour depending upon time of day to Jacksonville. JAX (Jacksonville's airport) has pretty good nonstop service with flights from Allegiant to/from Indy.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,244,026 times
Quote:

Look from Jacksonville South to Melbourne on the East Coast. Lots of variety in places to live and activities. Central, say Daytona to Melbourne, puts you close to Orlando as well, without the traffic.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,119,459 times
I live in Ormond-by-the-sea zip 32176. It is beachside (the strip of land between the Halifax River/Intercoastal waterway and the Atlantic Ocean). Living close to the ocean has advantages, we walk to the beach, see the ocean everyday and collect shells and swim whenever we want. But gardening close to the ocean is hard. Our soil is sand which sits on coquina, is salty and have salty breezes. Our water for our sprinklers comes from wells that have sulfur and iron.

If you can handle growing Simpson stopper, crinium, plumbago, palms, sea grape, Natal plum (carrisa), banana, cape honeysuckle and Indian hawthorn, our area would fit your needs. Good luck on your adventue and vaction.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
I live in Ormond-by-the-sea zip 32176. It is beachside (the strip of land between the Halifax River/Intercoastal waterway and the Atlantic Ocean). Living close to the ocean has advantages, we walk to the beach, see the ocean everyday and collect shells and swim whenever we want. But gardening close to the ocean is hard. Our soil is sand which sits on coquina, is salty and have salty breezes. Our water for our sprinklers comes from wells that have sulfur and iron.

If you can handle growing Simpson stopper, crinium, plumbago, palms, sea grape, Natal plum (carrisa), banana, cape honeysuckle and Indian hawthorn, our area would fit your needs. Good luck on your adventue and vaction.
We can never have it all can we I thought about that when deciding I wanted to be near the shore. I think my best bet is to find a place with a large porch or deck and adapt that way. Or compromise a bit on the vicinity of the ocean...

Thank you I need all the luck I can get!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 AM

459 posts, read 579,430 times
Quote:
We can never have it all can we I thought about that when deciding I wanted to be near the shore. I think my best bet is to find a place with a large porch or deck and adapt that way. Or compromise a bit on the vicinity of the ocean...

Thank you I need all the luck I can get!

Best bet is to stop half way or 2/3 way down and forget Florida. Traffic from hell, tons of very rude people in snowbird season (no hunting allowed unfortunately), very crowded stores, and most all places raise prices ~ 10% "in season" including Wal Mart.

Florida is a very high cost of living state with little to offer if you carefully look it over. Worst mistake I ever made was leaving Alaska after 38 years - 2nd was leaving SW Virginia after 17 years and the VERY worst was moving to Florida - got the hell out of there last year after 4 years or pure crap living and headed back north a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida