Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM

361 posts, read 258,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Just curious - what is everyone's fixation with "customer service" at a grocery store?

I don't get it.
For me, it's just like travel and having a (rare) good experience.

Here's an example. I was about to board a plane with my mom and her boyfriend. I volunteered to grab a sub (split three ways) before the flight. Publix subs are legendary. I ask for a turkey sub with coleslaw rather than slathered with mayonnaise. The Publix employee said we don't have coleslaw back here, paused, and then said, "wait a second", went to grab some prepackaged slaw to make the sub. Mom and her boyfriend loved the taste of that sub (as did I).

I've moved, asked the same question at my "new" publix, got rebuked. So yes, customer service can make a moment.

Look, it's not fixation with customer service, but when you get good customer service you might remember it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 08:07 PM

104 posts, read 60,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Nevermind .. Carolina Knight is lost in space..Cannot read back posts nor respond properly to them. I give up !!!!
I think she works for Publix marketing but pretends she doesn’t. She knows like every single supermarket in the region. she has visited many Publix and Winn Dixies and she is not lying about it because I am familiar with several stores in the region also and she is quite familiar with those stores.

As far as Publix I don’t shop there. The stores are clean, the service tends to be good but it is not convenient for me. Ever since I found out they supported some far right candidate I make sure I don’t buy anything there. They are not missing anything though. I don’t think I used to buy more than $50 a year there.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Who is "she"?

Seriously, I do not work for any supermarket or any grocery retailer. I do follow grocery stores as an interest. The Florida grocery market has changed in the past thirty years.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:51 PM

104 posts, read 60,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Who is "she"?

Seriously, I do not work for any supermarket or any grocery retailer. I do follow grocery stores as an interest. The Florida grocery market has changed in the past thirty years.
I don’t believe you. You know way too much about too many stores in FL and other states to be “just a hobby”.

I know a few stores myself and your knowledge is way too accurate to be “just an interest”.

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Who are you? Who who? Who who? ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

Last edited by Irene1999; 07-25-2018 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
Irene, you're definetely into something !!! Txs

Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Publix is not perfect, not every store is equal, but generally speaking it is nearly ubiquitous, clean and friendly. My particular store has a deep and broad range of products and is increasingly competitive in the organic/whole foods/green segment. Moreover, it accepts competitors' (admittedly few) prices and in any case I usually save at least one-third weekly off sticker prices with weekly ad, two-for-one (BOGO), etc. For those reasons, in my case anyway, combined with online shopping for certain dry goods, it is seldom worth it to drive to another food store, especially when I can literally walk to my Publix.

My understanding is that Publix pays its employees relatively well and offers only to them (not to the general public) stock shares in the company which pay a pretty good dividend (around 3% last time I checked).

Moreover, it is more than just a food business; it is also a real estate company that hires experts in the field, including architects. Many people make a career at or around Publix and it feeds millions of people.

One could possibly make the case that it wields too much power in the State of Florida.

Personally, I am not complaining, but I would like to see more emphasis on locally grown fruits in season, some of which unique on US soil, but I only find them on roadside or at specialized farms. Too bad.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 07-26-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 07:53 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Publix is not perfect, not every store is equal, but generally speaking it is nearly ubiquitous, clean and friendly. My particular store has a deep and broad range of products and is increasingly competitive in the organic/whole foods/green segment. Moreover, it accepts competitors' (admittedly few) prices and in any case I usually save at least one-third weekly off sticker prices with weekly ad, two-for-one (BOGO), etc. For those reasons, in my case anyway, combined with online shopping for certain dry goods, it is seldom worth it to drive to another food store, especially when I can literally walk to my Publix.

My understanding is that Publix pays its employees relatively well and offers only to them (not to the general public) stock shares in the company which pay a pretty good dividend (around 3% last time I checked).

Moreover, it is more than just a food business; it is also a real estate company that hires experts in the field, including architects. Many people make a career at or around Publix and it feeds millions of people.

One could possibly make the case that it wields too much power in the State of Florida.

Personally, I am not complaining, but I would like to see more emphasis on locally grown fruits in season, some of which unique on US soil, but I only find them on roadside or at specialized farms. Too bad.

Good Luck!
Well said.

As for the fruits, I couldn't agree more. It's a shame that the only place where I can find a variety of locally-grown citrus is at a fruit stand on the side of the road. This isn't just a Publix issue, but a Florida grocery store issue overall.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:15 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well said.

As for the fruits, I couldn't agree more. It's a shame that the only place where I can find a variety of locally-grown citrus is at a fruit stand on the side of the road. This isn't just a Publix issue, but a Florida grocery store issue overall.
I think the problem is that mainstream grocery stores like Publix have to order from certain suppliers, since a local business would maybe not have enough to supply all. But my Publix store DOES have a few local items. Here in Sarasota we have a couple of independently owned Amish grocery stores that carry a huge line of local/organic. That is probably your best bet for fresh local produce if you have access to this type of store. I agree that the produce is probably the weakest area of Publix.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think the problem is that mainstream grocery stores like Publix have to order from certain suppliers, since a local business would maybe not have enough to supply all. But my Publix store DOES have a few local items. Here in Sarasota we have a couple of independently owned Amish grocery stores that carry a huge line of local/organic. That is probably your best bet for fresh local produce if you have access to this type of store. I agree that the produce is probably the weakest area of Publix.
I've been to Yoder's a few times. I like that place.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree. The big chains are not going to be able to offer as many local non-perishables as smaller chains or especially single-site stores. I believe this desire for nearly everything to be local, especially at chain stores, costs more than the general public realizes and is willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida