U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:17 PM

374 posts, read 147,549 times

Advertisements

I currently live on 9 acres and even that's not always quiet enough for me due to one neighbor living only about 100 yards from my house who loves to make noise. (Long story; when I bought the property I thought no one would be able to build around me.)

I can't stand incessantly barking dogs. Dogs are fine but need to be trained and too often they are just allowed to bark incessantly throughout the day.

Does anywhere in Central FL have barking dog noise laws that are enforced? I used to live in CA and where I lived, dogs were not allowed to bark incessantly. Animal Control would tell people to keep their dogs quiet or else lose their dog license. I think that's a great idea. (Sorry for you dog owners who think it's fine to let your dogs bark all the time, this thread isn't meant to offend you; to each his own. I just don't wish to have you as neighbors!)

I like nature and if I could live in a place where the only sounds were birds and bees I'd be happy but I am wondering if there are any "communities" - as in gated communities - where lots are BIG and noise restrictions are enforced? Like maybe a "nature reserve" type community? Is this a ridiculous idea? Don't know. Never looked for it but maybe it exists?

I don't make noise to bother others and wish not to be bothered by others' noise.

Open to suggestions. But please don't post to tell me I just have to put up with noise in the world. I probably do but I'm looking for a place where peace and quiet is valued.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 05:00 AM

22,455 posts, read 33,311,137 times
Check in/around Geneva and Chuluota. There are several gated communities with multiple acre lots that are HOAs with some form of restrictions on annoyances like that. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/12_zm/

Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM

618 posts, read 591,401 times
Not sure what your age is but if you head up towards The Villages, there are plenty of 55+ housing communities that are absolutely silent. I visit my grandparents there every so often and am always amazed at how I can step outside at night and not hear a single thing other than the crickets/bugs chirping (It's Florida after all, you'll never escape that noise here).

What makes this silence even more amazing is that these are master planned communities so you don't have any land, just house after house. Retirees do enjoy their quiet time though. You could also buy some land a little bit outside of The Villages since this area is quiet in general. Less congested than Orlando with more of a country feel. Should be able to get more acreage for a lesser price.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,289,267 times
You have 2 options.

If you like large acreage lots, your only real option is to buy more acreage to insulate yourself from neighbors and noise. 20 or 40 acres with a house built to maximize distance to adjacent properties should be good.

But the country life brings animal noises. That's the least of my concerns. I'm more concerned about a neighbor using his property as a shooting or hunting range and a stray bullet maiming me. Shooting including semi automatics happens a lot on large acreage and there isn't a thing you can do about it under FL law if the lot is zoned for greater than 1 acre.

You probably should look for a HOA community.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 PM

Thanks. Appreciate all the responses, hope for more!
An HOA with great rules re noise that they ENFORCE would be great. At the same time I don't want to be severely restricted re other things. But I'll look into it. Especially if there are HOA's with large lots...

Where we live now we have cicadas that are very loud in the evening, hawks that go ca-caaaa, ca-caaa and etc but at night the only sound really are some birds that go woo-woo-woo-woo-whoooooo and sometimes that's annoying but it's not that bad.

The main thing I hate are dogs barking, and noisy people (loud music, stereos, roosters, geese, kids, ATV's etc.) and machines.

I love my loud music but I would never bother neighbors with it. Where I live now I can turn my music up as loud as my amp will take it and no one will hear it. BUT I have neighbors a 1/4 mile away who have some super loud huge speakers and they blast music and/or soccer games sometimes that I can hear from that far away! It's not terrible but it is annoying. I say "Why the h**l do they need to have it THAT loud??! And another neighbor 100 yards away who doesn't mind noise at all and he is always having loud machinery or dogs barking or just yelling...

If I lived in a place where I couldn't play loud music without bothering anyone, no problem, I'd use headphones as I have done when I lived in apartments. I can abide by noise rules and prefer that to hearing noise!

But a 1-2 acre lot plus restrictions on noise would be fantastic.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:20 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,588,469 times
Birds that go woooo woooo whooo etc lol

I almost bought some property that backs up to a nature preserve that prohibited hunting. Decided not to.

Good thing because a few years later the preserve began to allow hunting.

Just something else to consider in your search.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:56 PM

Thanks ByeByeLW. Yes, all these things make finding a truly quiet place to live difficult.
I truly wish I'd been born like so many other people I know, who are not bothered by noise at all! It's a curse to be noise-sensitive.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check in/around Geneva and Chuluota. There are several gated communities with multiple acre lots that are HOAs with some form of restrictions on annoyances like that. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/12_zm/
Good tip re the area but these gated communities seem to only have homes and lots running around half a million $. More than twice my price range. But will keep looking around there anyway.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:03 PM

448 posts, read 329,102 times
Try the ocala national forest. I know a few people that live in there, and they say its pretty quiet.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 AM

11,670 posts, read 8,369,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
Try the ocala national forest. I know a few people that live in there, and they say its pretty quiet.
Like the Rainbow People?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or