U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 7,512 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm hoping there might be some people on here that have relocated to Florida for a job and can give me some advice.

Husband and I and the two kids are relocating to FL-near Palm Coast this year. He got a job for the City of Palm Coast and I will be looking for one once I move down there as well.

He has to be down there by the end of July so we are trying to figure out housing. We currently have our house on the market and most likely won't be able to buy a house until our current house sells. The question comes in though should we rent first and then buy later? Also I don't want to be moving the kids around from school to school so ideally if we do rent first, I would like to stay in that school district. It just seems the rental prices are a lot higher per month then just buying a house.

Kids and I won't move down until our house sells but he needs a place to live by the end of July. I was looking at doing an air b and b but I also believe he needs to have an address and florida's driver's license within his first month of employment.

If anyone has relocated to Florida for a job, how did you go about it. Did you buy right away or did you rent. If you did buy, did you regret your location.

I want to do what is best for the kids but also be sure I put us in a location where i can find a job as well. We are currently looking into Port Orange as an option or St. Augustine.

Thank you for any feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,626,610 times
I live in Ormond-by-the-sea zip 32176 which is about 15 miles from Palm Coast. I don't know why you would consider Port Orange. It is south of Daytona Beach and doesnt offer anything you won't find closer. I hear from friends that live in Palm Coast some sections are sketchy and you wouldn't be happy buying in a sketchy section.

Rent first. If your husband works for the city, he will quickly find out which parts are better than others.

When we moved to Florida, we came down and vacationed for a week in August a few miles (same zip) from where we bought. We came down during spring break the following year and found our house. We had two houses and had two pay two mortgages for 10 months. Unless you have a boatload of cash you don't mind being tied up for a year, don't buy a house here before you sell your house. Another thing that can happen is the city changes priorities and your husband (the new out of state employee) end up without a mob. RENT first.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:19 PM

15 posts, read 7,512 times
We were considering port orange since it would give me the option of finding a job as well and schools were all 7 or higher. We both are in parks and recreation field so I’m worried about me finding a job in parks and rec field. I felt port orange gives him an option to go up to palm coast but I could go as far as lake Mary/Longwood outside of Orlando if needed for job opportunities.

It seems there are more parks and rec jobs from port orange, new Smyrna, Deltona, etc that I could commute too. I also would consider st Augustine.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 PM

9 posts, read 15,702 times
We are relocating to st Augustine in the next month or two. We are buying because we have large dogs and renting would be twice as expensive. We considered Palm Coast but have been scared away by the resale horror stories and the fact that there can be good and bad areas in the same neighborhood. St Augustine is right between Palm Coast and Jacksonville which should give you more choice as far as work is concerned. We are looking at St Augustine, St Augustine Beach, and Crescent Beach as we prefer that environment more than the other areas in the county. We have spent quite a lot of time down there so we are comfortable with the idea of purchasing.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 PM

18,177 posts, read 12,271,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeppers4 View Post
We were considering port orange since it would give me the option of finding a job as well and schools were all 7 or higher. We both are in parks and recreation field so I’m worried about me finding a job in parks and rec field. I felt port orange gives him an option to go up to palm coast but I could go as far as lake Mary/Longwood outside of Orlando if needed for job opportunities.

It seems there are more parks and rec jobs from port orange, new Smyrna, Deltona, etc that I could commute too. I also would consider st Augustine.
Good areas.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 AM

22,522 posts, read 33,443,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeejunkiemom View Post
We are relocating to st Augustine in the next month or two. We are buying because we have large dogs and renting would be twice as expensive. We considered Palm Coast but have been scared away by the resale horror stories and the fact that there can be good and bad areas in the same neighborhood. St Augustine is right between Palm Coast and Jacksonville which should give you more choice as far as work is concerned. We are looking at St Augustine, St Augustine Beach, and Crescent Beach as we prefer that environment more than the other areas in the county. We have spent quite a lot of time down there so we are comfortable with the idea of purchasing.
I agree with these assessments and also in terms of work options as Palm Coast is somewhat limited, especially if looking for anything paying much above minimum wage. The NW side of St Augustine (off of SR16) offers some nice neighborhoods that are reasonably priced and provide easy on/off access to I-95 for commutes to Palm Coast or to the north into the south side of Jacksonville.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,626,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeppers4 View Post

All the more reason to rent when you get here.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:00 AM

9,659 posts, read 21,368,657 times
It would be in your best interest to rent the first year that way you can decide where you want to live. If the kids have to move at the end of the school year, so be it. Take that first year to do your research on the area, schools and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or