U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM

54 posts, read 179,328 times
Default How do I get stray cats from using my yard as a litterbox???

Help! Local floridians, my neighbor took in a stray pregnant cat which had kittens and now they use my yard as a litter box and my neighboor's as a feeding ground. About six cats are dumping in my front and back little gardens, I have tried pepper sprinkles from home depot, clorox , I changed the wood chips twice, and cleaned out the **** but those little *******s won't stop. I talked to the neighboor, he is trying to find them a new home, then I tried the Humane Society they said to trap the cats myself and bring them in!! I don't hate the cats I just want them to stop pooping in my yard. Any suggestions? Seriously now I can't kill them ...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-12-2006, 04:55 PM

2,813 posts, read 8,704,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4myMountain View Post
Help! Local floridians, my neighbor took in a stray pregnant cat which had kittens and now they use my yard as a litter box and my neighboor's as a feeding ground. About six cats are dumping in my front and back little gardens, I have tried pepper sprinkles from home depot, clorox , I changed the wood chips twice, and cleaned out the **** but those little *******s won't stop. I talked to the neighboor, he is trying to find them a new home, then I tried the Humane Society they said to trap the cats myself and bring them in!! I don't hate the cats I just want them to stop pooping in my yard. Any suggestions? Seriously now I can't kill them ...thanks
I know it sounds strange...and I did this to repel raccoons, so I don't know if it would work with cats...
But I poured my own urine on the edges of my yard, around the trees and bushes and then sprinkled it throughout the lawn. I had a real problem with raccoons harassing me in my own yard and growling at me and I was actually frightened of being attacked. I'm extremely territorial!!!! I paid that mortgage, not those d a m n raccoons!! And I did the urine thing every other day or so for about a week. They stayed away. I wonder if it would work on cats?

Unread 12-12-2006, 06:54 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,159,537 times
Contact the local SPCA and problem solved. They will find a home for the cats and problem solve. If you want the problem taken care just do it...!

http://www.ohs-spca.org/

Unread 12-12-2006, 09:51 PM

598 posts, read 1,404,040 times
If they are going in your planting beds, try replacing the mulch with large rough rock. Cats like a place where they can dig and the rock isn't the right "feel" for them Now if it's the WHOLE yard, well that will take some thought... hmmm... The trick is to make it feel yucky to them. How about a motion sensitive sprinkler system? lol

Unread 12-13-2006, 08:03 AM

126 posts, read 169,021 times
The good news is, as long as the cats are around, you shouldn't have any problem with moles. After years of battling moles that were tearing up my entire yard and trying all kinds of solutions (from hi-tech on down) my daughter gave me a cat and the moles disappeared.

Unread 12-13-2006, 09:05 AM

482 posts, read 1,439,561 times
Thumbs down Call a pet rescue organization and leave the killing to Rambo

She already said she doesn't want to kill them so why post such an inhumane reply?
Unreal.

Last edited by Annie of Oldsmar; 09-24-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Unread 12-13-2006, 09:19 AM

6,490 posts, read 10,514,417 times
You might try spraying citrus oil. It's harmless to most plants except ferns (read the label to be sure) and cats hate the smell. Or better yet, just spray it on the ground. Many household products contain it, like cleaners and furniture polish. So if you can't find straight citrus oil, you can use the commercial product containing it. Animals are also frequently repelled by mothballs. So why not try both?

Unread 12-13-2006, 09:37 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,130,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4myMountain View Post

Wish I had an answer for you. All my cats are indoors most of the time and they have litter boxes so even when they do go outside now and, yeah, they jump fences and lie in the sun in the neighbors' yards, they use the litter boxes when they come in. I hope they're not doing anything anywhere else because I wouldn't want to upset the neighbors and I wouldn't want anyone to be cruel to my kitties. I'd end up in jail.

Unread 12-13-2006, 10:11 AM

3 posts
ya gt ne - I was having a problem with outdoor cats trying to attack my indoor cats through the screens -- somebody told me camphor -- but with kittens, you don't wanna use something that might make them sick or kill em. Guess you can douse them with water from your hose if you catch them in the act.

Unread 12-13-2006, 01:37 PM

627 posts, read 1,938,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I know it sounds strange...and I did this to repel raccoons, so I don't know if it would work with cats...
But I poured my own urine on the edges of my yard, around the trees and bushes and then sprinkled it throughout the lawn. I had a real problem with raccoons harassing me in my own yard and growling at me and I was actually frightened of being attacked. I'm extremely territorial!!!! I paid that mortgage, not those d a m n raccoons!! And I did the urine thing every other day or so for about a week. They stayed away. I wonder if it would work on cats?

Hahahaha My hubby does that too! It keeps the Bear from Pic-a-nicking out of the Trash Cans and come to think of it, the Bobcats have not even been in the yard! Those are two critters I do not like to "Clean Up After" if you know what I mean! So, it MIGHT work on cats too. hahahaha -=Still Chuclke'n=-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida